Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
SpankTheTank

Question on a gun repair

Hey guys. I was having an issue with my trigger mech and I think I got that fixed. Seemed to be a spring had lost tension and fell out of a groove it was supposed to be in. I rewound the spring and put it back in its place and I think that solved the problem. In the process of fixing that I noticed a crack in the gun that goes from a pin to the line release. Is this something I should worry about, or just leave alone? Thanks
For some reason I'm having trouble attaching the pics
SpankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
SpankTheTank

Re: Question on a gun repair

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-19 11.03.50.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	237048
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
SpankTheTank

Name:	2018-02-19 11.08.05.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	237049
Old 02-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Mcdiver matt

If it were me I would fix it. You could cut out a chunk of wood larger than the crack, and then epoxy a new piece of wood in the hole you just made, And then shape it was sandpaper. Or you could try just gluing it although I don’t think that will be enough, my two cents good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
Mcdiver matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdiver matt View Post
If it were me I would fix it. You could cut out a chunk of wood larger than the crack, and then epoxy a new piece of wood in the hole you just made, And then shape it was sandpaper. Or you could try just gluing it although I don’t think that will be enough, my two cents good luck

You could also drill through it and glue a dowel vertically, that would probably be easier

Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Benny

Is the crack just on the surface or does it go all the way through the stock into the mech pocket?

If its more or less just on the surface You can sand it out and refinish the area. And if this is the case its probably caused by the pin when it gets knocked in (as are those missing chunks of wood around the pin holes). Its a good idea to put a countersink to each hole and cut the pins a bit short so they don't volcano out the surface. Also put a decent chamfer on the pins before driving them in.

If the crack is all the way though to the pocket you may have yourself a real problem. It may not be cause to scrap the gun but it may take some work to get it serviceable.

Name:	Pins.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	237050
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Bob Ballew

...Two suggestions: avoid wood "blowout" on the far side of your guns by drilling the holes prior to cutting the radius on the outsides. That allows you to place a flat piece of scrap wood under the drilling area for the drill tip to exit into...this prevents blowout for a better looking gun...I clamp the two pieces together prior to drilling my pin holes to ensure there is no play between the pieces...
..It is difficult to tell if a repair is needed on the split you describe...if it is likely to expand due to the rubbers putting heavy pull on this area, I would use two part epoxy for any glue up repair, as epoxy bonds are stronger than the actual wood and the wood fibers will rip apart before the epoxy bond fails....strange but true....
...Myself, I would only remove wood at the split by drilling a series of overlapping small holes down the length of the split and fill it with epoxy...that would not weaken your gun much, compared to removing a larger section.
...One final recommendation to the fellows building their own guns....try to avoid buying blank material that has a knot in it...this is the weak spot in the gun and as the gun ages and stress is put on the more brittle wood (aging), it is likely to break or develop a substantial crack at the knot...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
SpankTheTank

Thanks for all the help. The area doesn't seem to be an area that receives much stress. I think I'll keep an eye on it for now. If it looks to get worse, I'll drill it out and epoxy it. Thanks again for all the input!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:15 AM   #9
NaClAddict

Just glue it with a quality hardwood glue. Maybe thin it out for better penetration.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote