Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #2176
basstomouth
David

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Got in today, same spot in squan as yesterday, missed the entire slack since i was running late, dove the outgoing for as long as we could, rain did not seem to mess with viz much still top to bottom in 15... saw a bunch of schoolies and a few legal bass out of reach, and of course the tog are still slobs. Still a little chilly and chose to dive in a 7m today, but Im glad viz is as good as its been.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #2177
Ric

Barnegat inlet today, 11:30AM 2 :30 Pm (high tide) viz about 5 ft. I Saw a huge Tog, so big I thought it may be a stripper, but it had a brownish back, so probably a tautog. It was in the shallow immediately next to the jetty right below me, like 6-8 ft max.
Didn't shoot, just in case you wonder.
I saw nothing in the deep 20-28ft. Either cause viz was too bad or because there was really nothing.
I didn't see the reelers on the jetty were too successful either.
Oh, and still no mussels on the rocks, as compared to last year at the same time.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #2178
Jhento

rod and reeled it in AP yesterday, water was dirty - did not see bait fish, hopefully clears up so i can get in this upcoming long weekend
Jhento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #2179
Mana'squal

Hit BI and Squan this weekend. Vis varied wildly from 15+ to less than a foot. Rain has it pretty bad now imagine but it's been swinging one or or the other constantly.

Hit a personal best striper 41" close to 30# from about 6-8 feet. First big fish I've shot with my home build 42" midhandle, stoned the fish. I might need a slip tip if I'm going to try to shoot anything bigger, didn't quite pass through the fish but I'm not sure if that was because I had my tip nearly rounded off or hitting the spine.

Fluke and bass are everywhere get out if you can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #2180
jersymudsniper

Nice.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #2181
G MAN

hey NJ crew, haven't checked in here in a long while and stoked! Got my NJ fix for another year. Great to read some reports, stories and see some photos of great fish that i miss and will never forget. Nice! Bummer is i completely missed a couple messages from the Waveman, and missed his annual visit to the GC this year. Gonna try and get you on Facey Austin so this doesn't happen again bud. Hope everyone has a great, fishy and safe season over there. Cheers Jeff
G MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #2182
nilsonov

G man, good to hear from you again mate. Post up some of your catches while you're here
nilsonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #2183
G MAN

Cheers Nilsonov Weather and ocean has turned to shite here atm. I'll make some time to share a few photos and a story with NJ SB bros. I'll try an open a new post and attach a couple photos, all of which is gonna challenge me... been a while, and i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computer stuff (come to think of it, that applies to a lot of things haha)
G MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #2184
basstomouth
David

Dove in the manasquan river today, only caught the outgoing tide, viz was still ~10 feet, managed to find a lobster in 10ft of water, cant complain about that... carapace length 4 1/4
Old 06-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #2185
Captain Howard

Nice lobster . At that length it has to be at least 3 lbs or better.
Captain Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #2186
basstomouth
David

Finally got the picture to upload... maybe not 3 lbs but definitely a healthy lobster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	565D22C9-BC5A-45E0-A64A-AE22BCA67B3D.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	238451  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #2187
Ric

@Jerseymud : my cell phone doesn't work for now...

Fantastic viz last Sunday at Barnegat Inlet. Saw tons of big Togs and Horseshoe crabs or a whitish beige variety of these 'crabs', some mating. I never seen horseshoe crabs there before. Rocks are finally covered in mussels, aka Togs food, but smaller, in my opinion, than last year mussels, perhaps an effect of a longer cold season ?
I didn't even shoot at the Togs, some where females with a full belly of eggs.

Anyways, I didn't go to see mussels, but you know what. But I didn't see much of it until just after slack. I entered water during high tide flow at 11AM and stayed all the way to slack at 2PM. And then I saw it. A huge Striped Bass, quite deep around 28ft as far as my ears could say, the biggest Bass I ever saw. It was alone, not in a school and moved very slowly counter tide (going to the bay) . I had several seconds to shoot when it was no more than 10 ft from me, I aimed but sort of panicked and disengaged the safe only half way, then shoot with the safe on. Anyways I felt like the gun was half jammed. When I finally shoot, it was just a ghost and that would have been a lucky shot. So I missed and that was it. Karma I guess. The battery in my camera was long dead to record that, but with the good viz i'll still make a movie of the other things with nice colors even at depth.

I guess we can expect 2 or 3 weeks more of good viz at BI and that'll be it.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #2188
Jhento

was in and out of the water in MOCO this past weekend. water was really clear with limited waves / bubbles

dove yesterday morning with my buddy who is learning and we had great vis 10ft+, super clean water. Goggles kept fogging as usual -_- saw some fluke, nothing noteworthy.

caught on rod and real a sundial and striper. Happy to see some fish out front
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #2189
Jhento

Quote:
Originally Posted by g man View Post
hey nj crew, haven't checked in here in a long while and stoked! Got my nj fix for another year. Great to read some reports, stories and see some photos of great fish that i miss and will never forget. Nice! Bummer is i completely missed a couple messages from the waveman, and missed his annual visit to the gc this year. Gonna try and get you on facey austin so this doesn't happen again bud. Hope everyone has a great, fishy and safe season over there. Cheers jeff
sup g man!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #2190
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
@Jerseymud : my cell phone doesn't work for now...

Fantastic viz last Sunday at Barnegat Inlet. Saw tons of big Togs and Horseshoe crabs or a whitish beige variety of these 'crabs', some mating. I never seen horseshoe crabs there before. Rocks are finally covered in mussels, aka Togs food, but smaller, in my opinion, than last year mussels, perhaps an effect of a longer cold season ?
I didn't even shoot at the Togs, some where females with a full belly of eggs.

Anyways, I didn't go to see mussels, but you know what. But I didn't see much of it until just after slack. I entered water during high tide flow at 11AM and stayed all the way to slack at 2PM. And then I saw it. A huge Striped Bass, quite deep around 28ft as far as my ears could say, the biggest Bass I ever saw. It was alone, not in a school and moved very slowly counter tide (going to the bay) . I had several seconds to shoot when it was no more than 10 ft from me, I aimed but sort of panicked and disengaged the safe only half way, then shoot with the safe on. Anyways I felt like the gun was half jammed. When I finally shoot, it was just a ghost and that would have been a lucky shot. So I missed and that was it. Karma I guess. The battery in my camera was long dead to record that, but with the good viz i'll still make a movie of the other things with nice colors even at depth.

I guess we can expect 2 or 3 weeks more of good viz at BI and that'll be it.
A speargun safety is kinda pointless. It isnt anymore safe with it on. It can still go off. Most guys myself includeing remove them. Lots of shot opps lost in low vis water where you only have seconds to shoot. And im glad you didnt shoot at the tog. TOG SEASON IS CLOSED.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote