Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
hidiver

Two piece speargun spear?

Hi all, new to the forum...

I am in the process of finding a new (shorter) case for my gun and fins when traveling by air, and have come to the conclusion that if I can use a two-piece spear that is shorter than my gun, I can get around the airlines oversize bag limit or at least really close to it.

I have a Riffe MT2 with a 48" threaded spear, so when you take a 50" long gun case from 62" overall dimensions, there isn't much left (I can drop to a 40" case with a two piece spear, leaving lots of height/width left). I tried to search on here for two piece spears but the search tool doesn't allow the word "two" and every travel spear thread I found was for pole spears. I tried to get ahold of Riffe and ask about a break down spear, or just buy one at 50" and have a machine shop cut it in half and thread/tap both ends, but they have failed to respond.

What is the general consensus on the travel spears (JBL and Riffe make them I know)? Do they ever come unscrewed while landing a fish? Has anybody ever done this simple project before?

Thanks, and shoot straight!
hidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
cksea

Re: Two piece speargun spear?

I emailed ray odor about it a while ago, I asked him about a 2 piece for a euro gun. His response

I don't do the Euro notch and if I made the shaft in 2 pc., it would brake soon as you shot a 15/20# fish.
Hardened steel works that way when you make a 6mm thread to screw it together in 3 foot lengths.
Never done it before or had anyone ask me to.
Sorry, Ray
cksea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
djsmits305
DJ

Send a message via Skype™ to djsmits305

Take the spear out. It shouldn't be much longer than your gun itself...Mine is just a couple inches longer.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Alec

I constantly use the riffe (medium?) case. Its about 65" long and i can fit my wong hybrid, wooden gun, shafts, and wetsuits in it. All you have to do is check it in, i doubt your trying to carry-on a speargun. This is within the continental US, ive never once had a problem with the length, as long as its <50lbs. What airline are you using?
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
phil herranen

mori will make them but it will cost you around $200 .i would just use a shorter shaft with a thread on tip , a threaded shaft (with out the tip )should be the same length as the gun , you can use a 44" shaft on that gun . riffe guns come stock with way too much overhang
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
hidiver

I always fly Delta. The gun is 38", so the spear adds about 10". I went to La Paz a month ago with a ~35# case with total dimensions of 68" (6" over thier limit) and didn't have any problems, but would like to get a longer gun this fall, and with a spear too much longer, I just didn't want to show up to the counter one day expecting my bags free as always, then get hit with $175 oversize fee.

I hadn't thought about the threaded portion being weaker, kinda why I was asking around before I bought another spear and chopped it in half. I live in central Texas and have never speared in the continental US (other than the pond in my front yard, but don't have to worry about travel cases then), always in Mexico or Hawaii. Lots of people ask about the fishing off oil rigs in the Gulf when I travel, but I don't have anybody to go with here, so I know more about spearing 2-6k miles away than I do 200 miles away.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidiver View Post
The gun is 38"
if the gun is 38" it is a mt 1 not a mt 2
http://www.speargun.com/index.php?op...id=9:spearguns

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
hidiver

Sorry, I knew I had the second gun in the series. I forgot about the "0" model. The spear is definitely 48" though, so I guess they just shipped the wrong spear with the gun. It is well over a few inches of overhang. It has always shot well though, and I have never blamed the gun for any miss.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
djsmits305
DJ

Send a message via Skype™ to djsmits305

My guns all have about 10" of overhang, give or take an inch. I think less than that and aiming becomes difficult.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
hau
peskadot

OP--Riffe make a 2 piece spear for their Euro Travel gun.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Man-O-War
Lothario

Like Hau said Riffe makes breakdown travel Euro gun with breakdown shaft. Its like 25" total
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
WMELWAY7
MUST GO SPEARFISHING!!!

Delta has this policy for skiing equipment:
Ski or Snowboard Equipment
If you are hitting the slopes, you can bring your ski and snowboard equipment as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and one boot bag is accepted per person (and counts as one checked bag). The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg) or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm), no excess size charges apply. All standard baggage charges apply.

So, I always carry my equipment in a ski hardcase which allows me to fit 3-5 guns, wetsuit, fins, and mask/snorkle. One of the guns includes a wong 63" super mag. Never paid any additional fees. Just watch the 50lbs! Hope this helps!

Check out : http://www.sportube.com/pages/speargun_diving.php

I use the series 2!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
hidiver

Thanks for the posts. I fly a ton for work and get my personal travel for free. I get so used to being able to expense any extra fees, that I was doing anything I could to avoid paying out of pocket for vacation. I'm looking at a 50-60" gun in the next few months for pelagics and I guess I will just get a longer case and pay close attention to the weight and not so much the length. I can get a nice case for the same $200 a two piece spear is going to cost.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
bracmon

[quote=WMELWAY7;1728361]Delta has this policy for skiing equipment:
Ski or Snowboard Equipment
If you are hitting the slopes, you can bring your ski and snowboard equipment as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag, and one boot bag is accepted per person (and counts as one checked bag). The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg) or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm), no excess size charges apply. All standard baggage charges apply.

So, I always carry my equipment in a ski hardcase which allows me to fit 3-5 guns, wetsuit, fins, and mask/snorkle. One of the guns includes a wong 63" super mag. Never paid any additional fees. Just watch the 50lbs! Hope this helps!

Check out : http://www.sportube.com/pages/speargun_diving.php

NICE!!!!!!!!!
definately going to do that trick!
bracmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
johnnyp

OT: if you want to search a website, jump on google and in the search type (for example "riffe" on spearboard.com

site:www.spearboard.com riffe

that easy
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote