Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #16
CaliDiverDan

Re: Custom suit/zipper opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob102 View Post
I’ve been using polo sub Forza Tre smooth skin suits on the north coast for the last 6 years.

The benefits are custom paint job and they dry instantly for a warmer ride on a boat or in the wind, possibly a little less drag when diving.

What did you expect to gain?
Mostly I was hoping for more hydrodynamics and more flexibility in the suit to move easier in the water and take more air into my lungs (with more flexibility in the material). Every little bit counts.

When diving the cold NorCal conditions with a 7mm off the shelf suit compared to Mexico with wearing some shorts and a 1mm top, there is a huge difference. NorCal w/7mm off shelf suit=1:30 down time at 60-70' max for me. Mexico= 2:30 at 75'+. And everything in-between confirms that.

I'm hoping the smooth skin will help me increase my dive time in Northern California and hoping I won't tear the hell out of the delicate material with the hole hunting we mostly do up here.

At least I won't be reaching deep into a rocky hole to pry an abalone off anymore.
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #17
rob102

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDiverDan View Post
Mostly I was hoping for more hydrodynamics and more flexibility in the suit to move easier in the water and take more air into my lungs (with more flexibility in the material). Every little bit counts.

When diving the cold NorCal conditions with a 7mm off the shelf suit compared to Mexico with wearing some shorts and a 1mm top, there is a huge difference. NorCal w/7mm off shelf suit=1:30 down time at 60-70' max for me. Mexico= 2:30 at 75'+. And everything in-between confirms that.

I'm hoping the smooth skin will help me increase my dive time in Northern California and hoping I won't tear the hell out of the delicate material with the hole hunting we mostly do up here.

At least I won't be reaching deep into a rocky hole to pry an abalone off anymore.
The Forza Tre has a little less flexibility than a typical high end neoprene 7mm suit. Essentially it's a typical 5mm suit with fabric. Then an additional 2mm of slightly denser neoprene is added on top of the fabric. This improves hydrodynamics somewhat but reduces the flexibility when reaching and probably a little on breathe up but I haven't noticed.

I don't think you are going to improve your dive time with a Forza Tre vs another 7mm freedive suit. Whatever gain you were expecting from a freedive suit you've probably already realized. You certainly have more flexibility across the chest with a 5mm, 3mm etc, which equates to less lead, less restriction and better bottom time in warm water. Up here in cold water, once you have a freedive suit, carbon blades, low volume mask etc., the best way to gain bottom time is with a good breathe up, proper surface interval and just relaxing and eliminating unnecessary movement.
rob102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #18
CaliDiverDan

Ok, here's my report back on this thread I started. I ordered an Elios upper suit in smooth skin and lowers in regular open cell inside, cloth outside for NorCal diving.

A. I did not not notice any difference in maneuverability/breath hold improvement.
B. The bottoms were fine in the water, but when walking on land, the suit would chaff my legs behind the knees. Never had this problem before with other suits.
C. The smooth skin top for sure kept me warmer when I was out of the water.
D. The smooth skin top got a small hole in it when it snagged on my kayak seat as I was jumping in. I thought, "Ok, I'll patch that when I get home" but when I got back to shore and took my suit off, it tore in half from the hip to the head in half a second.
E. I added 2 fingers in my neck measurement when placing my order to try to help with the constricting feeling most suits give me by the end of the day but I did not notice any improvement.
Still looking for my perfect suit...
CaliDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote