Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-11-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
SeaPlusPlus

Question First time on the west coast

Looks like I'll be going to a conference in Vegas for the first week of December. I'm probably going to fly out a few days early and explore around a bit, and was considering heading over to CA and maybe even getting a dive or two in.

Any suggestions? (Looking for anything from "You're out of your mind..." to "Here's where you start...")

I'd be flying into Vegas, renting a car from there, and the plan was to drive over to CA anyway. I'd have to rent gear, since there's no way I'm hauling all my stuff over there.

Thanks,
Wil
SeaPlusPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:44 PM   #2
Kyle

It's about a 4 hour drive to the coast from Vegas. If your into that, are you looking to SCUBA or freedive? If SCUBA is your thing, check out www.scubaboard.com and go to the SoCal forum. They can answer all your questions there, and even hook you up with some buddies.

kyle
Old 10-11-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
SeaPlusPlus

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
It's about a 4 hour drive to the coast from Vegas. If your into that, are you looking to SCUBA or freedive? If SCUBA is your thing, check out www.scubaboard.com and go to the SoCal forum. They can answer all your questions there, and even hook you up with some buddies.

kyle
The drive isn't a problem, I figured that I would spend a day or two in CA. I'd prefer scuba, but will consider freedive if scuba isn't an option. I'm not the greatest freediver, but my main goal is to get in the water.

I'll check into scubaboard like you suggested, since chances are I won't be spearing while I'm out there. (I don't like the idea of having to store the fish for a week in the minibar at the hotel, heh.)

Thanks,
Wil
SeaPlusPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
Peter R.
taking a trip, not tak...

I would suggest that if you are here for only a day or two then you should make your dive over off of Catalina Island. Make the extra effort to get there and you'll ensure yourself of greater odds of diving in better than average conditions (visibility, underwater scenery, etc.).
Peter R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
Pipe 45

Try to get a boat dive in at Catalina

www.californiadiveboats.com
Old 10-11-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
RandyMan

Look me up before you come out to Ca. I have lots of extra gear and dive 2-3 time a week on the palos verdes coast. Catalina is better than along the coast and you can rent gear right on the island. I hit the island once a month.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
sharpshooter123

Send a message via AIM to sharpshooter123
I agree, but it will be kinda hard to get to CA and set up a boat. But ... set it up over the internet. www.catalinaexpress.com. or go to www.sportchalet.com and get a boat info and rental info.
sharpshooter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
Poog

Cheap and easy, with good vis, La Jolla.
Poog