Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #151
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr
Re: Oregon spearfishing

https://www.facebook.com/groups/362344787266968/

for future ref for others
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #152
Rasamufasa

I moved up from San Diego and was wondering what size gun and wetsuit I should be looking into getting for the water up here.
Thanks.
Rasamufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #153
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasamufasa View Post
I moved up from San Diego and was wondering what size gun and wetsuit I should be looking into getting for the water up here.
Thanks.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/362344787266968/ is the place to ask. This forum is obsolete. Everyone left.

55cm with a rock tip,
7mm for winter
5mm for summer

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #154
padreschris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasamufasa View Post
Thanks.
I'm a Carlsbad transplant up here outside Eugene(2 years). I cut my teeth kayak fishing and diving off Ponto beach. I free dive Florence on a regular basis(crabbing and pole spearing). I currently still use my surf suit from down there 3/2 with a 1mm booster vest under and a hood. I'm good in 52 degree water as long as the sun is out for an hour or so. I really need to get a thicker suit!

I'm not on Facebook, so I can't see that forum.

-Chris
padreschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #155
North Star
Max

Hey Leigh - not everyone left. I'm still here!

As for the size of gun - an 80 - 90 cm is about right given the species of fish we have and the visibility we deal with. I use a Riffe Comp 0 and it is perfect.

As for wet suits, 7MM is standard if you want to stay out any length of time. Riffe makes good suits, Mako suits are probably the best value for the dollar, but what ever you get you want nylon on the outside and unlined on the inside for maximum warmth. You will need suit slip to get it on.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #156
Ryang85

I dive northern California which in the winter is similar condions ( bad vis and sub 50 degree water).
7mm open cell no doubt, i get cold after 4 hours at 48 degrees.

For a gun i use a chopped pathos 50 with a roller head.
In good vis i use a pathos 82. A rob allen is equaly effectice as pathos but stick with a decent quality pipe gun. The biggest mistake you can have in less than 5 foot of vis is have a oversize gun, better to overpower a short gun since blacks and lings tend to be point blank shots half the time. You dont need carbon barrel, there is no benefit on a small gun. You can pick up a pathos or rob allen for under 200 bucks on sale if you look around.
I build my own wood bluewater guns and still prefer a pipe gun over a wood gun for bad viz. Just my preference though.

Last edited by Ryang85; 05-26-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Ryang85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #157
Likedive808

Hello,

I just moved to Oregon City from Chincoteague Virginia. I've spent the last few years out on the East Coast, but am originally from Hawaii. I've been diving for quite a while, and have even taken one of those very informative FII courses. I'm comfortable in the water, and understand the dangers associated with spearfishing, cold water and currents. I'm looking to find some new dive buddies to teach me a little about the local species that are hunted for food and maybe a few good dishes to prepare them in.

P.M. me if you would like to meet up to talk story about free diving/ spearfishing, or you'd want to meet-up to go catch some tasty foods.

Thanks,

Alex.
Likedive808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #158
Ryang85

Welcome to the west coast.
Im moving from norcal to corvallis in August. ( transfering to oregon state)
I know the species well and hace hunted them for over 10 years, mainly lingcod,black rockfish, vermilion rockfish and cabzones. There are other but those are the best eating. You dont need to go to deep, generaly 50 feet down is plenty deep and ive found big lings in less than 10 feet of water. Get a good flashlight because 90% of the fish are in the very back of a cave hiding.
I havnt dove oregon very much, but vis generally sucks on the inshore reefs, im trying to find a place to store my kayak or zodiac so i can get offshore.
I dont know any of the oregon guys yet so i am always looking for future dive partners. Also the northwest pacific spearboard page on Facebook is a lot more active than here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ryang85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #159
Darmes
Dan

Hey Alex!
I'm in Oregon City! Well... I'm currently in Fort Bragg doing a freediving course, but I'll be back in town on Monday. Come by the shop and share some fish stories!
@the_oregon_freedive_co
oregonfreediving.com
freediveoregon@gmail.com
Darmes is offline   Reply With Quote