Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: Safety use. How do you use your safety?
Always on, until I see a target fish 24 15.19%
On until I suspect I will see a target fish 21 13.29%
It depends on my instincts 11 6.96%
Always or usually off 102 64.56%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2003, 04:05 AM   #31
Kasshia

Quote:
A number of you guys have actually REMOVED your safety. I assume that you could have just left it off. Have you had a problem with it engaging when it was off or are you just worried that you might leave it on?
Actually, neither of those reasons. I took the safeties off the my guns because carrying what I know about safety over from firearms I consider a simple trigger block safety to be the worst kind to rely on. A safety that blocks the firing mechanism is better, but as I have learned over the years, nothing mechanical, or electrical for that matter, can be 100% reliable.

To reiterate, the only really good safety is the knowledge housed in the users brain housing group.
Kasshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:44 AM   #32
f94gator

Just an observation, seems to me that most safeties on firearms are placed so that they can be switched off very quickly and easily.
But on my speargun, it is located on the right side of the trigger assembly - since I'm right handed, this is on the wrong side when I'm up and aiming, and not even convenient to turn off when I'm bringing the gun up to shoot. Why make it so hard?
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:45 AM   #33
junior

The safety mechanism could probably be improved so that is more easily used. I agree that when hunting alone, which most people do most of the time, it is reasonable to have the safety disengaged or for that matter, removed.

I just don't really see the point in removing the safety. IMHO, I don't think it's any easier to inadvertantly turn the safety on and miss a shot than it is to accidentally fire your gun and shoot your buddy in the ass.

Screen, I'd dive with you any day and not worry about you shooting me. I'd be more assured of you out shooting me
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:09 AM   #34
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

[quote]Originally posted by junior
[I just don't really see the point in removing the safety. IMHO, I don't think it's any easier to inadvertantly turn the safety on and miss a shot than it is to accidentally fire your gun and shoot your buddy in the ass.

for me that would be impossible as my muzzle is never pointed at anyone saftey or no saftey.I see this rule broken most when poeple are ascending and their gun is pointed down with another diver below
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 06:36 AM   #35
GeauxSaints
Making fish sleep.

Send a message via MSN to GeauxSaints
I took the safety off of my gun too and use the bands on on the way down but I leave them on till the end of my safety stop where I move to lineshaft mode. I've gotten several nice fish hanging out for that 3-5 minutes.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:52 AM   #36
bgbill

Quote:
Originally posted by f94gator
Just an observation, seems to me that most safeties on firearms are placed so that they can be switched off very quickly and easily.
But on my speargun, it is located on the right side of the trigger assembly - since I'm right handed, this is on the wrong side when I'm up and aiming, and not even convenient to turn off when I'm bringing the gun up to shoot. Why make it so hard?
If it is a Biller or a Sea Hornet you can turn the safety around and put it on the left side.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:21 AM   #37
BenthicView

The only safety I trust are the bands. If the bands are cocked assume no safety works 100% of the time. I doubt you would get accidently shot by a gun without the bands pulled back.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:09 AM   #38
f94gator

Quote:
Originally posted by bgbill
If it is a Biller or a Sea Hornet you can turn the safety around and put it on the left side.
That's great, but why the hell put it on the wrong side to begin with? Are the majority of spearfishermen left-handed or something?
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
Fej

Re: Speargun Safety

My gun has no safety. Not that I ever trusted the safeties on any other guns I've used...
Fej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
xrispearo
you cant see mee

this thread is 10 years old. I don't know who voted in the poll to bring it back to life today?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #41
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

I try to keep my safety on until I am ready sometimes I forget but my gun is never pointed in the direction of my buddy, nor do I ascend with bands pulled back once times up that's it!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #42
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

I don't consider this current discussion a 'resurrection' of topic, gettig shot in the glutes is always worth avoiding!
And there are many new members since 03, Lots of new shooters with some good questions.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #43
mauidivah
Dive Bomb

My spearguns have no saftey.

FOR HAWAIIANS, DIVING IS NOT A SPORT ITS A WAY OF LIFE
mauidivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #44
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Talking Re: Speargun Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
this thread is 10 years old. I don't know who voted in the poll to bring it back to life today?
Why not?

The subject is relevant today and the thread's original posters bring back some distant almost lost memories.

T

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #45
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Safeties on RA guns are really hard to disengage while the gun is loaded.

Loaded guns are handled like firearms, and never pointed at anything that you dont want to kill or destroy.

Wish it was easier.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote