Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
trawkins

Boat registration technicalities

The following are details and a question regarding registering a motorboat in the state of Florida:

1) Florida requires that only motorized vessels be registered. (vessels without motorized or machine based forms of motion or motion assistance do not have to be registered)

2) Florida requires that all motorized vessels be registered within 30 days of purchase

3) I plan to buy an inflatable and row it (read: non-motorized) a good long time before I can save up enough to buy an actual motor for it.

The question is, am I required to register this boat within 30 days of purchase simply because I plan to make it a motorboat eventually, or do I register within 30 days of buying a motor, when the boat technically becomes a "motorized vessel" for the first time?

Thank you,
Trawkins.
trawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
LittleGoat
Real name is Jarom

Re: Boat registration technicalities

I know that in Oregon, where I live, we have a State Marine Board that governs registration guidelines. I would recommend googling Florida Boat Registration Guidelines. Look for a State Government run website. Look for a Contact Us style link and see what they have to say. Good luck!
LittleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote