Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
Straits

Aimrite King Venom 100cm setup questions

Hi all, long time lurker, recently joined the board, and just approved to post.

I've had an Aimrite KV-100 for 5 years now and love it. Unfortunately, not knowing much about gun set up and replacing perishable parts over the years, it's accuracy has declined and it's become unreliable and frustrating. After devouring the posts on this site I think I've got a better understanding of where I've gone wrong in the past and looking to correct it. Below are the issues I can find so far.

Shooting line. Comes stock with mono single wrap. I bought a huge roll of 2.2mm mono when it first needed replacing and have been using it since. Unfortunately this thickness has meant it is a little tight getting the spear into the mechanism and I suspect has contributed to the issues of accuracy. I've replaced with 1.8mm mono, and it is now clear of the sides when loading the spear.

Spear. Comes stock with a 7.5mm Rob Allen spear, 140cm length (though the mechanism safely takes a 7mm). I felt it was a little heavy in the nose, and changed to a 7mm spear, which hasn't changed the slightly heavy feeling nose. Accuracy has been worse since sadly. I'm going back to the 7.5mm spear. Would anyone suggest reducing length to 130cm to reduce the nose end weight? What would this do to accuracy? Would it alter the recommended band lengths?

Trigger. No changes. Well maintained. Love it. The safety feels natural in my hand and it's one of the reasons I got this gun.

Bands. Comes stock with 2 x 16mm rubbers. Band eye to notch is (A) 85cm and (B) 95cm, with band lengths come stock at (A) 55cm=309% stretch and (B) 60cm=317% stretch. I have previously gotten pre-made rubbers sent from Aimrite, though over the years the rubber feels older and less robust, and not knowing the source and age of them I am now keen to do my own. I've bought 14mm small ID rubber. I've read 340%-360% stretch to start is wise, and can cut shorter accordingly. As such I'm planning to use the following to get the desired length:
(A) (85x2)/3.5=48.5cm for a 350% stretch (knot to knot)
(B) (95x2)/3.5=54cm for a 350% stretch (knot to knot)
Any pitfalls or suggestions to the above plan?

I reef spear with this gun, mostly coral trout, tusk fish, jacks, an crayfish, and used to be able to shoot the eye out of most fish. I want to get this gun back to that accuracy and figure I'll get a better understanding of gun physics along the way. All and any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Straits
Straits is offline   Reply With Quote