Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Watergator

Boat Repair Resources

I know that times are tough and many people are resorting back to doing their own repairs or learning to do them for the first time. I wanted to start this thread so that we could compile a list of resources with tips and how to on repairs that we do.

I have found youtube to be very helpful in the past and if you do a little bit of searching through videos, you can find some very informative stuff. If the first video you watch doesn't help, go back and watch another or 10 and I can guarantee that at least one will have a style/format that you like and you may get to see more than one way to do the job which is often very helpful.

The other thing I wanted to bring up is that when, not if, you have a part that you cant get back together, you can show up at your local boat mechanic and get some help. They are usually very helpful as long as you dont mind the ridicule that you get and possibly being called "Mr. Carburetor" the next time you go in there.

One last thing is to try to find a repair manual specific to your motor. They are often available on ebay and amazon even if the manufacturer has quit printing them.

Hope this helps and I am interested to see where other people are getting help with their repairs from.

~Tight lines, and smooth sailing
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: Boat Repair Resources

Excellent thread starter!! Thanx... I would add (in regards to the manuals) that you make certain you get the EXACT application or you will struggle. As an example, I have twin small block Fords I pulled out during my resotaration... these motors have something like 5-6 different firing orders, in addition to standard vs. reverse rotation. Done properly, you will not only save big money but also the pride in having done it yourself is immeasurable. Hope this helps...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: Boat Repair Resources

As a follow-up, my boat is back in the water after over 14 months of hard work!! Engines/transmissions out, rewired throughout, new electronics, new sanitation system, paint, updatd steering system, reinforced the decks and swim platform, , new canvas, thicker transom to support big dive buddies!! Supplies came from Ebay, West Marine, BOW, Surplus Unlimited. I'll post pics later on...