Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
Josec84

Gulf coast gun length selection

Was wondering what the more seasoned guys have in terms of gun length selection with multiple guns?

I mostly shoot in the Gulf of Mexico out of Tampa for grouper/snapper with the occasional cobia/Aj/kingfish when encountered. Depths are anything from 20-100 ft although most of my shooting happens between 40-80ft. Most of my diving is on tanks but have been free diving more frequently lately than I have in previous years.

I have been spearfishing for the past 8 years but only 4-6 times per year. This past year I have gone a lot, and with the increased frequency, I feel that it would justify getting an additional gun.

Currently I have a creasi 100 cm Geronimo 2 which I converted to a roller gun.It was more of an experiment than anything else to see if I liked roller guns (I found out that I don't like them, I LOVE THEM).

So my thought has been to cut down my cressi to a 75 cm closed muzzle gun, buy a proper 100 cm roller gun with a second stage and set it up as a slip tip. Acquire a traditional band gun 100cm with a magnetic muzzle that I can quickly reload/Freeshaft when thick in hogfish as I have been going on dives that are loaded with hogs.

I understand that I am by no means an expert, many people here are far more experienced and have been doing this far longer than I have. I don't want to reinvent the wheel and burn money doing it so I am really interested what you guys have to say for the multi gun setup.

This is a long term plan. It's going to take me a while to save up for a proper roller gun but am ready add gun number 2 to the arsenal. I've always wanted a wood gun andI was thinking about a Riffe Euro X as the traditional band gun. I will not cut my cressi down until I buy my rollergun.

So my long winded question for the guys that have been shooting the gulf coast for a while: what is your ideal multi gun setup and why?
Josec84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
sharpshooter

Re: Gulf coast gun length selection

From the 38 years of spearing in the GOM. I would say "something" like a Billler 54 or Rhino RX5 or Battle Axe 55. Hunted with a Biller 48 for many years and got lots of fish. The Biller 48 would be the min. length. Could of got more with a little longer gun for additional range. A gun that can go from free shaft to line shaft fairly quick for AJ/Cobia. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
grey2112

I've used 48, 42, 54, 60 and 36 inch guns. All around I think a 48 inch for a "only" gun is hard to beat. But my two go-to guns now depending on what I'm hunting are my 60" and 36" Hammer guns - most of the time I only need 1 band pulled back. Lately my 36" gun for "dirty water" low viz and culvert/artificial reef shooting is the bomb.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
TBSC2015
Reload,Shoot,Reload,shoot

Use the length of gun for the distance and power you want for the fish you are shooting. longest gun for farthest distances, shortest for closest distances. But keep in mind with the size of fish you are shooting.
A shaft is a shaft, shot placement is everything, length is for distance and thrust penetration.
If youre making 20' shots, get the longest gun you can pull.
"How far do I want to shoot, and how big will it be today?" is what I ask myself when I go to setup band lengths, shafts, lines, etc.

Last edited by TBSC2015; 12-24-2016 at 04:45 PM.
TBSC2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
AaronC
Sponsor

I have shot all kinds of guns, regular and roller. Now when I go out in the gulf freediving, the only gun I shoot is my 110 roller. I can hit fish at a pretty good distance, and it's still a short gun for the lower viz days. Mine is a single stage Rob Allen. I've since takent this gun all over place and shot fish in North Carolina, the Keys, and other parts of the state. It is 100% my go to gun now. I have a gun waiting for me at Neptonics that's a 130 R.A. Roller with a kicker band for blue water. Unless I'm going out for Wahoo, that gun will stay at home, the 110 is plenty for me.

Good Luck!

F.I.I Certified Freedive Level 1 Instructor offering courses in the Tampa Bay area. Private courses also available upon request.
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
dkay

I've used a Riffe 110 Euro X for years and love it. It was a great gun for scuba and when I wanted to use it for freediving I'd just clip a float line to it. I recently attached a reel to it and now only use it for freediving. I've found that guns in the 110cm range are a good versatile length for most reef species in the GOM.
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josec84 View Post
..... what is your ideal multi gun setup and why?
A short one (36" american size) for low vis, and a long one (60" american size) for normal conditions.

In short vis, I can hear/feel the big gags spooking right in front of me as my gun emerges from the murk just before I do.

In long vis, I can see the big gags spooking just before I approach within the range of my "all-around" 48" gun....

Last edited by Tyson Brown; 12-27-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

60" and a 36-42" is a good combo if you can afford 2 guns.

Otherwise, a wooden 55" midhandle can be converted easily between freeshafting and Freediving with a reel.

C