Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
bward
+

Riffe Metal Tech Mach 5... reviews?

Does anyone have a review of this gun they would like to share?

Interested in possibly picking one up for bluewater/larger fish. Cam has great things to say about it but I wanted an "unbiased" opinion. They don't seem to carry the gun in Southern California shops so I can't get my hands on it before I order it. Looking for something with the same feel as a euro but with the power and stability to take down larger fish efficiently. Seems like this could be a good candidate.

For Cam's review & more pics: http://www.spearblog.com/2011/01/28/metal-tech-mach-5/
bward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Faisal

Re: Riffe Metal Tech Mach 5... reviews?

I got that gun, it's perfect underwater It shoots like a laser with literally no recoil. what more can you ask for. Only drawback is it's kind of bulky. But who cares when it shoots fish!

It's really a euro on steroids, made to shoot 8 mm shafts, with three 16 mm bands so if thats what you are looking for, go for it.
Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal View Post
I got that gun, it's perfect underwater It shoots like a laser with literally no recoil. what more can you ask for. Only drawback is it's kind of bulky. But who cares when it shoots fish!

It's really a euro on steroids, made to shoot 8 mm shafts, with three 16 mm bands so if thats what you are looking for, go for it.
How does the thing feel while swinging it under water or tracking fish? How's the buoyancy... neutral?

Thanks man!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

You dont swing a big euro...lol. You pull it close to you then extend it infront of the fish, so the fish swims in front of the gun.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Kraken
I am the sea

I was skeptical of the gun at first for many of the same reasons other people gave. I figured it would be heavy, bulky, and why would you need to bolt on wings just to make it shoot right. I couldnt have been more wrong. First off, its a bluewater gun, of coarse its gonna be big! But its far from bulky. I usually hold the gun midway while im breathing up and it surprising is easy to hold even with the wide wings. They kind of give a nice grip. i'll be honest, Ive shot alot of guns and done my fair share of "west coast bluewater" diving and alot of times its hard to switch from an every day gun to a big bluewater cannon. Its not something you shoot every day and there is generally an adjustment period. NOT WITH THIS GUN! I picked it up and blasted a 35lb permit the very first shot with it. It was just a comfortable gun. My buddy Steve did the exact same thing, picked it up and shot a cobia and a MONSTER AP with the first two shots! I dont know of any other 4 band bluewater cannon that you can easily shoot one handed. Its far from the most pleasing to the eye but ill be damned if its not one of the best cannons ive shot. Here are some pics of Cam and I to back it up. Not only has that exact gun killed some of his most memorable fish, its also brought down some of my best fish...Both on the reef and bluewater.

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv

Last edited by Kraken; 06-23-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
You dont swing a big euro...lol. You pull it close to you then extend it infront of the fish, so the fish swims in front of the gun.
Doesn't always work like that bud. Different scenarios call for different actions. Plus, this is not a "how to" thread. If you don't have experience with the Mach 5, don't post. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I'm at work now but ill write you up a good report when I get home. Bad.ass.gun.
Right on man, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Faisal

This gun is positively buoyant even with a reel, so it's a good freediving gun (most metal tech guns are negatively bouyant). As tuffstuff Said you better hold it with both hands while moving around and extend the gun when you intend to take aim, swinging is very manageable.
Faisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
almazing

Where do I get one of these and how much?
almazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_arrow View Post
I think that is standard technique with all guns, is it not?
not really. Only when the gun is very long, you hold it that way.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Brandon,

I know that you requested an unbiased review... but I'll give you my honest assessment, even given my affiliation w/ Riffe.

First of all, I prefer big guns to be midhandle. I'm going to have to agree w/ my buddy Richard Balta that euros and rear handles do sacrafice swinging ability when it comes to tracking fish w/ speed.

I've used that gun, before it got its wings. It kicks HARD without the wings with three hot bands loaded - so as Fiasal recommends, I'd keep both hands on it if you can. It swings great in the water - even though its part of the rear handle series. In a perfect world, I would prefer this gun as a midhandle for swinging and maneuvering - something for you to consider, depending on your target fish you are buying this gun for. Even for a small person like myself with limited upper body strength, its no problem to load or deal with. Overall, for a metal gun, it is not heavy and cumbersome.

Hell, I've even shot halibut w/ that gun. Its just a joy to shoot with on the reef and in open water especially. And I love that it floats. You will enjoy this gun for pelagics.

The wings will really reduce the recoil on that gun - you'll find it to be a smooth and fast hard punching gun w/ the Padauk wings. Compared to my Blue Water gun, which is so heavy that I dont even use a wt belt when I dive w/ it (in warm blue water), the Mach 5 gun is reasonably light yet has incredible punch.

Not sure what other large spearguns you have experience with, but I hope you get a chance to try this gun out.

I will enjoy reading the other reviews on this gun to see what you guys think. What you like/don't like.

My honest review, albiet slightly biased. Have fun w/ this gun,

K

PS - How does that song go?? "I will survive in my Mach 5, in my Mach 5... ~ Presidents"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	153708  
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsea View Post
Brandon,

I know that you requested an unbiased review... but I'll give you my honest assessment, even given my affiliation w/ Riffe.

First of all, I prefer big guns to be midhandle. I'm going to have to agree w/ my buddy Richard Balta that euros and rear handles do sacrafice swinging ability when it comes to tracking fish w/ speed.

I've used that gun, before it got its wings. It kicks HARD without the wings with three hot bands loaded - so as Fiasal recommends, I'd keep both hands on it if you can. It swings great in the water - even though its part of the rear handle series. In a perfect world, I would prefer this gun as a midhandle for swinging and maneuvering - something for you to consider, depending on your target fish you are buying this gun for. Even for a small person like myself with limited upper body strength, its no problem to load or deal with. Overall, for a metal gun, it is not heavy and cumbersome.

Hell, I've even shot halibut w/ that gun. Its just a joy to shoot with on the reef and in open water especially. And I love that it floats. You will enjoy this gun for pelagics.

The wings will really reduce the recoil on that gun - you'll find it to be a smooth and fast hard punching gun w/ the Padauk wings. Compared to my Blue Water gun, which is so heavy that I dont even use a wt belt when I dive w/ it (in warm blue water), the Mach 5 gun is reasonably light yet has incredible punch.

Not sure what other large spearguns you have experience with, but I hope you get a chance to try this gun out.

I will enjoy reading the other reviews on this gun to see what you guys think. What you like/don't like.

My honest review, albiet slightly biased. Have fun w/ this gun,

K

PS - How does that song go?? "I will survive in my Mach 5, in my Mach 5... ~ Presidents"
I've owned and used a variety of different large guns over the years from mid-handled Andre's, Wong's, and Riffe's to 130cm railguns & Riffe euro's and seem to do much better with rear handled guns as far as accuracy goes, hence my interest in the Mach 5 for bluewater. Seems it could be the right fit for me for larger species of fish (i.e. doggies, grouper, etc.) that can effectively shoot a 5/16 shaft with 3-4 5/8 bands loaded. Plus, the cost on the Mach 5 compared to other bluewater/larger fish guns is appealing.

Thanks again for your input Kelsey. It's always appreciated.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
bward
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by almazing View Post
Where do I get one of these and how much?
I've seen them online for around $640.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

I think the price is very good, and i'm sure it will do the job just fine. But that gun looks unappealing to me. Imo, any gun that requires you to bolt on wings just doesn't seem right to me. Bolting on wings to a gun seems like a project you do at home and not something you buy new.

my 2 cents...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
spearq8

Nice gun but heavy. The wings should be mandatory and not an accessory, as the gun is much better with the wings. Actually for some of the Metal Tech guns, you are probably better off doing your own wings by testing how much flotation you need ... the standard plastic wings that Riffe sells might not be enough. I have also tried the enclosed track rail change, but to be honest there was no perceivable difference in accuracy as with the thicker shafts, shaft whip is not a problem. One thing I love about the Metal Tech is how smooth the track is ... I mean silky smooth. I wish the Euro X Riffe guns had a cut out where you can slide in one of those tracks. It is definitively a very bulky and heavy gun to swim all day with, and I would prefer one of the Euro X's. But the longer Euro X's are a little under powered for open water long range shooting.

One thing for sure is you can't go wrong with ANY Riffe gun. Sure you might dislike something somewhere, but with a little tinkering they can easily be made perfect. I just put some 17.5mm bands on my Riffe 120X and hope to test it this week. Maybe it will give that extra little power to make the gun work well in open water.

EDIT: I just had the picture open and I now see that it has a big wing, so disregard the remark about the small plastic wing that I thought was the only option. It seems that they now sell those big wings that many of us were making on our own for the Metal Tech.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote