Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Twisted Trader

Diablo Canyon Dive Planning

I have a lot of free time these summer months. I am thinking that I need to do some freediving on the open coast near Diablo Canyon. Here is the information that I need.
Is there a small boat launch ramp in Port San Luis that is free?
I know that there is a small boat hoist there, how much does it cost for a 15 ft Zodiac?
Are there any protected areas on the open coast outside of the breakwater?
Is there anyone in the Fresno area that might want to drag my boat to the coast and kill some fish?

PM me or call me @ 831-601-9988

thanks
Twisted Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
slodiver

Re: Diablo Canyon Dive Planning

There is a ramp down to the beach just before Port San Luis that you could check out. Maybe re-post this on the SLO Dive Conditions thread, there are some guys that would know.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Big_Berg

By protected areas do you mean from swell or from fishing/diving. The answer is yes to one of those and no to the other.
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
Twisted Trader

By protected area I was referring to MPLA. When I last dove that area the red abalone were plentiful and and there was no such thing as a MLPA. Just wanted to know if anything really changed beyond thew breakwater.
Twisted Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
slodiver

Search for a DFG MPA map, there is one north of San Luis Bay but it is a ways up. Maybe someone else can chime in with distances to stay away from the power plant. I know the red abalone mention was for time reference, they are no take down here.
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
rustyg

Point Buchon area is protected and anything 2000 yards from the power plant. I have never spearfished the area, but I have fished the area from my boat many times while I was enrolled at Cal Poly. The backside of the breakwall is usually good for some large cabezon if you want to poke around in the rocks. Pulled out a 17 lb cab with a legal (and still alive) dungeness crab in its stomach last year in that area.
rustyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Sanny

the ramp goes down to the beach- you'll have to cross a sandy beach to launch it; it's referred to as the "jet ski ramp" . The hoist is $18 ( the last time I used it). There are multiple reefs south of diablo and out of the mpa many becoming wash rocks on low tide-there are no calm or sheltered areas- very hazardous near shore boating. The inside of the jetty can be good if you luck out with viz (usually bad to horrible). Very deep caves for fish to run back into and a good number of sea lions- I think my best fish out of there was a cabazon. I you do try it, watch the reports and be conservative.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote