Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:00 AM   #1
ScottCarullo

Stringer types

What type of stringer do you use and why?

Most people that dive for fish usually use the large ring type stringers and bags when they do lobster/fish.

I use a ring myself but have considered trying one of the stringer types with the point on the end. I think biller or jbl sells them - you just poke it through the fish then the point is attached in the middle of the string and it catches on the back side of the fish like a T

Anyone use one of them and is it just a tangle waiting to happen or easier than toting aroung a ring?

Thanks,
Scott
ScottCarullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
subdude

I call 'em suicide stringers ...

even a small fish that isn't killed will wrap the line around ya.

I use a ring or diaper pin type.

subdude
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
FredT

I prefer a safety pin type for the rigs

Sow Snappers, grouper, triggers and "small" AJs and Cobia do quite well on them. Large fish come directly to the boat. Do sharpen the end of the "pin" to go through the skull when stringing, and ALWAYS string triggers through the mouth aned out the gills! If shooting heavy fish adding a locking pin to hold the wire end closed is a good idea. I've seen poorly designed "bent wire" stringers pulled open by a large fish that "woke up" after stringing.

The toggle stringer you describe is effective on flounder in open water known to have agressive large boneless toothy critters if combined with a long line and float to keep them above you. This is the same system used for wade surf fishermen to keep the catch 20' away from themselves so the tax collectors just get the fish. Be aware your clip off to this rig should be very "soft" to avoid an unwanted Nantuckett Sleighride

FT

Last edited by FredT; 12-03-2002 at 11:39 AM.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
subdude

I love it when ...

Someone more experienced does it as I do!!

I sharpened my diaper/safety pin tip, string triggers through the mouth or use my knife to adjust their biting ability so they do not make ANOTHER scar on my leg. Only have to have that happen once to learn them are bad sumbitches.

Tried a suicide stringer years ago and never liked it. I gave it to a friend and then felt guilty and bought him a diaper pin type!

subdude
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:46 AM   #5
FredT

Another option for smaller fish

Anything up to the 10 to 20 pound range can be bagged instead of strung. If tax collectors are a problem a canvas sided bag with a small mesh area to drain when surfacing is a good choice. The bag is more effective against triggers and 'cuda and other visual hunters, but it will also often confuse a shark long enough for you to exit the area with your lunch. Once the bag gets over 3' long it can start to get ungainly so this option is best for the smaller fish. A welded wire top loop handle with dual catches (the catch on the handle, plus your lanyard clip holding it closed) is also suggested.

FT
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote