Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #16
downdiver2
Popping Molly on a daily

Re: Riffe Euro 130 Vs RA 110 Accuracy Test (Target Practice) @ 8', 10', 12', 13' (PIC

You have too much time on your hands, nonetheless thanks for the report. I own both sizes.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
aussie

Re: Riffe Euro 130 Vs RA 110 Accuracy Test (Target Practice) @ 8', 10', 12', 13' (PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
You have too much time on your hands, nonetheless thanks for the report. I own both sizes.
It's called being an actor...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
sciencemike
MLPA ....

As for the right and left shooting. I found that it has to do with bracing as much as anything. If your right hand is on the handle and trigger. And your left hand in on the butt. You probably pull to the left (as I do). This is because as the gun recoils your rear left hand pushes right as much as forward. This is what happened with me and my guns. Learn to link up the wrist with your right forearm to stop the swivel in the butt of your gun to the right which makes you miss to the left. You can also make it do it more or less by bracing harder with your back hand. The harder you push with an unbraced back hand the more it will pull to the left.
sciencemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
Wedge

iv been waiting for this thread, since you posted that you were gonna do it. i really appreciate you sharing the info with us. good job
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #20
Ron S

Another possible cause of the RA shooting left...When I first started target shooting my RA 90, it consistently shot left. What I ultimately discovered was that the band pulled to the rear notch was pushing the shooting line under the left side of the shaft, between the shaft and the rail. This in turn bowed the shaft enough that you could see the deformity by sighting down the shaft. It was at it's worst with a single 3/4" band. Once I started clearing the mono from the rail/track, I no longer shot to the left.
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
iv been waiting for this thread, since you posted that you were gonna do it. i really appreciate you sharing the info with us. good job
Agreed.

I'm sure that a couple of hours of pool shooting would be worth a year of hunting for me in terms of learning to aim my guns. Unfortunately I'm in that slot- too poor to have a pool in my back yard, but rich enough so that I don't live in a condo complex with a pool.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
Ron S

Hey Tanc I forgot to ask, what diameter shaft is on the Riffe? I assume the RA had the standard 7mm shaft?
Thanks,
Ron.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Another possible cause of the RA shooting left...When I first started target shooting my RA 90, it consistently shot left. What I ultimately discovered was that the band pulled to the rear notch was pushing the shooting line under the left side of the shaft, between the shaft and the rail. This in turn bowed the shaft enough that you could see the deformity by sighting down the shaft. It was at it's worst with a single 3/4" band. Once I started clearing the mono from the rail/track, I no longer shot to the left.
Ron.
Both guns shot to the left which confirms it's me rather than the guns.

Quote:
I forgot to ask, what diameter shaft is on the Riffe? I assume the RA had the standard 7mm shaft?
Both guns also had 7.1mm shafts.

What's interesting is the Riffe 16mm rubbers are thicker than the 16's on the RA and other guns I've seen yet thinner that the 18mm band I have. I wonder where Rifffe gets there rubber from and what the actual thickness is. Anyone have a set of digi calipers?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #24
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencemike View Post
As for the right and left shooting. I found that it has to do with bracing as much as anything. If your right hand is on the handle and trigger. And your left hand in on the butt. You probably pull to the left (as I do). This is because as the gun recoils your rear left hand pushes right as much as forward. This is what happened with me and my guns. Learn to link up the wrist with your right forearm to stop the swivel in the butt of your gun to the right which makes you miss to the left. You can also make it do it more or less by bracing harder with your back hand. The harder you push with an unbraced back hand the more it will pull to the left.
I always shoot one-handed and I made sure I had a firm grip and a locked arm. In this particular case I used my left hand to hold onto the kettle bell.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #25
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Agreed.

I'm sure that a couple of hours of pool shooting would be worth a year of hunting for me in terms of learning to aim my guns. Unfortunately I'm in that slot- too poor to have a pool in my back yard, but rich enough so that I don't live in a condo complex with a pool.
That's what friends are for, Bill...

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
What's interesting is the Riffe 16mm rubbers are thicker than the 16's on the RA and other guns I've seen yet thinner that the 18mm band I have. I wonder where Rifffe gets there rubber from and what the actual thickness is. Anyone have a set of digi calipers?
I read somewhere that the rubber Riffe uses has a larger inside diameter than typical tubing, but I don't know if that's true or not. When I bought my little comp, I remember that the bands were pretty stout compared to the same diameter bands, if that means anything.
Ron.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
I read somewhere that the rubber Riffe uses has a larger inside diameter than typical tubing, but I don't know if that's true or not. When I bought my little comp, I remember that the bands were pretty stout compared to the same diameter bands, if that means anything.
Ron.
Whatever it is it works. I always thought rubber is rubber is rubber but I think with the particular gun I'll stick to the their bands. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
That's what friends are for, Bill...

I'll have to get some.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

I think riffe bands are a bit thicker.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
aussie

A pic of trying to take a shot at 14' It was pretty hard to balance my feet while sitting on the bottom so I gave up after two shots. Funny nevertheless...

Yes I have big feet. But you know what they say about big feet.

Big shoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1428 (1).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	160492