Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Gerifalte

Dive watch opinion Sporasub vs Omer

I looking into the Sporasub SP1 http://www.sporasub.com/eng/sp1_eng.asp or the Omer OMR-1 http://www.omersub.com/eng/OMR1_eng.asp.

Do you guys have experience with either model?

I like that the OMR-1 has extra straps, but I am not sure of the reliability of the rechargeable battery.

Let me know what you would get!

PS: Posted this in the "other gear" section and I got crickets
Gerifalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
LookPointShoot

Re: Dive watch opinion Sporasub vs Omer

I've never used either but at this point I would recommend to anyone without a watch the Pyle Snorkelmaster.

I had one that lasted two years of heavy use and no care or maintenance besides a couple battery changes. The buttons froze up. One of my friends got one that was wonky right out of the box and he should've returned it immediately, but he ended up getting a year's use of his not working great before buying an Oceanic. And I have two buddies who have had theirs for 6+ seasons and they still work great. I think they actually rinse theirs off which I suspect is why their buttons haven't frozen.

All told, the average life of these 90 dollar watches is about 3 years of heavy diving, and considering you can buy three of them for the price of a "better watch," you better hope to get 9 years out of the "better watch," or you'd get more use out of 3 Pyles.

I put "better watch" in quotes because while the Sporasub and Omer watches are definitely better quality and should have better longevity and durability, the overall functionality of the Pyle watch is better than the Oceanic and I honestly wouldn't change anything about it. I think in terms of just utilitarian function, a working Pyle watch is as good or better than any other out there.

Which brings me to my last point: when I say "SHOULD have better longevity and durability," that's not a guarantee. My Oceanic F10 cost 3x the amount the Pyle did, and it's broken twice within a much shorter time frame. First time I sent it back for repairs which cost me.. something, I can't remember, and the second time... well it's still broken. Which is why at this point, I won't buy another fancy watch. I regret ever straying from the Pyle.

Hopefully someone will chime in who's used the Omer/Sporasub and the Pyle.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Xylophone

I got an Italian SP1 off ebay for cheap and it has worked great for me. I can't really comment on all of the features though because all I really use it for is surface intervals.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Gerifalte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
I've never used either but at this point I would recommend to anyone without a watch the Pyle Snorkelmaster.

I had one that lasted two years of heavy use and no care or maintenance besides a couple battery changes. The buttons froze up. One of my friends got one that was wonky right out of the box and he should've returned it immediately, but he ended up getting a year's use of his not working great before buying an Oceanic. And I have two buddies who have had theirs for 6+ seasons and they still work great. I think they actually rinse theirs off which I suspect is why their buttons haven't frozen.

All told, the average life of these 90 dollar watches is about 3 years of heavy diving, and considering you can buy three of them for the price of a "better watch," you better hope to get 9 years out of the "better watch," or you'd get more use out of 3 Pyles.

I put "better watch" in quotes because while the Sporasub and Omer watches are definitely better quality and should have better longevity and durability, the overall functionality of the Pyle watch is better than the Oceanic and I honestly wouldn't change anything about it. I think in terms of just utilitarian function, a working Pyle watch is as good or better than any other out there.

Which brings me to my last point: when I say "SHOULD have better longevity and durability," that's not a guarantee. My Oceanic F10 cost 3x the amount the Pyle did, and it's broken twice within a much shorter time frame. First time I sent it back for repairs which cost me.. something, I can't remember, and the second time... well it's still broken. Which is why at this point, I won't buy another fancy watch. I regret ever straying from the Pyle.

Hopefully someone will chime in who's used the Omer/Sporasub and the Pyle.

Thanks. I actually have a Pyle that has worked great for three years but in my last dive I got a memory fail message in dive mode. I tried a hard reset and still getting the error. I started shopping around for a "better" alternative and posted this question. Then today I discovered that the user manuals for the sp1, OMR-1 AND the Pyle are exactly the same!!! Now I'm wondering is all three are easy the same watch, but the Pyle just doesn't have surface time.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Gerifalte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylophone View Post
I got an Italian SP1 off ebay for cheap and it has worked great for me. I can't really comment on all of the features though because all I really use it for is surface intervals.
Thanks for your insights! That's the one feature the Pyle watch doesn't have
Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerifalte View Post
Thanks. I actually have a Pyle that has worked great for three years but in my last dive I got a memory fail message in dive mode. I tried a hard reset and still getting the error. I started shopping around for a "better" alternative and posted this question. Then today I discovered that the user manuals for the sp1, OMR-1 AND the Pyle are exactly the same!!! Now I'm wondering is all three are easy the same watch, but the Pyle just doesn't have surface time.
I believe Aqualung owns both companies, so they probably are the same watch. Personally I think surface time is the most important feature, that would probably be a deal breaker for me
Old 10-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Gerifalte

Quote:
I believe Aqualung owns both companies, so they probably are the same watch.

Very interesting, I didn't know!

For anyone interested, see the three manuals here. Crazy!

$400 Omer OMR-1 http://www.omersub.com/manuali/OMR1_...FR-ES_RAEE.pdf
$350 Sporasub SP1 http://www.sporasub.com/manuali/sp1.pdf
$80 Pyle http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PSNKW30...-(Orange-Color)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerifalte View Post
Thanks for your insights! That's the one feature the Pyle watch doesn't have
Quote:
I believe Aqualung owns both companies, so they probably are the same watch. Personally I think surface time is the most important feature, that would probably be a deal breaker for me
The digital clock and 60 second counter are for surface intervals
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
Xylophone

$170 Sp1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sporasub-SP...cAAOSwLX9a2VS2

Ebay from Italy with free shipping. Freedive stuff is way cheaper there, I think when I was searching for mine i found this seller's online store and they weren't authorized by Omer to sell them to the USA. Ebay is their workaround. I was kinda iffy ordering mine through here, but I'm on 3 years on mine and only thing I had to do was get the battery changed once.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
rysgates

Can't speak for the Omer but my good buddy who's an instructor and 65m diver uses the sporasub and he has no complaints about it. Looks like a nice computer to me, it's done great for many many dives and you can't beat the price.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
Gerifalte

Quote:
$170 Sp1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sporasub-SP...cAAOSwLX9a2VS2

Ebay from Italy with free shipping. Freedive stuff is way cheaper there, I think when I was searching for mine i found this seller's online store and they weren't authorized by Omer to sell them to the USA. Ebay is their workaround. I was kinda iffy ordering mine through here, but I'm on 3 years on mine and only thing I had to do was get the battery changed once.
Thanks! It's even cheaper here, 123 euros since they don't charge VAT http://megasub.com/index.php?route=p...roduct_id=1044

They're a very honest brick and mortar dive shop from Portugal. I have bought several items from them and they're great and i know from experience they honor warranty claims.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #12
Gerifalte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysgates View Post
Can't speak for the Omer but my good buddy who's an instructor and 65m diver uses the sporasub and he has no complaints about it. Looks like a nice computer to me, it's done great for many many dives and you can't beat the price.
Thanks for the info, sounds like he's getting great use out of it!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
NaturalSelecto

Pyle all the way. Sorry to deviate, but I believe Pyle uses the same computer as the omer, and the Pyle is half the price. And for surface intervals, just use the countdown.

I always get the cheapo extended warranty, and send the Pyle back within 15 months (because it will have broken by then likely). I'm on my 3rd warranty replacement watch. Just pay $15 shipping.
NaturalSelecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:37 AM   #14
kodama

For all the functions on my dive watch surface time is the most important of all!! I like the Cressi Drake and after researching most models out there this is the one that gives you most functionality for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
Gerifalte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
For all the functions on my dive watch surface time is the most important of all!! I like the Cressi Drake and after researching most models out there this is the one that gives you most functionality for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for chipping-in, Kodama.