Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Hanging up my speargun

Yep, hanging up the Battle Axe. Taking down the 30-06 for the winter whitetail hunt at my sisters farm near Powers, Mi..That's in the Upper Peninsula known as Gods Country. Flying in to Escanaba,Mi.. Tiny airport. Has only 1 baggage area the size of a Publix Deli. Airport opens and closes daily for a morning flight and a evening flight. Been going there for over 25 years. This year, the predicted high and low temps will be about 10 degrees less than average. Highs will be in the low 30's and lows in the teens. Anybody else deer hunting?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
The Bloody Boat

Re: Hanging up my speargun

Been hunting for about a month now. Got one big 11point. Good luck to you bust a brute.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
sharpshooter

Rifle season in Michigan is 11-15 to 11-30.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
jbsrq

Awesome area, flew in and out of Escanaba in September. Inlaws have a cabin on Superior between Marquette and Munising.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Timinator

Had a nice 10 in my sights tonight, but it's not rifle season yet in Ohio! He was 235 yards and I was looking at him through the sights of my .264 win mag. Chip shot. Soon.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
kwyoungspear

I'm hunting a little south of you. I've been bow hunting right behind my apartments in Traverse City and have seen a lot of bucks, holding out for the big one though.

For gun season I'll be hunting just under the bridge at my lake cottage in Cross Village.

It's snowing right now, we're supposed to get 3-7" today.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Jonboy

I did some bird hunting 20 years ago with my grandfather but have never deer hunted. Got on a lease with couple buddies this year. Never knew what I was missing!! We’re in central GA. Hunted every day morning and afternoon from 10/27 - 11/4 for my first trip. My buddies said just bust anything to get 1 under my belt. I had safety off and squeezing on a couple 4 pts but just didn’t want to shoot a small deer like that. Like shooting barely legal hogfish, not doing it. Was in a tent mid week, beautiful morning, facing E with breeze in my face. Just as the sun was topping trees out steps a nice 8 pt walking at me 100 yards out. Beautiful animal. My hands starting shaking so bad I could barely count the points through binoculars. Buck fever is real! Lol. The shaking only intensified once I got em in the scope 60 yards out and he turned. I thought I would never be able to hit him. The lord smiled on me though and I got him! Very thankful to have been fortunate enough to get this deer for my first! I’m hooked!!! Leaving the wife and kids Thanksgiving day and weekend to hunt! 169lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CF4CDE9-E585-42B7-B7C2-626C21BFD61D.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	240417  
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Jonboy

Also, really envy guys up N with access to the brutes up there. Maybe someday...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
I did some bird hunting 20 years ago with my grandfather but have never deer hunted. Got on a lease with couple buddies this year. Never knew what I was missing!! We’re in central GA. Hunted every day morning and afternoon from 10/27 - 11/4 for my first trip. My buddies said just bust anything to get 1 under my belt. I had safety off and squeezing on a couple 4 pts but just didn’t want to shoot a small deer like that. Like shooting barely legal hogfish, not doing it. Was in a tent mid week, beautiful morning, facing E with breeze in my face. Just as the sun was topping trees out steps a nice 8 pt walking at me 100 yards out. Beautiful animal. My hands starting shaking so bad I could barely count the points through binoculars. Buck fever is real! Lol. The shaking only intensified once I got em in the scope 60 yards out and he turned. I thought I would never be able to hit him. The lord smiled on me though and I got him! Very thankful to have been fortunate enough to get this deer for my first! I’m hooked!!! Leaving the wife and kids Thanksgiving day and weekend to hunt! 169lbs
That's awesome, Jonboy! Congratulations. You'll never forgot something like that. I felt the same elation (minus the buck fever - funny, I've never had a twinge of it) when I dropped my first zebra in Africa. Hope you have many more amazing experiences like this in the future.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
grey2112

Quote:
Also, really envy guys up N with access to the brutes up there. Maybe someday...
I nailed a large doe in Wisconsin with a crossbow - meat was amazing as it was eating nothing but honeycrisp apples for a month.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
Jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I nailed a large doe in Wisconsin with a crossbow - meat was amazing as it was eating nothing but honeycrisp apples for a month.
Thanks Grey! Hunting in Africa must be absolutely amazing. I mostly lurk here but always enjoy reading your post. Compared to some of your recipes it’s probably lame but I’m doing some venison cube steaks tonight. Love it. If yourself or any others have suggestions for back strap let me know. Thx
Old 11-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
grey2112

Quote:
Thanks Grey! Hunting in Africa must be absolutely amazing. I mostly lurk here but always enjoy reading your post. Compared to some of your recipes it’s probably lame but I’m doing some venison cube steaks tonight. Love it. If yourself or any others have suggestions for back strap let me know. Thx
Thank you - my time in Africa was the trip of a lifetime.

I'd marinate the backstrap in roughly chopped garlic, olive oil, rosemary, red wine and lemon juice overnight, drain and pat dry, then grill like a steak after brushing it with butter. Use the marinade to make a reduced pan sauce with added butter melted in to it and some capers.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
Dbrown

Ohhh, that sounds good!
Congrats on your buck jonboy!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #14
Jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Ohhh, that sounds good!
Congrats on your buck jonboy!
Thanks D! Iv told the story 100 times already but my heart starts pounding even now just telling it. Apologies to the seasoned hunters who surely have better stories but if it doesn’t get the juices flowing probably should give it up IMO. The buck gave me a close shot, 60 yards, if not for that probably would have missed from shaking (buck fever) lol.
When I shot he jumped straight up, turned 180 and ran out of site. I’m shooting a 7mm mag. I sat for a min trying to gather myself. Walked out and couldn’t find a single trace of blood or hide. Walked about 20 yards in direction he ran...nothing, notta!! I went from adrenaline high to dejected thinking I missed, was so pissed at myself. Buddy came over and I told em think I missed. He asked did he jump? I said yes. He asked did he look funny when he ran off, tail down? I said yes, looked front leg heavy, not normal. He said both good signs. We walked about 30 yards and nothing, then buddy says smell that? He’s right here somewhere. Walked 10 more yards and there he was!! High fives ensued. He was full rut stinking. What a feeling! We’re looking and buddy ask where you hit em? No obvious entry or exit. I roll him over...same. Roll em back over and buddy looks at me and says did you give the damn thing a heart attack? We laughed. Finally found entry well behind shoulder and low where brown hair meets white. Rolled him back over and no exit. Start rubbing hide and find a knot high on would be exit side shoulder. Bullet was right there. I slightly cut hide with pocket knife and bullet fell right out. Must have caught a rib at entry and angled up and across lungs heart area to opposite shoulder. Like I said, lord smiled on me or just beginner luck lol. Literally 2 inch lower and bullet misses under him. If goes straight through at entry I’m trailing that deer forever and possibly never found.
Greys recipe sounds reeeeeally good, probably try.
Having a euro mount done on him since it’s my first deer.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #15
Jonboy

By the way... took this Wed and Fri off. Leaving to hunt Wed morning with wife and kids spending first Thanksgiving without me back in FL. My wife said you got it bad don’t ya....yes ma’am, sure do!!!

Can’t wait!!