Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
DavidTaylor

Smile good basic freediving fins?

Hey everyone, so im hoping to get some feedback on some decent intro freediving fins. Up till lately I have been mostly scuba diving and working on my dive master cert. I have been using my Volo Power scuba fins while freediving and can get to 50+ feet but i want to know what you guys think would be a good pair of fins to get my foot in the door. thanks!
DavidTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
theburb

Re: good basic freediving fins?

anything will fell like sex compared to those fins.
theburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
DavidTaylor

anything will fell like sex compared to those fins

I'm sure! Going down to 50 feet or more feels like I have to kick a million times
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
jjjjeremy

Skip the basic fins and go straight to the good stuff. You're already a diver, so you know you're not going to dump the money in a random hobby you won't care about in 6 months. Pathos and Omer Stingray pockets seem to be the standard for good blades, but it's a personal choice. I use Leaderfin carbon blades in medium that I think are good value. I like them better than my buddy's fiberglass DiveRs.

If you just want cheap, and you're around a 12.5 shoe size, you can have my old plastic blades and Sporasub pockets for cheap.
jjjjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Tommy T

DT,
Check out what Dano has to offer. Not 100% positive but you may be able to swap out basic plastic fins with FB or carbon blades. Scroll down on link. A lot of good options. Good luck. T
http://www.makospearguns.com/Fins-s/68.htm
Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
JDSapp

If you want some good plastics to beat to hell cressi 2000hf are what I use and have zero complaints.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
DavidTaylor

@Jjjjeramy, I want to get the good ones, but the semester just started awhile ago so there went all my money. And thanks, but I'm a 10 1/2-11. Has anyone heard anything about the cressi Gara modular? Cause I could get a pair from them for $85 but then when I have the money could replace the blades with CF
Old 04-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
jjjjeremy

good basic freediving fins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor View Post
@Jjjjeramy, I want to get the good ones, but the semester just started awhile ago so there went all my money. And thanks, but I'm a 10 1/2-11. Has anyone heard anything about the cressi Gara modular? Cause I could get a pair from them for $85 but then when I have the money could replace the blades with CF

I have a buddy who swears by the Cressi foot pockets. It all depends on how they fit your foot. Your best bet is to try a few on with your booties. The Pathos pockets are moldable too, and as far as I know, the only ones that are. Maybe the Nemo pockets too?

You're doing it the right way, finding pockets first and blades later, rather that shooting for the cheapest set overall.
jjjjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

I see you are in Menifee. If you want to make the drive come over the shop to Irvine to try one pockets. A pocket that fits is the most important component.
i have here the Salvimar Step, Omer, Picasso, Pathos, C4 mustang, Salvimar Next.

Once you find the pocket we can discuss blades. The plastics start at $95 going all the way up to $175 and when you are ready to upgrade the leaderfins fiberglass are only $130.

http://www.spearamerica.com/spearfis...s-plastic.html

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #10
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Neptonics have a good range of fins starting from plastics to carbon fiber. We have a phenomenal pair of Italian carbon fiber blades at the moment on sale from $360 down to $249 (Tax free if you live outside of Fl.). For what you're getting it's a ridiculous price. These blades (G.F.T Carbonio) are worn by many European freedivers and they've been our best seller to date.

We've also got a great pair of robust composite fiberglass blades from South African manufacturer, Spearmaster for $145, their performance won't match the carbonio's but they're extremely durable and will out perform plastic by a long way.

f you're planning on sticking around for a while spending a fraction more on a solid pair of composites or carbon fibers that will last you a long time and have much better performance might be the way to go. You can also resell them if you decide to upgrade.

If you have any questions give us a call and we'll be sure to help.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #11
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

If you are comfortable with fixed blades, you might take a look at these fins. Inexpensive and rugged.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Freediv...ns-p/mfhff.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
woodshooter

Skip the plastics and look at the fg or cf blades. take a little time and save up some cash and get something good it will last longer and give better results. If I could go back in time I would have never wasted money on plastic blades. fins are one of your most important kit.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
jbartley

what does anyone think about leaderfin blades in a omer foot pocket
jbartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #14
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

They are definitely a good buy for the money since they are priced so close to some of the plastics in the market.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
jbartley

how would you suggest purchasing them ? Fiberglass or Carbon. I understand that the carbon blades are a mixture, So for that i might as well go with the Fiberglass? Im trying to upgrade from the Mares Razors. I kick right threw the plastics fins in current.
jbartley is offline   Reply With Quote