Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
billder99
Good gone Wong

Baja; My first multi-day kayak/camping trip

I planned for the last 4 months to go on a 6-day unsupported (but guided) kayak/camping/spearfishing trip, 45 miles around the islands near Loreto, Baja Sur. I got back yesterday, had a long shower, slept like a little baby.

The trip was everything I hoped it would be. It was physically challenging & highly educational... I am definitely a better paddler now after daily coaching by our guide Marcos, especially in challenging conditions (wind & waves)... I made notes on lot's of camping "hacks" to ease life in the wild... it was a significant test of my 61 year old body's ability to withstand discomfort (Advil was my daily friend), or maybe more to the point my mental willingness to accept discomfort. Hot sun, little shade, cool windy nights, sand in every possible nook and cranny, nice comfy barnacle encrusted LAVA rocks under-foot and under-ass. One good surprise; I am addicted to 24 hour internet access, so I wasn't sure how well I would deal with the separation... I found that I actually enjoyed letting it all go for a few days... I read a good book, did some hiking and spearfishing, climbed a decently challenging mountain... all good stuff.

I can NOT say it was non-stop fun, but I definitely CAN say there was not a single moment I questioned my decision to go. My biggest issues were: (1) My back was killing me every morning... took a good hour plus a cup of coffee to feel less of a zombie, and (2) My ass hurt like blazes every day after about 4 hours of paddling, and I developed a painful hemorrhoid... yeah, I know, TMI... but them's the facts of life when wilderness kayaking, right?

I feel like my preparation was good, but not great... I have a list of gear upgrades I will start making immediately. Does anyone know of some sort of water-resistant-origami-Lazy-Boy-recliner I could tuck away for the next outing? ; )

Biggest Glitch: I have been diving & spearing around Loreto, and decided not to take my wetsuit because the water is so warm. BIG mistake... it is freakin' COLD out on the islands when diving thru thermoclines. I admit to being a snivveling pussy about the cold... that is one discomfort I was unwilling to endure... my fish count = 0. The good news... our guide on the trip is a decent spearo, took my gun and got us one good cabrilla for dinner on night #5... without a wetsuit... in my 20's, 30's, 40's, the cold was never an issue... at 61, no can do.

A few of the best things: Starbucks freeze dried French Roast packets... Burt's Bees Lip Balm... my cheapo $3 Walmart bush hat, what a lifesaver!.. the smoked yellowfin tuna salad Marcos made for us on day 4, that's a keeper recipe... and of course dark Baja nights, clear and full of stars , combined with days paddling clear water over reefs filled with colorful fish and sea creatures, and a mind boggling variety of bird species providing constant entertainment.

Gotta say it: Mission Accomplished.

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
Stephane
Kayak spearo

Re: Baja; My first multi-day kayak/camping trip

[quote=billder99;2165385]Does anyone know of some sort of water-resistant-origami-Lazy-Boy-recliner I could tuck away for the next outing? ; )
QUOTE]

I always bring one :

https://www.backcountry.com/helinox-...one-camp-chair

Packs very small
Stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
DKirby

Won't get you off the ground, but might double as an extra sleeping pad cushion. http://www.crazycreek.com/hex-2-0-original-chair/

Out of curiosity, did you go with an outfitter? Contact website? Sounds like an amazing trip!
DKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:54 AM   #4
billder99
Good gone Wong

Thanks Stephane & DKirby... here is the chair I got for the trip... easy to deploy and pack, sturdy, and the "sand foot" worked like a charm: https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Por...ghtweight&th=1

The outfitter has been excellent in every way and very reasonable prices including high quality gear, delicious meals, all transport... I will use them again for sure, they do lot's of unique kayak trips and teaching seminars: https://seakayakbajamexico.com/

Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
Stephane
Kayak spearo

I like the sand foot idea. I'll make one for my chair. Thanks!
Stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
billder99
Good gone Wong

Stephane: Maybe you are way more talented than I am, but my DIY projects always end up taking 5 times as much time as they should... and the result is usually lacking in some way.

Here is the sand-foot I got, only $10, super strong, you will never be able to make one this good: https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Cov...ustable+height

It probably only works with the Trekology Yizi chair.