Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

High Current Gun Suggestions

I have need for a "bluewater" gun (as far as range and penetration goes) but I am looking for something that is a bit easier to swing, and haul up and down on deeper dives.

Mainly targeting bluewater fish (dogtooth, etc) in the south pacific.

Currently I have a Rob Allen 120cm...not big enough.

And a Ulusub 155...maybe big enough, but a load in these conditions.

I was thinking of maybe looking into a roller gun to keep the gun short and compact...any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: High Current Gun Suggestions

I have a couple Alemanni rollers that I have not had a chance to test....

I have a Roisub Demo 3 115cm roller gun that I have used and like. It shoots a 8.5mm shaft and kills big fish dead. Ive shot several dogtooth and big GT with it and am satisfied with its performance so far. I would however change the trigger mech when the new Ermes Sub one comes out. It uses a Pathos 2 handle and mech.

I also have and use an Abellan Albacore that I am satisfied with....same story have killed both dogtooth and GT with it with success.

Yesterday I was out and shot a couple fish, 20lb doggie and 30lb GT. Lucky for me they were small and was using my reef gun, 120cm AimRite with 7.5mm shaft. That's about the max size fish for a 120cm gun IMO. Sure you can kill larger fish but to get penetration and stopping power you need a more powerful and larger diameter shaft.

One problem with GT and dogtooth is they are so damn strong. Strongest in the ocean. Over the years I have learned the hard way that probably the most important thing for these fish is your flopper setup. Typical flopper pins are flattened with a hammer setup and these WILL give out with these fish. The key is having a flopper that is welded on the end and also staggered double floppers with increase your chances.

Best shafts....

Value: Spearcrafters from Fla. GR Tarr is a great retail supplier of them.

Performance: Vector Marine and Dean. You will pay more but, if you are willing they will not disappoint. He will custom make any shaft you want.

For power in a small package yes a roller gun is what you are looking for....the inverted/polyplast style guns. Many brands out there.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 AM   #3
Mikel_24

There is a discussion going on about up to what size a classic roller setup gives you better performance a a double banded tradicional gun. The limit seems to be arround 120cm.

My suggestion would be to go with a cuttlefish shaped stock, high custom shaped handle (to absorb recoil better) and rear handle (just because I am used to euro guns being from Spain). That said, I think the Abellan Albacore could suit your needs well. You can even order it with a slip tip from factory!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
I have a couple Alemanni rollers that I have not had a chance to test....

I have a Roisub Demo 3 115cm roller gun that I have used and like. It shoots a 8.5mm shaft and kills big fish dead. Ive shot several dogtooth and big GT with it and am satisfied with its performance so far. I would however change the trigger mech when the new Ermes Sub one comes out. It uses a Pathos 2 handle and mech.

I also have and use an Abellan Albacore that I am satisfied with....same story have killed both dogtooth and GT with it with success.

Yesterday I was out and shot a couple fish, 20lb doggie and 30lb GT. Lucky for me they were small and was using my reef gun, 120cm AimRite with 7.5mm shaft. That's about the max size fish for a 120cm gun IMO. Sure you can kill larger fish but to get penetration and stopping power you need a more powerful and larger diameter shaft.

One problem with GT and dogtooth is they are so damn strong. Strongest in the ocean. Over the years I have learned the hard way that probably the most important thing for these fish is your flopper setup. Typical flopper pins are flattened with a hammer setup and these WILL give out with these fish. The key is having a flopper that is welded on the end and also staggered double floppers with increase your chances.

Best shafts....

Value: Spearcrafters from Fla. GR Tarr is a great retail supplier of them.

Performance: Vector Marine and Dean. You will pay more but, if you are willing they will not disappoint. He will custom make any shaft you want.

For power in a small package yes a roller gun is what you are looking for....the inverted/polyplast style guns. Many brands out there.
Thanks for the post - I will look into these. I havent had a chance to shoot at a GT yet, but they are here so I am probably just diving in the wrong places. See lots of dogtooth - but really want something light and small to swing around on these high current reefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
There is a discussion going on about up to what size a classic roller setup gives you better performance a a double banded tradicional gun. The limit seems to be arround 120cm.

My suggestion would be to go with a cuttlefish shaped stock, high custom shaped handle (to absorb recoil better) and rear handle (just because I am used to euro guns being from Spain). That said, I think the Abellan Albacore could suit your needs well. You can even order it with a slip tip from factory!
Thanks!

Im thinking pipe/carbon roller - and preferably about 120cm.

If such a beast doesnt exist - Ill stick with that big ulusub and just hang in there until I become beast enough to manuever that thing around. It tracks pretty well. But theres definitely a difference hunting with that thing vs a pipe gun after a couple hours

Old 06-20-2018, 02:36 AM   #5
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Im thinking pipe/carbon roller - and preferably about 120cm.
I posted yesterday but seems like my post is gone (?), weird!

I was suggesting you looked into the Salvimar Hero.

Thick aluminum oval shaped hidroformed barrel, inverted mechanism (rated to 350kg), anatomic handle (can be configured even for lefties), reel included (but not the line)

Available in 115, 125 and 135cms. 7,5mm shaft with sharkfins for those lengths.

Two 16mm bands.

And it is cheap (by US estandards!), at least here in Spain it can be had for less than 300.

I hope it helps!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Im looking at the handle modification posts and wondering if doing that to my Rob Allen 120 might be enough if I powered up the bands.

Some of those test videos have incredible results!

Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #7
spearq8

An aluminium Pathos Pro 120 with the plastic trigger ... just mod the handle with epoxy putty, then 2 x 14.5mm bands and a good 7mm or 7.5mm shaft @ around 150cm to 155cm shaft ... add a cone to it ... and you are good to go. This will all probably cost you less than $200 and is the best deal out there. I would keep an eye out in case a good SS trigger comes out as a future upgrade (there are none I would recommend at the moment).
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote