Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #31
jbsrq

Re: Wetsuit thickness question for Floridians

That's it. It's more comfortable diving and I feel less restriction during breath ups with high waist. I have a couple buddies that had farmer johns and have all cut the tops off to be high waist.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
Shorediver

3mm for Winter
5mm for days when the water drops below 70.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #33
heybuddies

Open cell is much warmer IMO. I have a Mako farmer john that is 3.5 mil, open cell. I only wear it when water is below 70 but never get cold in it even in Feb. I freedive but still submerged for hours at a time, and never feel breathing is more constricted than in any other suit of similar thickness. Obviously cold tolerance is important but I can't imagine wearing anything thicker in the Tampa area. To give you an idea of mine, have a 1.5 mil Riffe one-piece lined suit and I get too hot in it once the water gets near 80. I've been in water down to 57 degrees in my Mako suit and was still fine.
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #34
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #35
SpearoSevv

Great thread! This will be my first year diving during the cold months and I'll be looking for a new wetsuit to match the weather. Used to only dive when it was warm, but the hobby has become an addiction. Must. Dive. More.

I've been drooling over the mako reversible suits, those look nice and are about in my price range- but im wondering what thickness i should use. Ideally, I'd like a suit i can dive year round in. I have a shortie suit for keeping the sun off my back and for use in the warmer months, but now I'm looking at a full body suit for fall/winter months. It looks like a full body 3 mil suit will work from what I've read so far.

Any recommendations on the suits thickness/style? One piece better than 2/3 piece? Also wondering if anyone knows a vendor who sells custom suits for tall skinny gentlemen like myself- 6'1", 135lb. Tough to find without going to the women's suit section of the site!
SpearoSevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #36
82airborne

have a 3m and 5 however never use the 5 prefer the 3 and if its to cool just lavacore makes it all better
82airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #37
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
That's it. It's more comfortable diving and I feel less restriction during breath ups with high waist. I have a couple buddies that had farmer johns and have all cut the tops off to be high waist.

The benefits of high waist pants are reduced buoyancy, easier breathing and also the ability to relieve yourself without removal of the jacket.

The benefits of a FJ pants are that the suit is warmer - however it costs a little more to make a FJ due to the additional material and sewing.

I've tried to offer the best of both worlds, as described on our website:

HIGH WAIST BOTTOMS OR FARMER JOHNS?

High Waist Bottons or Farmer Johns? You decide. Each suit comes with the Farmer John Bottoms for added warmth. However, if you prefer the High Waist Pants, no problem.

We deliberately placed the upper seam in the appropriate spot to allow you, the diver to remove the shoulder straps by following (cutting) just above the strategically placed seam for a perfect and professional looking cut that will not fray. But, don't throw away the newly created tank top. You might want to save it for a chilly day.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #38
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoSevv View Post
.....Any recommendations on the suits thickness/style? One piece better than 2/3 piece? Also wondering if anyone knows a vendor who sells custom suits for tall skinny gentlemen like myself- 6'1", 135lb. Tough to find without going to the women's suit section of the site!
My takeaways from the advice I've gotten:
  • Scuba guys swear by one-piece suits. I'm a scuba guy, but I'm also an early adopter, so I often find myself in the awkward position of having to contemplate mild forms of treachery, like buying fiberglass longfins.
  • Most people agree that "open cell" wetsuits {which use the same closed-cell neoprene but have no liner and are shorn on their inner surface} are warmer because the suit sticks to your body through microsuction and prevents water from circulating. Circulating water is the quickest cause of heat loss in a wetsuit.
  • No matter the style, it's important to get a wetsuit that fits you well to prevent water circulation
  • Peeing a little is a good way to temporarily assuage perceived heat loss. It's more effective in a wetsuit than in a dry suit.
  • Most people who have used 2-piece "open cell" wetsuits claim that they keep you warmer than a 1-piece scuba "closed cell" / "lined" wetsuit of the same thickness. Some claim that if you're used to a lined 5mm suit keeping you warm, that the next size thinner open cell suit will feel similar. This is predicated on having a tight fit.
  • Open cell suits require some type of lube to put on, like water/conditioner/KY Tony/other commercial products. Closed cell / lined suits are easy to get on and off while dry.
  • Open cell suits are easier to damage, mainly because they don't have the liner to protect them inside.
  • Open cell suits are more expensive, because you're a sucker for camo. And because they use "special open cell technology", which means they have to tell the factory people NOT to put the liner on the inside. This is hard.
  • Camo is probably useless, but everyone else is doing it. But you of course look more manly, unless you get that pansy blue/purple bluewater type.
  • Open cell suits are more flexible, because liners reduce flex/stretch. Therefore, freedivers prefer open cell so as to have less restriction on breathing and to facilitate calmer movement.
  • Because of the construction of open cell suits, there is little market for 1-piece. Only specialty divers wear 1-piece open cell. IMHO, spearfishermen would tear up a 1-piece open cell in short order. For the most part, if you buy an open cell suit, you're buying a 2-piece. Most 2-piece open cell suits have a "beaver tail" crotch, which is the long flap in the back that folds between your legs and is secured inside the front of your jacket. A proper fit is important to ensure that water doesn't flow into the leg holes.
  • Because closed cell suits allow more water to flow against your skin, no one recommends 2-piece closed cell suits. Everyone using a closed cell / lined suit recommends a 1-piece. The liner makes them practical to don & doff.
  • For balance of warmth and flexibility, open cell users recommend high waisted pants. Low waisted are OK, but they may allow more water circulation and don't give your core extra insulation. Farmer John style (suspenders) are warmest, but are said to restrict breathing - there are numerous anecdotes of freedivers cutting off the straps on their Farmer Johns to convert them to high waist.
  • For the Tampa area in the Gulf, most people who don't dive as much in the dead of winter recommend a 3mm open cell. For the colder conditions, most say a 5mm open cell should be sufficient.
  • The scuba suit / closed cell crowd recommend a 5mm or 7mm 1-piece for the coldest conditions.
  • An added benefit of the 2-piece open cell suits is that you can mix & match pants & jacket for varying water temps. You can even go pantsless, and possibly win a spot on your local women's gymnastics team.

Last edited by Tyson Brown; 10-26-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #39
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

One more question for the freediving crowd:

What do you wear under your wetsuit pants:
  • Hawaiian Print Speedo (TM)
  • Regular Boxers
  • Fruit-of-the-Loom Briefs
  • Cram... those.... freakin.... board ....shorts ..... IN
  • Nothing
  • Specialty "wetsuit" boxers like Mako sells http://www.makospearguns.com/Under-W...ers-p/muwj.htm
  • Speared fish and lobster
  • SpongeBob Square Pants
Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #40
diverlb

3ml farmer john down to 60 then add hooded vest for 10 dives in a day at 54 degrees. After that time to stay home, it's too cold to dive! lol Seriously you can wear the pieces in various combinations and find what's the most comfortable for the days conditions.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #41
jbsrq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
One more question for the freediving crowd:

What do you wear under your wetsuit pants:
  • Hawaiian Print Speedo (TM)
  • Regular Boxers
  • Fruit-of-the-Loom Briefs
  • Cram... those.... freakin.... board ....shorts ..... IN
  • Nothing
  • Specialty "wetsuit" boxers like Mako sells http://www.makospearguns.com/Under-W...ers-p/muwj.htm
  • Speared fish and lobster
  • SpongeBob Square Pants
nothing. I have surfed nearly my whole life in warm and cold water and been diving for many years, was always weirded out when people wear anything under a wetsuit.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #42
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
nothing. I have surfed nearly my whole life in warm and cold water and been diving for many years, was always weirded out when people wear anything under a wetsuit.
Nice. I guess that's about the same as me laughing at people who wear boxers under their board shorts. This is the sort of thing you can only ask other dudes on the internet.

So, I'd bet good money that anyone who still has their suit pants on in the kill shot back at the dock is also a Commando.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #43
SpearoSevv

Tyson, I think you answered every question I had quite well. I'm not going to quote the post because its too big, but thank you! I think I have a few brands and thicknesses narrowed down now. Next to make a custom order for my size.

Oh, Tyson, the most I wear under my shortie wetsuit is a "Snikwah" swim shirt for added insulation/ neck protection from the sun. I tend to burn haha.

It honestly doesn't bug me out if you free ball it or wear something under your suit to me. Get it on, get in the water, if it functions like it should, your good.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #44
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoSevv View Post
........Oh, Tyson, the most I wear under my shortie wetsuit is a "Snikwah" swim shirt for added insulation/ neck protection from the sun. I tend to burn haha.......

I wear a rash guard during the summer. Notably, wearing one of these under an open cell wetsuit would defeat the benefit of the open cell foam sticking to your skin, instead creating space that allows water to circulate. So, if you go the open cell route, ditch the Snickersbah when its cold.

Last edited by Tyson Brown; 10-27-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #45
SpearoSevv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post

I wear a rash guard during the summer. Notably, wearing one of these under an open cell wetsuit would defeat the benefit of the open cell foam sticking to your skin, instead creating space that allows water to circulate. So, if you go the open cell route, ditch the Snickersbah when its cold.
Will do, my friend. On an unrelated note... I tweaked out my JBL 38 magnum, 2x 16" bands with a (I wanna say 8/16 di?), a new mono line and ditched the old bungee. Also got a rock tip, and threw the shitty double twister rocktip on my 6' pole spear for "Standing shallow" dives.

This winter is gonna have a lot of sherpaderps (as we call them in the board game "Settlers of Catan") on the menu!

I think ill settle for either a 1-2mm suit and layer it with a 3mm suit. A little over budget, but the under suit would allow year-round diving.. with sun protection.

Should be quite a productive year!