Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Q
Simi Valley Spearo

Why is there a woman's world record?

First I mean no disrespect to woman or Kelsea, shes a wonderful woman for sure and a kick ass diver for sure.

After seeing that Kelsea just nailed a new " woman's " world record for WSB it got me thinking. Why is there a different record for woman? IMO I don't see how woman and men are different when it comes to spearfishing, thous my question.

Anyone know why?

Q.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

Re: Why is there a woman's world record?

I know hers is bigger than mine.....

(and the fish, also )
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
unkabonka

I was thinking about this same thing the other day, but more with regards to H&L records keeping. To be sure, official records were kept on H&L before spearfishing, and I think the separation of sex was for a few reasons. One, woman were (are) perceived to not have the same strength of men generally, and when you think about battling a 400lb swordfish for 12 hours perhaps there could be a difference. (not many people could do that, period! me included). I think the other reason was that in the early days it was not acceptable for woman to be involved in sportfishing, and maybe even men did not want their records being beat by a woman! And so the two were split, and it has stayed that way since, and what started with sportfishing naturally was taken up with the spearfishing records.

I think for those possible original reasons today's separation of records by sex are out dated, as the woman who are in the fishing sports are most usually not your "average" woman and can compete on the same "level" as men if there is even such a thing. Someone tell me what physiological limitations women are subject to in freediving/spearfishing? I have anecdotally heard there may actually be advantages??

On the other hand, the inclusion of womans records may better encourage greater participation for record fish by woman in the sport, but I don't know anyone who is in the sport solely for the records

Regardless, congratulations to Kelsea, her fish in an impressive feat for anyone to accomplish and worthy of keeping record of.

Last edited by unkabonka; 06-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Ethan kills
OG Troll

because we have to give them an advantage otherwise they wouldn't ever break any records. Everybody knows guys do EVERYTHING better than girls.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
So-Cal Spearo
Austin Derry

Daniel Tosh said it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMwPq-a-8W4

So-Cal Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
because we have to give them an advantage otherwise they wouldn't ever break any records. Everybody knows guys do EVERYTHING better than girls.
Oh Man you gonna catch Sh@t for that one!

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
The Freediver
I love railguns...

Quote:
The Freediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Chris Lupin

It doesn't matter because Kelsey will break the men's world record this year too.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Doing Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
First I mean no disrespect to woman or Kelsea, shes a wonderful woman for sure and a kick ass diver for sure.

After seeing that Kelsea just nailed a new " woman's " world record for WSB it got me thinking. Why is there a different record for woman? IMO I don't see how woman and men are different when it comes to spearfishing, thous my question.

Anyone know why?

Q.
I had the same question (a legitimate one I think) and came up with the following:

1. Why not?
2. I think quite simply it allows women to make their mark among their peers. And it really doesn't matter what men think, because this is a record among women. So I think it matters what the women think of it.

But that Daniel Tosh sheit is funny.
5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
pez.fuerte

The answer is physical capability. Spearfishing is a physical sport. Look at the freediving world records, there's a gap between men and women.
pez.fuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
VinWalrus

Quote:

Anyone know why?

Q.
OK Q, you need to be really carful here, you just said "I mean no disrespect to woman or Kelsea" Dude, she is a woman, a damn hansom Spearia at that and is usually armed...

BTW: Fantastic job Kelsea!!!
I work too much...
Cheers!

John Lynch
VinWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

I have a question about this case:

With our modern advanced technology, freedom rights with new man-made cultures, even 'born that way' culture, and/or other cirumstances, what if a skilled spearfisherman decided to come out of the closet and did the transexual transformation and he believed that he is a 'she' period. Is 'she' approved to break the women's record even 'her' advantage is better than women's advantage like you guys mentioned due to 'her' strength, etc....?

In my eyes, both womens and mens record are no difference beside their advantages/disadvantages. Of course, men hate to see women have bigger fish. Men need to learn how to swallow their own pride like myself.
Turyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:

Anyone know why?

Q.
Men dive deeper and longer than women. There is a disadvantage.

Although, Sheri's African Pompano record beats the mens
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turyturbo View Post
I have a question about this case:

With our modern advanced technology, freedom rights with new man-made cultures, even 'born that way' culture, and/or other cirumstances, what if a skilled spearfisherman decided to come out of the closet and did the transexual transformation and he believed that he is a 'she' period. Is 'she' approved to break the women's record even 'her' advantage is better than women's advantage like you guys mentioned due to 'her' strength, etc....?
this is getting to be a crazy discussion. But as for the question...

I say once a man always man.