Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #181
skygear
          

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
You're right blue would be tough, but BLUED spears is pretty simple...and would be cool too...
Blue from heat.
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #182
spearq8

Hey Tony ... do you have the weight of the barrel and belly alone without any paint. I forgot to weigh my 125 barrel before adding CF skin and wanted to know what the weight of the CF skin is. I have 752 grams now after the CF wrap ... what did it weigh before you painted it?

For the track I used a waxed 8.5mm shaft to form over the old track ... and my God the shaft slides so easy now ... even 8mm shafts should have no problem. Only thing I worry about is ballasting ... I removed the front weights but they only gave about 73 grams of weight ... going from 6.75mm to say 7.5mm (which I think should be a minimum for 160cm shaft) is more than the difference of weight removal ... plus you add some extra weight of the CF skin and some extra weight for the modded handle ... I think maybe 8mm shaft might make it a little heavy. Of course the weight is all the way at the muzzle so that makes me more optimistic that I can still ballast it with 8mm. Also there is quite a bit of unused voids inside the mating areas of the muzzle and handle area, so I figure I could add some hard foam there to help things.

I was going to skin the entire stock from muzzle to handle as I felt that during filing off the ET the stock was flexing too much !!! For sure the CF will help stiffen things, but it would have been superior to run the CF from the muzzle all the way to the handle as one mono bloc. But I decided against that as it would not allow to take the handle and muzzle out to fine tune ballasting. Maybe in another build where I have more ballast data. There is the option of increasing the bladder with wood or foam ... but that is just way too much work

I did have the idea of increasing the ballast of the 130 normal pipe pathos with a wood bladder and then covering everything with CF sleeve ... but that is another project all by itself. If you could make a SS trigger with side line release for the Pathos D'Angelo 1 handle (which I have done) and add to it the 130 aluminium barrel ... a belly and a CF sleeve and you have a solid blue water CF speargun for less than $ 300 !!! Now that might be an interesting DIY project.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:50 AM   #183
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
increasing the ballast of the 130 normal pipe pathos with a wood bladder and then covering everything with CF sleeve ... but that is another project all by itself. If you could make a SS trigger with side line release for the Pathos D'Angelo 1 handle (which I have done) and add to it the 130 aluminium barrel ... a belly and a CF sleeve and you have a solid blue water CF speargun for less than $ 300 !!! Now that might be an interesting DIY project.
indeed!
actually been mucking around with plain wood version of the udder in the water again this arvo after KWTony jogged things by posting pic of the Pathos plastic one. Am using local vitex wood which is around 0.8 spec grav in this air, failry neutral buoyancy - and compact as stabiliser. Waiting for replacement shaft to arrive before can really compare to how gun shoots with plain barrel. cool how you can just slide the attachment along the barrel and see how it affects handling, but this is heavy and having it as far back on the barrel as possible suits my shooting best. Going to knock up more flattened cuttleboneish version of the udder, try and retain more of that pipegun freeswing whilst maintaining volume and lateral resistance.

looking forward to seeing variations on that belly/bladder/udder in the future!
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #184
Diver278

Were can I get the shaft cones? That looks like a good idea.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #185
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Were can I get the shaft cones? That looks like a good idea.
shaft cones are good for double barbs and useless for good shaft w good barb
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #186
Diver278

Thanks but I still like the idea he is using and would like to know were to get them.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #187
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

I have plenty of good shafts with good floppers and they still make them better.

Glad that we are sharing thorough and informative decisions regarding these cones....
Call petros at spearamerica he has then

Last edited by kwtony; 02-22-2017 at 10:15 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #188
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
I have plenty of good shafts with good floppers and they still make them better.

Glad that we are sharing thorough and informative information regarding these cones....
Call petros at spearamerica he has then
if you have a good shaft with good flopper then you do not need the cone , if the cone makes yr shaft being better it means your shaft is not that "good"

but this i understand because plenty from shafts are not that " good "
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #189
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Z1taz i dont get it, is something going on with you??

Youve been shitting on people threads over and over for the past year.

While this latest post is the most information youve put up on the site in a year, it still simply tells us nothing.
I actually know what you are TRYING to say, but perhaps the language barrier makes you come off completely different and like you are trying preach to us with what you know.....if you care to inject facts and explanitory pronciples thats fine. But even a brand name would be better then you coming here and "telling " us we are all doing it wrong.

Im signing off this shit show for a while, yall kids have fun....
Old 02-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #190
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Glad that we are sharing thorough and informative decisions regarding these cones....
Good one

Now, that we speak of cones be aware that Sigalsub cones have different bores than their designated shaft diameters. Reason being that Sigal shafts are turned down slightly (app. 0.2mm) just in front of the flopper. E.g. the Sigal cones for 7.5mm shafts have a bore of 7.3mm.

BTW, I have cones on all my single flopper spears now. Call me a sucker for trusting the guy who actually devoted real time to test this properly.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:45 AM   #191
spearq8

A cone makes a huge improvement in performance on ALL full bore shafts (non recessed). If your flopper is recessed then you might not need a cone. The cone streamlines water flow around the flopper and reduces vectoring of shaft due to extensions of the flopper. It also dramatically improves penetration ... and also reduces tension on the pin holding the flopper if your shaft happens to hit rock or coral as the hit will be taken by the cone rather than the shaft pin. Properly placed a cone can also buttress the flopper as the flopper will use the cone to effectively strengthen the flopper by reducing the unsupported length of the flopper. All you have to do is make a tight fist and run it down the tip of the shaft ... with a cone ... and then without a cone ... you will understand why this tiny piece of metal is really useful.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #192
Diver278

Thanks guys I'll get some.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:03 AM   #193
Diver278

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
True that ... I wonder why speargun manufacturers don't realize how much an improvement a $.30 cone can have on the final performance of the speargun they are selling. It makes accuracy better ... velocity is better ... penetration is better ... less possibility of damage to the flopper pin ... glued on properly it actually supports the flopper and makes it stronger. I don't get it ??!!! I actually prefer a cone over a recessed flopper as it keeps the tip much stronger. With recessed floppers you need to shave off metal on the tip ... which makes the tip very weak and prone to bending.

I see that you tie your line at the back of the shaft ... I find that causes the shaft to do a wheelie at extended ranges causing poor penetration and high impact. It looks like you don't have a rest tab on the shaft ... but if this is not a carbon shaft, you could drill a hole in the back fin and set your loop so it doesn't interfere when you load a wishbone on the front pin. I think you will find that you get better accuracy that way. If this is a carbon shaft then forget it as you can't drill into that without compromising the corrosion resistant coating.
Wow times have changed. Called to see about cones and they are 5 bucks each now, not to mention out of stock they will be in in about a month.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:42 AM   #194
spearq8

I think the .30 cost I put was if you just bought the cones ... I meant that is what it would cost a speargun manufacturer to put a cone on their shafts. Obviously if you buy the cones separately it will cost much more as there is shipping, storing, and other costs involved. $5 does seem a little steep and I think you can find them for about $2 online from Diveinn. But they also seem to be out of stock of the cones as well as out of stock of the 14mm small ID bands. This usually means those items are selling well ... and for good reason!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #195
Diver278

Thanks spearq8 I'll check back with them also.