Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
popgun pete

Re: Rob Allen Carbon Fiber Barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
Ideally I would have bought the one you listed but the shipping would be horrendous and years back I had a replacement fin from AUS never leave customs. I like to imagine it will still show up one day. I’ve emailed a few of the distributors to see if they have a barrel or can get ahold of one. One interesting thing I’ve seen is that the AUS sites all state it uses a 7.5mm shaft and all the US use a 7mm.
Shafts are ammo, you can always replace a shaft and my storeroom is stacked with shafts as you can never have too many. Of course you cannot take them all on a trip, but you need at least one spare and ideally two. Sometimes the shaft gets lost and sometimes they get bent depending on what you hit with it and where.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Shafts are ammo, you can always replace a shaft and my storeroom is stacked with shafts as you can never have too many. Of course you cannot take them all on a trip, but you need at least one spare and ideally two. Sometimes the shaft gets lost and sometimes they get bent depending on what you hit with it and where.
Oh yea I know that I was just wondering why there was the discrepancy
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #18
popgun pete

Quote:
Oh yea I know that I was just wondering why there was the discrepancy
Heavier bodied fish maybe, one of my colleagues who runs dive charter trips in Oz told me many overseas visitors had to upgrade their gear for the local fish, with rollerguns having to be swapped out for 3 band guns which he carried on the boat as spares. Guys tried to reband their rollerguns, but too much fiddling around at sea and settled for using the boat's spare weapons. I usually have 8 mm shafts in my guns as 7 mm is too light, and 9 mm for some jobs as striking power is what you need to drive tips in deep, provided the gun has the horsepower to deliver the shaft.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-08-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #19
svivian

Does it have to be a rob Allen barrel? Or do you just prefer them over others you have researched?
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #20
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
Does it have to be a rob Allen barrel? Or do you just prefer them over others you have researched?
I would prefer a RA barrel since I’ve seen the money and effort they’ve put into the production of them.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #21
svivian

Quote:
I would prefer a RA barrel since I’ve seen the money and effort they’ve put into the production of them.
I gotcha. Nautilus makes what seems to be a decent barrel for a reasonable price. I ordered a carbon barrel from one breath diving in aus that left a bit to be desired but worked fine for a 90cm gun. My next build I will be ordering the carbon cuttlefish barrel from benthic ocean sports. Seems to be the best carbon barrel I can find easily accessible.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #22
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
I gotcha. Nautilus makes what seems to be a decent barrel for a reasonable price. I ordered a carbon barrel from one breath diving in aus that left a bit to be desired but worked fine for a 90cm gun. My next build I will be ordering the carbon cuttlefish barrel from benthic ocean sports. Seems to be the best carbon barrel I can find easily accessible.
Yea, the ones from Nautilus seem nice but don’t work for RA. It’s crazy how hard it’s been to give Rob Allen my money haha
Old 04-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #23
Rob Allen
Sponsor

Hi Jolinedaniel,

Has our distributor come back to you yet?
Re spear diameter and rollers. We found the 7mm is best with a 14mm band and the 7,5mm best with a 16mm band.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #24
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Hi Jolinedaniel,

Has our distributor come back to you yet?
Re spear diameter and rollers. We found the 7mm is best with a 14mm band and the 7,5mm best with a 16mm band.

They actually just did this morning. In talks as we speak. Thank you! That makes sense about the shaft diameter

Last edited by Jolinedaniel; 04-09-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #25
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

For anyone wondering the carbon barrels are special order and for a 110cm are 329 for black carbon and 429 for the custom painted ones
Old 04-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #26
popgun pete

Quote:
For anyone wondering the carbon barrels are special order and for a 110cm are 329 for black carbon and 429 for the custom painted ones
So the Aussie price was reasonable of 301 plus shipping for what was a painted barrel. Shipping would not be a lot on a bare barrel as it is a long skinny package and would most likely come in a tube as I have bought barrels that length.
https://www.divein2scuba.com/shipping-delivery.html

Evidently spelling is not their strong point!

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #27
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

[quote=popgun pete;2184951]So the Aussie price was reasonable of 301 plus shipping for what was a painted barrel. Shipping would not be a lot on a bare barrel as it is a long skinny package and would most likely come in a tube as I have bought barrels that length.

Yea, I guess it wasn't too crazy. The guys at Freedive Shop had a Rob Allen 110 carbon wahoo that they are taking apart and selling me the barrel from. Should be a sick gun when I get it!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #28
popgun pete

[quote=Jolinedaniel;2184968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
So the Aussie price was reasonable of 301 plus shipping for what was a painted barrel. Shipping would not be a lot on a bare barrel as it is a long skinny package and would most likely come in a tube as I have bought barrels that length.

Yea, I guess it wasn't too crazy. The guys at Freedive Shop had a Rob Allen 110 carbon wahoo that they are taking apart and selling me the barrel from. Should be a sick gun when I get it!
It would be interesting to know the weight difference in the barrels, the existing barrel you are replacing compared with your new carbon one. I have handled and used carbon fiber pipe guns (Rabitech), l but never weighed them to check the difference as the guns were different lengths. A simple check would be to dangle the barrels from the end hooks on a coat hanger and see the side to side balance if you do not have a weighing scale.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #29
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

[quote=popgun pete;2184970]
Quote:

It would be interesting to know the weight difference in the barrels, the existing barrel you are replacing compared with your new carbon one. I have handled and used carbon fiber pipe guns (Rabitech), l but never weighed them to check the difference as the guns were different lengths. A simple check would be to dangle the barrels from the end hooks on a coat hanger and see the side to side balance if you do not have a weighing scale.
ill let you know soon!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 AM   #30
Rob Allen
Sponsor

Hi Pete,
I have just weighed 2 x 1,4m plugged barrels.
The ali with sticker is 672.4 grams and the carbon air brushed is 409.2 grams.

The carbon is actually too light, so we add a small lead slug in the muzzle for standard guns. This changes the way the gun shoots massively. I can send you video of this if you are interested.

Another factor to consider is in destruction testing. The ali with flex 2 x as far as the carbon before it destructs. The carbon will only flex ½ the amount before it destructs but needs 2 x the load for this to happen.

These carbon barrels are made in house by pull-trusion method, not hand wrapped around a mandrel. This method causes the fibers to be in tension while curing with a very high fiber to epoxy ratio. We can pull up to 10 tons of tension.