Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Dbrown

Keys trip December 1-7, 2019

Hi everyone, down in Tavernier/Islamorada area. Been having a great time. Got half day in on Sat Yellowtailing and full day yesterday trolling. Caught a few kings and a nice 48” wahoo! Yellow tailed yesterday and caught a bunch again including an 18 and 20”er. Cold front is here and want to consider some other options over just fishing. So if anyone has some advice and areas for some very shallow free diving areas or lobster areas, please let me know. My scuba buddy and I can do the shallow stuff. If you would like to help us out, it would be much appreciated!! Just an out of towner here, so reliant on others to branch out while here. Will check with tackle shops as well. Thank you. Send me a Private Message if you would like and don’t want to post info on board.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Keys trip December 1-7, 2019

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A02DC49-3654-4B59-AA4C-11C901E63EBB.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	244552   Click image for larger version

Name:	1162B77C-6E37-4AAC-A07F-465DB4DEBA3F.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	244553  
Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
Sea_Bass

Nice catches man, that is a big yellowtail and the stripes on that wahoo really lite up. There is Long Key reef to the South of Islamorada and Davis Reef to the North. Both have shallow areas. If you need the numbers you can download the Monroe County .gpx file from FLGPX and these are on there as well as the other Key's wrecks. I would use the waypoint as a guide to get to the area and look off the beaten path for crappy bottom that no one would sight-see to dive.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
Dbrown

Thanks Sea Bass and thanks to Ed Martin of KillShot Spearguns. He gave some similar advice. We caught a nice sailfish yesterday and a king. Remain mainly focused on fishing with crew I am with, but will see what today and tomorrow brings.