Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 06-23-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
btk92

Port O'Connor Trip

Too bad the Texas section on this board has no activity..... but since I've just had an awesome spearfishing trip (my first), I'll go ahead and post anyway.

Went out 40 miles Saturday (6/21) from Port O'Connor and did some rig diving in about 120 ft. of water. Did go much below 85' though, as we didn't wear any wetsuits and the water temp was very chilly below the thermocline. At about 60-70' feet there were abundant AJ's, and we ended up getting 3 nice ones. Also got the rest of our limit onboard with poles. Had a blast....

Got a good underwater pic of me with my first spearfishing trophy, which is attached.

Would love to hear from other hobbiests in Texas.

Trey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aj1.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2775  
btk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
joens

good to see another texan on the board .Thanks for posting a pic ..
Joens
Old 06-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
junior

I would think you guys would have a bunch more Texan spearfisherman. I'm surprised not more have found their way here yet. Nice job btk92.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:03 PM   #4
Texasscuba

Nice photos. I tried to go out twice this month, but the weather said "NO". Even got ran off from bank fishing last week by two water twisters. Won't have a chance until after I get back from Cozumel in August. And your right Junior It would be nice to see more Texans on the board. I live in SE Texas and so far spearing is not a big thing. Maybe with time that will change.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
btk92

The weather last Saturday was one of those days that comes around 1-2 times a year for offshore fishing. Seas 1-2 feet and mostly like glass. It was incredible.

The main reason we ended up 40 miles out was because every Yahoo with a bay boat was at the rigs 20 miles out.

We went back out on Sunday but only made it 8 miles out b/c seas had gotten considerably worse (3-5 ft).

Let's hope some more Texans get on here and we can stir up some activity.

BTK92
btk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
storms

Talking

This past Saturday was flat calm!!! We took off from Port A and hit the rigs out 35+ miles. Water was clear at most rigs. I had some pics scanned but they are too big to post here. Nice grouper (40 pound range at leat felt like it holding it up), three AJ's, few kings, one ling and two snapper. Wish all day's were calm like this past Saturday. One thing is for sure makes it easy to gear up without falling all over yourself.
storms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
rigdvr
Im a diver, not a thinker

yipes! Look out for that damned "salt water pirhana" cruising to your left! If you are new to the rig game you will learn about them soon enough
rigdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
Steel Shootin'

What is that long tubular thing going vertically up the right side of your face? I've never seen one of those before.
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
slipknot

I think it's one of those new saltwater desalinators, for when he wants a drink of water.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #10
grumpydog

Where in world do you guys get 120' at 40 miles? You must take a shovel with you.
We had to fight out 62 miles to hit 75'. Had a 13 degree thermocline at 50' though, so we had lots of snapper and amberjack. six of us loaded the boat, but didnt limit. First trip of the year and the sights were a little off.
How much do you guys pay for a trip in Pt o'conner? It may be worth the drive.
grumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #11
junior

Looking at that pic again, I'm wondering if that AJ was dead yet or if you received a bit of an ass whippin' right after that photo was snapped??
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #12
Mark Blanchette

Texas Divers

Hi Trey:
I'm another Texas diver. I usually go out of Sabine Pass to offshore LA. Port Aransas might be worth the drive, I live in Houston.
Could you describe the charters? Rig diving? How many rigs during a trip? Size of boat? Number of divers? etc.
The trips out of Sabine Pass have about 5 divers and we'll hit around 6 or more rigs. Usually 2 divers on a rig. Shooting snappers, AJ's and Ling.
We need to hear from the Texas divers to compare notes and make the best of our spear fishing / dive trips
Mark
Mark Blanchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:13 PM   #13
KJNDIVER
Mmm... taste like chicken

Send a message via AIM to KJNDIVER Send a message via MSN to KJNDIVER Send a message via Yahoo to KJNDIVER
Mark,

What areas do yall normally hit when heading toward LA waters? The WC blocks are my neck of the woods and was thinkin about heading west on next trip out to some High Island Blocks. There is a shipwreck out of Sabine Pass that I am curious about.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:31 PM   #14
LSUBigL

Send a message via AIM to LSUBigL
Texas divers,

I live in Houston, but I spearfish out of Venice, LA due to the fact that I only have a 17 foot McKee that is old and don't trust to go way offshore. I did take my bay boat out about 10 miles from the Galveston Jetties and found a small rig in 50 feet of water. We shot sheepshead because that was the only thing there. On the way back in, i started having engine problems about 3 miles after leaving the rig. The end result was that I had to idle in the last five miles. I think we made it back to the docks at 9:00. I'd love to do more diving out of Texas to save the 14 hour drive from Houston to Venice and back, but it costs about $175 - $200 to go on a charter trip from what I've heard. I can make a trip with my brother's boat in Venice for less money, but obviously 14 hours of driving is a lot of hassle.

To get to the point, I'm looking to find some people here in Houston that are divers and need other divers to share the cost. I'd be more than happy to return the favor with a dive trip to Louisiana. Or if anybody in the Houston area wants to get together and grab a beer and yack about spearfishing, I'm always game.

Thanks,
Lyon
LSUBigL is offline   Reply With Quote