Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 01-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
FreeDiving-Los

Question New to Texas

First, I would like to say Hello to everyone in the Gulf coast region. Second I would like you all to know that I recently moved from California and I'm now living in Galveston. I was hoping that someone could let me know of the best way for me to get offshore to go spearfishing? Since I've been here I've jumped into a couple of Bayou's and also been into the Gulf off of Seawall(Galveston Is.) and I've found myself longing for MORE! Maybe someone could please point me in the right direction of charter boats OR private parties,(that could use a dependable, friendly, capable diver on their boat?) Thank you everyone, any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.

(Tank or Free Diving...doesn't matter as long as spearing is involved) Thanks again
FreeDiving-Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
MichaelBaranows
RFA member

Re: New to Texas

The best way to get offshore is to buy a boat and then invite us along.

Just wait around and once the weather gets alittle better and more people are heading offshore I am sure you can get invited along. Also there is a normally a monthly spearo happy hour you can attend and meet people to go with.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
JLittle44
John Little

You're already looking in the right direction. There will be a lot more people heading out in a few months.

I'd be interested in hearing about your bayou experience. I tried to shoot some gar out of Armand Bayou last summer. The diving is more what I'd call feeling around in the dark and praying you don't get tetnus.

You might what to check out this thread: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=38345
Call me Mister Lucky.
JLittle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

The jettie on the south side is pretty much submerged and a pita to dive. If you wanted you could dive the Hotel over the water, just stay away from the end where the fisherman are. Other then that head to surfside and hit the jetties there LONG jettie with plenty of decent fish on the rocks. I'd suggest staying in surfside and not heading to the other side of the channel though. It's pretty nasty on the other side. Jetty diving can be pretty fun, but nothing beats floating the rigs. Make some friends, offer gas money and boat cleaning services. Most spearo's in this area are pretty friendly. You could also check into the South Texas Freedivers Association. We get together from time to time and take members out to rigs. Currently we're passing the idea of a group charter around for freediving.
bug_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
JLittle44
John Little

I'm in Surfside nearly every weekend. We only get vis at the jetties two or three times a year and it usually only lasts for a few days. I haven't seen more than 4' vis at the jetties in the winter in the last four years. It may very well happen, but I haven't seen it. Several times in the summer we got 10'+ vis, but if conditions are good at the jetties, I'm in the mood to head offshore if at all possible.

If any of you come down and want to dive Surfside, I'll go with you, but it will be my first dive in that water as well. Micheal may head down there with us if you harass him enough.

For the last three weeks, the jetties have been brown with maybe 1' or 2' vis. It's been pretty windy, and I doubt that has changed, but I'll give you an update on Monday.
Call me Mister Lucky.
JLittle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Seahuntress
The Spinster

Welcome to Texas! Love those from California. We'll take you diving with us, in early Spring. There are plenty of us that go. I will be talking to you soon. We do have those Happy Hours, but seems we have been busy this winter. We'll put something together soon. I do believe we'll have a few from Hawai here as well. Again Welcome, and we'll all meet up soon, so you'll make some new friends.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
MichaelBaranows
RFA member

I will go to the Jetties but I need atleast 10' viz. Like John said if the Jetties are good there is a good chance the seas are flat and my @$$ will be offshored.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
FreeDiving-Los

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Looks like there is more of a spearfishing community here than I thought. It also sounds like spring time may hold the start of better conditions(vis) for this area. I'm excited to know that there are so many friendly divers within a few hours of me. I'm not too sure about jetty diving with my gear since I only brought blue water guns with me but I'm sure I could always find a small rock gun if people were going to try the jetties anytime soon. Thanks again and I'd love to meet some of you if you have a 'happy hour' anytime in the near future.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Seahuntress
The Spinster

We'll see you soon. Spring is good here for Freediving. Jetty diving is good in Port Aransas, near Corpus Christi. I have been many times in the Spring and Summer when the Sea's are Flat. If you leave the dock from Galveston, you'll have to travel south to get to deeper water. Freeport jetty's is a good location to head to the Rigs and to the Weedlines for Dorado. If you're a Bluewater Hunter you'll be interested in the Weedlines. That's where the Big Ones are. This time of year is good for winter grouper, but I myself don't care that much about going offshore in the winter. I love the summers here, and my hobbies are relaxing on a boat offshore. The game fish we'll be back then too. I'm sure your in the Freediving Club in Houston. They have there own meetings, but I like for us all to mix together. Its a good way to network and meet people. See you soon.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
moteman

Welcome to Galveston, I just left there a couple of months ago for a job with Mote Marine lab in Sarasota , FL. My better half worked for UTMB in the ER before the move. Without a boat your kinda limited to Offats Bayou shooting sheephead and flounder or the jetties. The south jetty when its flat calm and slack tide can be fair diving with about 8' to 10 ' vis on a GOOD day. There are some HUGE jewfish (not politically correct and doesn't care) and bull sharks hanging around the end of the jetty. Lots of big fat sheephead around the old lighthouse on the gulf side of the south jetty. BTW its a couple of miles of rock walking to get there.
moteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
HydroHunter

When you get a chance drive over to Lake Jackson and look us up. We are always talking about spearfishing, and planning trips. Welcome to Texas!
HydroHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
FreeDiving-Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroHunter
When you get a chance drive over to Lake Jackson and look us up. We are always talking about spearfishing, and planning trips. Welcome to Texas!

Will do! I'll send you a message next time I head over that way. When do people typically start running offshore? April? Or sooner? Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
HydroHunter

As soon as the weather lets us. A few people are getting out now, but it isn't real pleasant!
HydroHunter is offline   Reply With Quote