Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Seeco

Sticky? I decided not to go to mexico because license and visa process is confusing

Please make this a sticky and once 100 people have replied "same here" maybe they will realize that visa and license revenue is being lost by having a horrible registration system.
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
HEX
Hector F.

Re: Sticky? I decided not to go to mexico because license and visa process is confusi

Are you talking about for mainland Mexico or Baja California?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
Dannowar

Re: Sticky? I decided not to go to mexico because license and visa process is confusi

If you're talking about going to Baja without an fmm, don't fret. I've never once been asked to show it to ANYONE.
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Deadmanh

Where do I apply for a license to travel through Mexico from the various Cartels? They seem to have more authority than the government does, IMO. Or is that JUST the media blowing things up?
Deadmanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

You do the paperwork right there at the border. You go in, pull over for inspection, go to the immigration/ tourism window around the corner, fill out your visa stuff, pay the man, and are on your way.

Really not that hard.

As to fishing license, just get it from a local tackle shop.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
piztolero

are you serious? You didn't go to Mexico because of that?
piztolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #7
LookPointShoot

I feel like he's talking about going to Mexican waters, specifically the Coronado Islands. Which is a bit of a process. bdoutdoors and other R&R sites have the details on that.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #8
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

If you are talking about driving into mexico for more than a week you need to get a permit for whatever vehicle you drive down there with. If you are heading to baja then all you need is Mexican insurance, i talked to some federales while i drove down here. The fmm is not required. You will need to purchase a mexican fishing license prior to fishing anywhere in MX but you can pick those up at any specialty tackle store in the states.

As for credentials for coming back into the USA, I have been with many people that only had their birth certificates and drivers license. They all went through without any issues.

Where you will encounter issues is if you cross the MX border with an american vessel. Especially at the Nados. The pesca submarina is always looking to bust idiots that think the islands are part of the US.

In addition to having a MX fishing license, Ive been hit up 2 times now in the sea of cortez for these new bracelets which are possibly here to stay. Its like a sea of cortez nature pass since they are trying to aid in fighting illegal harvests like the totuaba. Cost is an additional 5 bucks or so a day and 34 bucks for the year.

Hooe that helps somewhat, but what was your question to begin with Seeco?
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
ScottS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
I feel like he's talking about going to Mexican waters, specifically the Coronado Islands. Which is a bit of a process. bdoutdoors and other R&R sites have the details on that.
Definitely have paperwork and passport this year if you are boating to Coronado from SD. The Mexican Navy has already towed several boats this year for not having paperwork. No more warnings apparently. I was only checked once last summer on 10 trips. So odds of being stopped are slim but getting towed to Ensenada to deal with the paper process would be a buzz kill. Sucks having to plan ahead, pay $$ and submit manifests just to go kill something. Miss the days of deciding to hit the islands when local conditions are not working.
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
Timinator

I just returned from two weeks in Baja driving 700 miles south. I already had a 1 year Mexico fishing license and didn't do anything else except eat tacos.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
Finbreaker
Thanks, but no tanks!

Hey Leo, where do you get the nature pass bracelets?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #12
peripatetic

Join the club Vagabundos del Mar. You can take care of all of your paperwork online or by mail.They also offer great insurance rates: The price of insurance for an entire year costs about what one week costs at the border I have used their services for the past 15 years, and its well worth the $35 annual membership fees
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
surforfish
Ocho Loko

Send a message via AIM to surforfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbreaker View Post
Hey Leo, where do you get the nature pass bracelets?

They have them at the launch ramp in BOLA. Never say anyone selling them in gonzaga area.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Definitely have paperwork and passport this year if you are boating to Coronado from SD. The Mexican Navy has already towed several boats this year for not having paperwork. No more warnings apparently. I was only checked once last summer on 10 trips. So odds of being stopped are slim but getting towed to Ensenada to deal with the paper process would be a buzz kill. Sucks having to plan ahead, pay $$ and submit manifests just to go kill something. Miss the days of deciding to hit the islands when local conditions are not working.
Lol sorry they make it so hard on you to fish there but that's just how it goes bro. Minor inconvenience compared to what they go through to be in the USA, don't you think.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
I just returned from two weeks in Baja driving 700 miles south. I already had a 1 year Mexico fishing license and didn't do anything else except eat tacos.
Nice haha! I've never had a passport either just use my birth certificate and they never give me problems on the way back. Never needed to get any other permits, they only made get a TIP temporary import permit at the border for my boat last time I took it to baja