Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #1
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

How To Avoid Blisters?

So, I could do with a bit of specific advice on how to avoid blisters from finning but first a little background.

I have a good combo of socks and foot pockets that I don't want to change but this still happens as I don't dive nor spear regularly but only on long vacations and I have such one coming up. I guess, I don't get to toughen up my skin as needed and tend to run into issues with skin coming off the top of my toes after a few days on each trip.
This can become a real issue in the tropics with the heat and humidity and 6-8h spent in the ocean each day - you never really heal and a benign thing like blisters easily end up infected.

So, any tricks? Maybe some long distance runners here know a few?
The only thing I can think of would be to tape up my toes with skin tape every morning.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
SEATUX

Re: How To Avoid Blisters?

Use a layer of tape on those areas that get irritated, you know, the cloth like medical tape on a row used for bandaging. It will stop the skin from being worn off.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Use a layer of tape on those areas that get irritated, you know, the cloth like medical tape on a row used for bandaging. It will stop the skin from being worn off.
Yeah, on my last trip, I did use some of that white, paper like tape and I think it bought me quite a few blister-free days but didn't offer full protection - I think mostly because it doesn't stay put once wet.
After I posted the above, I started researching a bit more and a lot of long distance runners seem to use kinesiology tape. Supposedly it sticks better to skin and some of them might be better when wet, too.
I will be picking some up tomorrow and report back here in a few weeks
Old 01-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
SEATUX

Sorry, I wasn't referring to the paper kind of tape, but rather the cloth reinforced stuff. It's Much tougher and has Way more staying power, you will be sold!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Ok. So, I guess you are talking about that flexible sports tape (kinesiology stuff) that I've been reading about, too:-)

Good thing, as I picked up two rolls of it and I have a bunch of the white paper/skin tape, too:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #6
jfjf

have you ever tried wearing a thin nylon dress sock under the dive booty? That has helped me in the past.

Similar to why we wear socks under our shoes.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
have you ever tried wearing a thin nylon dress sock under the dive booty? That has helped me in the past.

Similar to why we wear socks under our shoes.

That might work, too. I've never used it for diving but did do a season skiing in some very tight form fitted boots with only nylon socks. Though form fitted there were still some spots that rubbed but the nylons did help. I guess them being smooth lowers the friction on the skin a whole lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Timinator

You can try moleskin, then use the athletic tape over it to reinforce the stick. Usually all I need is the athletic tape, changed daily.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

You could check out finger or toe cots, available at Amazon, Walmart, etc.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Madholly-Sili...words=toe+cots

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
Marco

Try to get Leukoplast waterproof tape. It works wonders and stays there the whole day.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
Mikel_24

Not in a diving environment but wet anyways... I usually tape my heels whenever I am going to use a pair of climbing boots for the first time. Or even if using well broken in boots IF it is going to be a multyday climbg... as insurance, you know.

I have always used LEUKOTAPE cloth reinforced tape. Fully covered in glue (carefull because there are some products which only have a few thin lines of glue, you don't want that).

Once put in, sweated and dried a few times... it will only come off with a torch! I promise!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #12
Behslayer

Some Fin Pockets are Comfortable and don't blister you up so bad. I really liked the performance of the Pathos Finpockets with my Carbon blades, but those things gave me blisters which lasted for months. Some friends wear them without socks, but for me, those didn't fit my feet right. Other finpockets I use I just use my Finsocks and I never blister. But if I'm ever going for a real long hard dive, I try to remember to tape up first.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Some Fin Pockets are Comfortable and don't blister you up so bad. I really liked the performance of the Pathos Finpockets with my Carbon blades, but those things gave me blisters which lasted for months. Some friends wear them without socks, but for me, those didn't fit my feet right. Other finpockets I use I just use my Finsocks and I never blister. But if I'm ever going for a real long hard dive, I try to remember to tape up first.
Hi Jon,

Bring water to boil in the largest pot you have, then turn off the heat and leave the footpockets in for 5 minutes. Then, wear them with your socks till they're cold. Makes a huge difference with the Pathos.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Hi Jon,

Bring water to boil in the largest pot you have, then turn off the heat and leave the footpockets in for 5 minutes. Then, wear them with your socks till they're cold. Makes a huge difference with the Pathos.
Agreed...makes a huge difference with all makes of fins...but it is not a cure all. Even molded to fit fins can cause blisters.

But I agree...a GREAT piece of advice!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
popgun pete

There used to be very thin neoprene fin socks that you could wear with full foot fins, but they were never very durable as they were easily torn even though they were one sided nylon for reinforcing. Also Wenoka when they had their Reeflex fin provided fin socks that were made for anti-toe and ankle chafing. I used to have foot trouble with hours in the water until I changed to hard sole dive boots and heavy open heel spring strap fins to offset the buoyancy of the boots. The spring heel straps automatically snug up your fins when you dive deep so the fins don't wobble on your feet/boots.

Rubber can be rather grippy, think of a pencil eraser, but maybe a slick finish treatment in the foot pocket may help with a Teflon spray coating. In the old days when fins were actual rubber divers often worked over high points and ridges in the moldings with "wet and dry” paper. They put something in the foot pocket to mark the high spots, same as using carbon paper to track rubbing points by leaving marks where the stuff presses on a plain sheet of paper underneath.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-01-2019 at 04:00 AM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote