Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #151
carrasco

Re: Some Thoughts on Financial Survival

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewazzz View Post
Not me, pretty sure my ex wife committed tax fraud and claimed our 3 kids (I have full custody). So i had to file by mail... but with all this COVID stuff, the IRS isn't processing mail in taxes at this time.
Last I heard, you can only claim 2 kids. She should take 1 and you, the other two.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #152
Bob Ballew

One last bit of advice: If you apply and get turned down..DO NOT GIVE UP...The last recession, we had to apply 3 times at different lenders before getting a refi, despite a good FICO score and excellent record of payments....Banks have no choice, but, to tighten up requirements as money drains away, since the gov. is allowing people to quit making payments on loans without penalty...
...If enough people quit making payments, the banks will go under...nothing personal..just trying to read a christal ball and pick honorable people that will honor their commitment.. When experts like Warren Buffett lose 18 billion in one month!..all rules are upside down and it is survival of the fittest (and, fastest)...best of luck..
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:20 AM   #153
PigStikr
The Stalker

OK some early results:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
p.s. I just put in a buy order for Ford at $4.75 Next, is a refi to pull out cash to cover us while the economy is in tatters...Followed by investing in things that will increase in value over time. Plan well and you will come out ok. Just don't waste your time on people who are negative. That is always counter-productive....
F now $7.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
Hey Bob,
What do you think of Boeing BA? They took a huge hit when the 737 MAX went south, and it still doesn't look like a quick fix. Also, obviously, nobody is going to be buying commercial aircraft with the fleet mothballed. That doesn't look to change anytime soon. On the other hand, the freeze on sales gives them time to fix the MAX and compete with it once things pick up. Also, they have a huge military business, I don't know what percent though. They were almost $400 a year ago and below $100 last month. I can't see any administration abandoning them. $144 today seems a bit high tho...
BA now $206
ERJ was looking at 6, now 7.58
Old 06-06-2020, 02:40 PM   #154
North Star
Max

Given the fact that the market is now only 6% off of its pre-covid19 highs, it might be illuminating to re-visit the first 44 posts in this thread. Clearly, some folks fear-driven predictions of the Apocalypse were a little overblown.

Of course, now that we have moved on from covid to looting and arson and violence and killing there is a new reason to think the end of the world is upon us and the market will tank.

It is amazing how badly the left wants to destroy America, but that is a bigger task than they realize. Soon this too will pass. An economy like ours is a hard thing to kill, and those who bet against it always get burned in the long run.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #155
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

There are no free markets anymore. The Fed Reserve is propping up all equities with trillions out of thin air. It's artificial. They'll turn off the spigot one day and it will all come crashing down...worse than the great depression. It's their end game...boom/busts...profit off of it. They are private banks after all...parasites on humanity.
Technical analysis of markets used to be valid. Those books I read to learn it are no longer useful. The Fed has perverted the market that bad. Hedge funds are going broke left n right due to this. Tried and true rules are no longer valid over the long run.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:15 AM   #156
sidewazzz

I ended up buying some of Nikola shares at $43 GAWD i wish i would have purchased way more. up to $89.35 today.

at the end of the day in 2 weeks I've doubled my initial investment of $500. Honestly thought the market would tank more into the end of the month and not bounce back the way it has.
sidewazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #157
Bob Ballew

As all can see by now, there is little logic to what investors do...a little good news, they buy despite the increase in virus cases nationwide...it goes up, then, the day traders sell, taking a small profit and the stocks drop..best advice I can offer is to dollar cost average...buy some when it looks good, hold,,, buy some more when it looks feasible...even if it goes up and down, you will still make money as the markets recover over time...I assume I will have to hold a year or two to make any real money on each stock...Then, comes the decision on when to sell and make a cash profit...That is the hard part...When stocks double or triple, I usually sell and look for another opportunity. On Ford, I am up about a thousand so far...and will probably buy more, even if it costs more per share...cost averaging over time is profitable in most cases...
...For those who don't want to track stocks and use up their time, investing in an index fund with low management costs, is the way to go..You are investing in a pool with others and your small amount combined with others, can buy lots of stocks...the negative is if the managers pick wrong, you are stuck with the bad stocks, as well as the good. For that reason, I pick my own stocks on an individual basis and do my own research...so far, so good!...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 06-09-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #158
Narced_up

Wrong!

Everybody knows you gotta buy high and sell low!

Come on RCL, keep climbing
Narced_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #159
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narced_up View Post
Wrong!

Everybody knows you gotta buy high and sell low!

Come on RCL, keep climbing
Even now I can't believe RCL is doing so well. I would have called that a horrible bet.
The airlines MUST fly, but cruise ships? I would have never thought!

Old 06-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #160
PigStikr
The Stalker

Cruise ships are just floating cesspools. Recently, norovirus outbreaks occurred on 10 RCL ships due to Chinese raspberries. 'further investigation revealed that the cruise line had purchased nearly 22,000 pounds of frozen raspberries from a single supplier in China beginning in June 2019. The findings led the World Health Organization to issue a recall for the frozen raspberries in November 2019.

On another fun cruise, passengers were forced to sleep on deck, with fist fights over food as sewage ran down the walls and soaked carpets:

Sewage Running down Walls and Soaking Carpets

'with passengers asked to defecate in plastic bags and urinate in showers due to their being only five working toilets between 4,200 people.'

Are we having fun yet?
Old 06-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #161
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Well, my mom did teach me to avoid discussions of politics and religion...I should have listened...
What?

That's all you do!

If you give that up, you might have to go back to diving.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #162
Bob Ballew

Hey, whadadywant? I yam just a sad, little man who is probably senile...and, who is preparing to double-down on stocks tomorrow if things continue to go downhill...It's the American way! Rah, rah, Calle-forn-ya....p.s. let me know when the vis gets better than 8'.....The Parker gas tank is full and with a 95% unemployment rate in Avalon, they could use a little of our cash at present...
Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #163
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I've been trying to get properly positioned into precious metal miners.
And we have a winner.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #164
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
And we have a winner.
Don't jinx me, bro! Not a winner until I sell at the right point. PM's have been on a tear. The unfortunate thing is that PM's are really only reflecting the loss of dollar value at the moment. Beats a sharp stick in the eye though.
PM miners performance sucked today in the face of continued rise of gold/silver spot price. I think it's due to non-believers and expect a surrender to FOMO (Fear of missing out) eventually. Not for the faint of heart. TGB is one of my higher risk darlings at the moment, along with NAK when the ROD is about to come forth. Much less risky WPM has served me very well as a long time hold.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 08-07-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #165
North Star
Max

Stocks hit record high, eclipsing pre-coronavirus peaks

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...ks-aug-18-2020

Recall the first 44 posts in this thread. My comments aged well. Others, not so much.

Are you there, Lompoc Local?