Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Billybob
Gulf Breeze

Looks like the Feds are trying to irradicate snapper

Well, if you believe the hooey that the NMFS lays on us about the totally endangered Red Snapper, it appears that the federally boys are shooting to completely irradicate them

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/...8fuT40W_Q.cspx
Billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Watergator

Re: Looks like the Feds are trying to irradicate snapper

Thanks for sharing that. I knew that they were taking out a lot of the rigs, which resulted in the loss of habitat but I had no idea that the demolitions were directly killing that many fish. We need to make sure this gets around as this may be a good time to use the tree-huggers to our advantage.
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
jetro

The feds under Obummer have been pushing this "idle iron" at an ever increasing rate of demolitions per week since he took office. The eco-nuts could not be any happier to see the evil oil rigs go away. Ignorance is bliss.
jetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Billybob
Gulf Breeze

As convoluted as those idiots are, they;ll use it as further justification for why we should have even a shorter season, with a smaller limit

The only thing that will fix this is money...line the right persons pocket and suddenly you'll see them react favorably to the recreational cause. We simply aren't lining thier pockets like the commericial fishery is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergator View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I knew that they were taking out a lot of the rigs, which resulted in the loss of habitat but I had no idea that the demolitions were directly killing that many fish. We need to make sure this gets around as this may be a good time to use the tree-huggers to our advantage.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
SteelBait
and Li'l Bait

Question: Do they remove the entire rig all the way to the bottom? Or just the top portion that sticks out of the water to down to minimum navigable depth?

If they did the second one, you would have the best of everything i.e., no more eyesore, no danger to navigation, and still have an artificial reef. Get good GPS numbers on them and publish them as "Come to Louisiana and fish the out of service Oil Rig Artificial Reefs!". It's a win, win, win .
SteelBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
jetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBait View Post
Question: Do they remove the entire rig all the way to the bottom? Or just the top portion that sticks out of the water to down to minimum navigable depth?

If they did the second one, you would have the best of everything i.e., no more eyesore, no danger to navigation, and still have an artificial reef. Get good GPS numbers on them and publish them as "Come to Louisiana and fish the out of service Oil Rig Artificial Reefs!". It's a win, win, win .
Yes they do, all the way under the bottom. Wrong, many if not most of the corals need the sunlight and warmer water temps to survive. They will simply cease to exist. Besides what "eyesore? It's not as if you're standing on Pensacola Beach and can look out into the Gulf and see a bunch of big yellow structures. That is another common misconception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=UDVWVUVppiQ#!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
We Dive

Sickening!
We Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
jfjf

I dove soon after an underwater detonation (elsewhere) and the bottom was littered with dead fish. Please don't assume that the fish kill observable on the surface is the full extent of the damage.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Billybob
Gulf Breeze

Yeah

20+ miles to the close ones out of Pensacola. They're not an eye sore, they're one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see both above and under the water if you love diving, fishing, and CHEAP fuel!

Personally, I wish they were every 1/4 mile all along Pensacola Beach and I live here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetro View Post
Yes they do, all the way under the bottom. Wrong, many if not most of the corals need the sunlight and warmer water temps to survive. They will simply cease to exist. Besides what "eyesore? It's not as if you're standing on Pensacola Beach and can look out into the Gulf and see a bunch of big yellow structures. That is another common misconception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=UDVWVUVppiQ#!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
dparache

thats our great gov they will destroy every thing .take our guns away destroy our waters n they kill us off .plus no jobs yet the banks n the gov a getting bigger .whats else do they want?
dparache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
SteelBait
and Li'l Bait

Daaang I was just trying to come up with a comprimise . I wasn't saying I thought they were an eyesore, that is just one of the reasons I've read why they want to demolish them. Again I'm not saying, but I've read that another reason the government wants to demolish them is they are a hazard to navigation. Minimum navigable depth as far as I've been able to determine in the Gulf of Mexico is 125 feet. I've dove plenty of artificials that don't even start until that depth and they are covered with coral and fish. I would think that leaving a portion of the structure would be better than removing the whole thing.
SteelBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
jetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBait View Post
Daaang I was just trying to come up with a comprimise . I wasn't saying I thought they were an eyesore, that is just one of the reasons I've read why they want to demolish them. Again I'm not saying, but I've read that another reason the government wants to demolish them is they are a hazard to navigation. Minimum navigable depth as far as I've been able to determine in the Gulf of Mexico is 125 feet. I've dove plenty of artificials that don't even start until that depth and they are covered with coral and fish. I would think that leaving a portion of the structure would be better than removing the whole thing.
Obviously somthing is better than nothing but if watched Als video(https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=UDVWVUVppiQ#) you can see that the first 60' is very important for many corals as well as thousands of other critters make their living in that zone. As far as "hazards to navigation" are concerned that is more the anti BS. In fact, ships manned by professional crews with radar and every other nav-aid you can think of travel in lanes as they approach passes and sea terminals. If they run over a 60'-100' structure that is equipped with a very loud and annoying horn and lights then...I just don't know.