Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Update your Dive Boat with a Genset

...As an avid coffee drinker and squid hunter, I needed to add a generator to my dive boat for more power to light up the water to draw in squid and heat up a hot cup of coffee on cold nites. After reading Consumer Reports and doing some online reviewing, I settled for a Predator 2000 watt (# 62523) portable inverter/generator. At a cost of less than $500, it matches both, the more expensive Yamaha 2000's and Honda gensets which cost $900 to $1500....
...All have similar specs and get solid reviews for power quality, especially important for sensitive electronics...All three are quiet and easy to use.
...Each unit rated Very Good...I purchased the Predator, based on cost, ($449 with coupon or sale at Harbor Freight) and have been very pleased with it's performance, especially the 61 db noise level...just remember to run it at least once a month to prevent fuel gum up and hard starting..
...For coffee affectionados on a lower budget, consider the 12 volt Anex coffee maker, which makes 2 to 4 cups and plugs into 12 volt DC receptacles...

Wink at my small faults (a fondness for giving unwanted advice)--remember, thou hast great ones......another platitude from B. Franklin and B. Ballew

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 01-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
Pfish

Re: Update your Dive Boat with a Genset

Bob, I would add that you only put ethanol free gas in your genset. It will help a lot in keeping in gunk free. Google Ethanol free gas in your area. 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
sealark

Use any gas, put a little, like a shot glass of mystery oil or 2 cycle oil in the gas. Works great on my 2000 honda.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Kadman

Hi Bob, Do you tie the Genset in to your boat's electrical system or run it separately? I also have a Parker 2520 and would love to have extra power to run lights and a small micro wave while out on the water chasing bugs and fish. Cheers, Kadman
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

I keep it separate so I can remove it from the boat and have it at home in case of the big quake, a sudden power outage and/or to keep the boat weight down when it isn't needed. I remove all electronics from my boat after trips, to reduce the chance of theft from the storage yard. The hard part is remembering to run it once a month.....
Old 01-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
NaClAddict

Doesn’t hurt to fog the working parts with Wd-40 or silicone either.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Kadman

Thanks Bob.

Cheers, Kadman
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
pierreyaldo

Update your Dive Boat with a Genset

What is the advantage of a heavy generator on the boat over just running the boat engines (as long as the engines work...). Just curious

Last edited by pierreyaldo; 01-27-2019 at 12:01 AM.
pierreyaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Bob Ballew

With outboard engines, elec. output is limited. Squid lights draw a lot of amps for the brightness needed to pull up squid from the bottom. The gen set only weighs about 45 pounds and can be carried with one hand. It's dual use (12 volt and 120 ) possibilities make it a good addition to your electronics...it can also charge a dead battery and comes with clips for charging..a positive if you run your batteries down way out on the deep blue...