Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver
Re: New "project" boat - RIB

Finally got out of town, but not for any diving unfortunately. It was my grandfathers 90th birthday, so I headed out to the family cabin to help him celebrate with 20 other family members.

I took the new boat along for her maiden voyage, and another, and about 30 more before the weekend was out. It was great fun and fortunately both of my uncles were there to help me get her running. Had a few problems at first from fouled spark plugs. The guy who owned it before me used it as a trolling motor which may have caused the fouling. After some scrubbing and changing the gaps, she ran like a champ! despite the spark problems, she still started up on the first pull when I got there, weeks after she was run last.

Thank you everyone for helping me get her up and running! I will undoubtedly have additional questions as I make the transition to salt water, and wouldn't have made it this far without your advice.

Some proof of her running.

Her first passenger, a seafaring bird dog

She's smart enough to know something isn't right.

Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Putmeincoach
Nate

Send a message via Skype™ to Putmeincoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildiver View Post
Finally got out of town, but not for any diving unfortunately. It was my grandfathers 90th birthday, so I headed out to the family cabin to help him celebrate with 20 other family members.

I took the new boat along for her maiden voyage, and another, and about 30 more before the weekend was out. It was great fun and fortunately both of my uncles were there to help me get her running. Had a few problems at first from fouled spark plugs. The guy who owned it before me used it as a trolling motor which may have caused the fouling. After some scrubbing and changing the gaps, she ran like a champ! despite the spark problems, she still started up on the first pull when I got there, weeks after she was run last.

Thank you everyone for helping me get her up and running! I will undoubtedly have additional questions as I make the transition to salt water, and wouldn't have made it this far without your advice.

Some proof of her running.

Her first passenger, a seafaring bird dog

She's smart enough to know something isn't right.
Very cool man. I've been following your boat threads for a while now, and I've really enjoyed them. I've got that exact merc on a small duck boat.. it's so easy to work on, and will last for almost ever if you take care of it. Awesome to see your rig up and running, and I've got to say it again.. beautiful dog.
Putmeincoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Devildiver
Casey H.

Thanks for the compliment, I assume you have similar taste in dogs? The motor seems like a great runner, which makes me happy about using it in the ocean.

Couldn't resist: here's one of me exploiting the physics of a big man in a little boat. Notice the clean hull

Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
North Star
Max

Captain Ahab has been born! But the dog probably thinks it's Captain Bligh. Did he try to mutiny? I took my beagle out once on a boat, and he promptly jumped overboard!

Glad to see you got her running. Sweet ride!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
LittleGoat
Real name is Jarom

Looking good!

I couldn't help but notice that you first passenger and your helper from the first post are different dogs. How many dogs do you have?

Looks great and that is a pretty funny shot of you in the back of the boat. Looks like you have a motor that is overpowered for the boat and you are gunning it.
LittleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
Devildiver
Casey H.

Max: I had to google that one, but no, she didn't mutiny. The real test was after the first ride once she was out of the boat on dry land. she came when I called her and jumped back in! It helps that I took her out to chase the geese on the first trip!

LittleGoat: I have three dogs - two shorthairs and one Vizsla. The shorthair pictured here is actually only partially mine as she lives with my ex, and visits me a few times a week.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
fishizzle77

Now you need a tiller extension handle and a dolphin fin. Looks good, nice job.
fishizzle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
Devildiver
Casey H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishizzle77 View Post
Now you need a tiller extension handle and a dolphin fin. Looks good, nice job.
I was planning on making a tiller extension handle out of 1.5" pvc and a hose clamp, but what does the dolphin fin do for the boat? Is it for trolling, or does it help it stay level?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

way to go man...I ahve been watching the threads for a while too. glad to see you are up and running...you should be slamming rockfish in no time
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
fishizzle77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildiver View Post
I was planning on making a tiller extension handle out of 1.5" pvc and a hose clamp, but what does the dolphin fin do for the boat? Is it for trolling, or does it help it stay level?
It keeps the bow down & helps you get on plane quicker so you're not plowing. Also, when you step up to a bigger motor it helps with the overall control so you don't get air-born. Walmart has them for $24 & an official tiller extension is $20ish.
fishizzle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
cdog
cdog

Definitely some good looking dogs! How was your bird season?

Is that Lake Billy Chinook?
cdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #27
Devildiver
Casey H.

Finally got her out in the ocean this past weekend and killed some fish!

With three divers, gear, and a dog, she was one packed RIB, but she made it to the killing grounds just fine - even with the 50+ gallons of water we took over the bow from one particularly nasty swell.

Here's a pic of the carnage - because of camera difficulties, I didn't get any pics of the fish in the boat, but rest assured, they were there.

Here's a pic of Philip, Ben, and myself with our catch. It was definitely a phenomenal first run for this little trooper.

Now to find a 15-20' RIB with a 25-50hp outboard!

Casey
Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Devildiver
Casey H.

Took her out the next day for some h&l fishing as well as some crabbing. All I got was a mean sunburn, but it's great to be on the water in your own boat!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
LittleGoat
Real name is Jarom

Great to hear you did well. There wasn't any life to speak of in the bay as I learned on Saturday.

The feeling of being out on the water on a boat that is yours is an awesome one indeed. Especially when you put some serious elbow grease in getting it there!
LittleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
Devildiver
Casey H.

Where we're you diving Saturday? What time? I looked for divers, but didn't see any. It definitely was an awesome feeling. Sadly, I'm headed to South America for the summer and won't get to play with her again for untold amounts of time :-(