Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2004 Tournament Archives > Spearboard Open Archives 2004 > Spearboard Open Results

Spearboard Open Results Check here for the 2004 Spearboard Open Results

Old 05-26-2004, 02:56 PM   #61
Spearooo

yeah you would

Now you have to defend a title. it would still end at the same time. You could shoot one day and still kick some....If the weather Gods simile on you then its on...

The format was great......
I still can't decide on twe two day thing, As it was I was dead beat on monday. Another full day of diving plus a drive would be alot to deal with.. iether way as soon as Scott set a date its on my calender........
till then keep the pics of the SBO Coming....
Spearooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #62
Prodigal Son

Sounds like a few people are losing perspective here with minutia. This isn't football. The most important thing is you all had a GREAT time! I know I'm outside of this (being on the left coast), but you guys have absolutely no idea of how envious I am about what you have. I can't believe some of this silly prattle about this rule or that (though I agree with Chad about measures to limit numbers of fish taken). You guys had the Woodstock of spearfishing on the efforts of a relatively few generous, dedicated indivduals. Man, I sincerely hope Scott and his wife give some serious thought to moving out to Southern Calif. We'll take it gladly without any complaints.
Prodigal Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:02 PM   #63
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

All points taken with respect guys, this is good brainstorming.

I'm personally driving to the Big Easy for the HDR, then we drive to Galveston, dive two days and drive back. We give up one whole day of the 3.5 day tournament to make the drives.
I did it last year too, and the AL Open the year before that, it was also a 2 dive day tournament. The ALO was a good tournament and the HDR is great! This year the ALO is the same weekend. I always wanted to do them back to back, oh well.

This year the Hell Divers will even have a prize table. Zeagle and many others are sponsors, my Quiver Light & Shaft Holders too.

I've heard of more FL entries this year. In years past it has just been me and Thomas Biller from Florida.

I wouldn't mind carpooling in my truck if somebody else is heading up, but sorry there was never an open space for anyone else on the boat.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 05-26-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:29 PM   #64
diligaf

Chad,

It’s just my personal observations and other divers I’ve spoken with (nothing scientific) that on average gags are more plentiful in the Gulf but the average size is probably larger on the east coast. Blacks and Warsaws would be a different story.

I think the discussion on changing the tournament format has probably been taken a little too serious. Personally… I’m not too concerned about the future formats… I’m sure Scott will do what is most fair to all and my opinion is he got it right for this tournament and things should not be changed.

However, you might want to consider the position of a small boater on the two-day format. Would you be willing to dive on a smaller boat in next year’s tournament? Having to drive out, dive all day, come back in a night, refuel, refill tanks or most likely borrow tanks because most dive shops are not open late nights, try to sleep for one or two hours and head back out to do it all again. It doesn’t sound like fun and isn’t this supposed to be fun?

Dave
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #65
RichT

Chad,
you bring up some interesting points about two day tournaments.
I have had some experience with two day tournaments(Florida state freediving championships and old Suncoast shootouts).And Yes, I do remember many people complaining they should only be one day tournaments back then
I dont believe more is neccesarily better. (2 days)
Do you know what our fuel bill was for this one day tournament?
it was nearly 600 dollars including oil.
In my opinion, a format other than the one that occured will encourage big slow diesel boats and discourage go-fast boats.
Thats fine with me if that is what tournament organizers are trying for. But, like I mentioned before adding more days to a tournament will keep people away from there familys longer.
It may cost a lot more for some participants especially with gas predicted to go to 3.00 a gallon, and What about the air issue.
None of these things are insurmountable obstacles but I still dont believe you will increase participation with the added days.
I could be wrong though.
I asked in another thread about numbers of past participants for the Louisianna tournaments and have not recieved any response as of yet.(both of those tournament are multiple day tournaments I believe).
What needs to be remembered is Scott has just put on a Tournament that im sure ranks in the top ten tournaments of all time in the amount of participants.
Great dialog though by everyone.

Last edited by RichTaylor; 05-26-2004 at 06:13 PM.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #66
junior

Dudes, it was a great time and that's all I got to say about that.

I wonder if since this is a virtual spearfishing forum, if we will ever attempt a virtual tournament.

Check this out...people from around the world can participate in this one

You get seven days to shoot.

All legal fish from all over the world are fair game for the tournament.

Points are awarded based on the single largest fish of each type a participant shoots so you would have guys in Indonesia holding dog tooth tuna up against warsaw grouper from the Florida middle grounds against kingfish from New Zealand against white sea bass from California against sturgeon from Russia etc. etc.

The awards ceremony would take place in Florida with internet connections showing live feeds of the weigh in's in all the places where participants have joined. The official scales would be mailed from the SBO committee to the host weigh centers.

Prizes would be picked from a virtual show room with all prizes displayed. Shooters would pick from the show room in the order in which they placed and the sponsors would then mail the prizes to the participants.

Hair-brained idea...yes. But, man that would be a cool thing to have happen since so many people from around the world are on this site. A trully international speafishing event
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #67
ROCK BOTTOM

However, you might want to consider the position of a small boater on the two-day format. Would you be willing to dive on a smaller boat in next year’s tournament? Having to drive out, dive all day, come back in a night, refuel, refill tanks or most likely borrow tanks because most dive shops are not open late nights, try to sleep for one or two hours and head back out to do it all again. It doesn’t sound like fun and isn’t this supposed to be fun?

Dave,

I dive several multi-day tournaments every year. On a typical day of diving I cover ten miles of running inshore and a minimum of forty miles offshore. This is a total of 100 miles round trip. I dive from a 25 center console. It is not as difficult as you are making it out to be. I bring 8 tanks per day if my wife is diving with me for a total of 24 tanks on a three day trip. Each day we head out with sixteen tanks plus gear for four divers. We get up at six, dive until we are exhausted then head in to refuel and clean up. We are usually done by seven pm and hit the rack by ten. Not much different from a day at the office. Do I compete, look at the board from the SBO. Fact is most boats in the HDR are under 25 feet. In my area of the pond, there are not that many people in larger sportfishers that would ever consider tying their floating hotel up to a rig much less allow someone to bring scuba tanks on board for fear of scratching up the teak.

I guess what I am getting at is that if you are looking for a good time and if you are really a competitor, than you will do whatever you can to get in the race. And yes, two days of diving is more fun than only one.

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #68
ROCK BOTTOM

!

The Radiators

Last edited by ROCK BOTTOM; 05-26-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #69
ROCK BOTTOM

!

The Radiators

Last edited by ROCK BOTTOM; 05-26-2004 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #70
f94gator

OK, this big debate is basically what I thought we should avoid at the moment.
Guys, several people on this board, (myself not included) busted their asses to put on that kickass event this past weekend and they're probably looking forward to NOT thinking about tournament planning and decompressing a little bit this week. Let's shelve the format discussions for now, please.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #71
Spearooo

nice idea

Junior thats a great idea, maybe it can be done by length or make competitor go to a local supermarket and pothograph the fish on the scale or next to yard stick and a Newspaper. .... could be interesting..... Could be a single fish per species...
Spearooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:55 PM   #72
Spearchucker

Rich,

I don't understand, can you clarify
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #73
Denny
Grounds Hog Day

One is enough. Participation would fall way off, IMHO. My tourney went like this: Get home Thursday night from the Gulf Council Meeting and fix a broken truck. Gas and ice the boat Friday, PLUS do the last minute crap that comes up. Up at 3:30 to make the ramp by five. Get home, clean the boat and gear and collapse.
Chad- I'm looking forward to the Chad Carney open. Pick the number of days and the rules. Set it up.

Rock & Rich: I know you both, and you guys would like each other alot. If I have to sit you both down and do shots with ya 'til you admit that each other is a cool person, I'm gonna get REALLY drunk, and you will both pay for the liquor. And clean up after me when I hurl.

Protecting and promoting the rights of offshore spearfishers and anglers. Join us!
http://www.thefra.org

Check out OFFSHORE HUNTER
Waypoint management software for the serious spearfisher.
Got numbers?
http://www.offshorehunter.com
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:06 PM   #74
diligaf

Denny... can I participate in the Shot Drinking Open too?
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #75
ROCK BOTTOM

Kevin,

I am in the process of PMing Rich right now but let me make a full and manly retraction of my pissy statement. And, you are probably right, I meant to find Rich at the tournament and meet him mano a mano for a few beers.

Rich,

My sincerest apologies.

Next year, I will bring a few extra beers for when Scott runs out. We will discuss this further but only under those circumstances. Having a bad day is no excuse.

Steve Zelenka

The Radiators