Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #46
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

6: Booster trigger installed in new gun.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-20-2016 at 03:00 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #47
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
With the glove, it will leave a lot larger ridges and bumps that need more smoothing out. I can use my bare hand and just have to worry about small ridges and basic finger prints, just rub your finger lightly over it when its malleable and Itll smooth right out
Ah, gotcha! Absolutely right, I had those ridges to deal with last time, good point.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #48
Behslayer

Ayyyy Tony, if you are going to be removing that ET anyways, this could be a great opportunity for testing out the effects of the ET on Accuracy and Range on the same gun. same configuration. same shooter, same target and distance? Maybe you could do us all a favor and do a before and after pool test? I goes you would be able to show how much range is effected by showing penetration at the same distance.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #49
Marco

You will absolutely need a cone with those floppers. I have never seen bulkier than those...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #50
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Ayyyy Tony, if you are going to be removing that ET anyways, this could be a great opportunity for testing out the effects of the ET on Accuracy and Range on the same gun. same configuration. same shooter, same target and distance? Maybe you could do us all a favor and do a before and after pool test? I goes you would be able to show how much range is effected by showing penetration at the same distance.
While that is a good idea, I think that is an entirely different thread/porject all together. I will however, open the track up for a 7.5 mm spear today and then see how it shoots with an open track.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #51
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
You will absolutely need a cone with those floppers. I have never seen bulkier than those...
All things considered, they are actually just a smidge less then a riffe spear. Except they are roughly 29x's better...GR Tarr sells some of my favorite spears, Red Tide is a well oiled machine.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #52
jstiver09

Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

I have some the exact same Red tide double flopper shafts 8mm. Razor sharp, very nice shark fins...but Marco is right, the floppers do stick out A LOT. I will test them in the pool this week. I am guessing they will not perform great accuracy or penetration wise but certainly would inflict major damage to a fish. I could be wrong. I wish GR had a slightly tighter fitting flopper which would make those shafts perfect. Anyway, back to the thread...gun is looking good

Edit: the cones will most likely make them shoot much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #53
kwtony
Snorkel Master

7: Open Track...its pretty rough and needs some cleaning up, but shes def and open track now. Thats an 8mm spear sitting in there...

Will spend more time on it tomorrow.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-21-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #54
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
but I am guessing this post is by the same person who posted the following on my youtube channel that also had me scratching my head ...

Ridiculous ! my advise is for you to convert yr pool in a sea water pool and load some live fishes in there ! another advice is to become a good spearo before to " bla bla bla " some advices on how to and what are the mods needed on guns to accuratly shot .
Ridiculous ! ha ha ha !

.. or that he thinks my spearfishing skills need improving? .
yes same person , i am not upset at all !

and yes you ve understood what i am thinking when watching some yr spearfishing videos , but i might be wrong ? ha ha!
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #55
kwtony
Snorkel Master

So my grinder battery is dead, my belt sander belt is toast....so what does any sane person do....take a small hand file and finish the job. Sweet baby jesus, this gun is going to be insane....The 7.5 and 8mm spear sit ohh so perfectly in the track too. Should have waited till i was done to do the handle, its banged up. No worries, 2 minuets with some hot water and ill be good to go.

Ill give a more detailed write up later.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #56
eckartbenk

How do you keep the Polymorph from cracking?

eckartbenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #57
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
yes same person , i am not upset at all !

and yes you ve understood what i am thinking when watching some yr spearfishing videos , but i might be wrong ? ha ha!

Ok then ... I am sorry and I will work hard to improve my "spearing way" to keep you happy. I guess if you shoot fish in a place where there are a lot of fish and you get close enough to a fish that you can pet them ... you start to feel like you are a spearing way God. For a while I just thought that you were upset that I was pointing out some things in Pathos guns that I was being critical of ... you know ... since you are a dealer for Pathos and stuff. Anyway back to the thread since this thread is not about spearing way but rather about modding a Pathos Sniper.

Track: A few years ago I wouldn't touch a speargun that did not have an ET ... today it is the opposite. I did extensive testing with and without ET and there is a good reason I won't touch an ET gun again. I do have footage of both accuracy and penetration ... I just need to pull it out and put it together. Accuracy was the same ... but shaft velocity was brutalized. Also ... it was always hard to predict how much shaft velocity would be affected ... in one day the velocity loss would be acceptable ... yet the same gun and the same bands on another day ... the shaft would come out like slow motion. All it takes is a slight bend in the shaft or a micro warp in the track ... or even an ambient temperature change. Not something you want to deal with and it completely turned me off ET guns. Of course there are situations where someone would want an ET for a special type of spearfishing ... but if I would build an ET gun, I would make sure it was as loose as I could possibly get away with.

Cones ... if you make a fist and push the shaft through it and flopper ... it should not snag ... if it does the flopper is not recessed enough and the shaft will benefit from a cone. A cone improves accuracy and penetration. I had to have a laugh when I saw all those shafts with cones ... lol ... that is even worse than me !!!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:26 AM   #58
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckartbenk View Post
How do you keep the Polymorph from cracking?

Ive made dozens of handles and never once had an issue with one cracking. Ive beaten, pounded, drilled, even used polymoprh as a hammer before and never cracked one...

Last edited by kwtony; 12-21-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #59
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I had to have a laugh when I saw all those shafts with cones ... lol ... that is even worse than me !!!
I had a good laugh as well....laughin with aaaaaall these dead fish with holes I have trouble finding.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 AM   #60
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I had a good laugh as well....laughin with aaaaaall these dead fish with holes I have trouble finding.
True that ... I wonder why speargun manufacturers don't realize how much an improvement a $.30 cone can have on the final performance of the speargun they are selling. It makes accuracy better ... velocity is better ... penetration is better ... less possibility of damage to the flopper pin ... glued on properly it actually supports the flopper and makes it stronger. I don't get it ??!!! I actually prefer a cone over a recessed flopper as it keeps the tip much stronger. With recessed floppers you need to shave off metal on the tip ... which makes the tip very weak and prone to bending.

I see that you tie your line at the back of the shaft ... I find that causes the shaft to do a wheelie at extended ranges causing poor penetration and high impact. It looks like you don't have a rest tab on the shaft ... but if this is not a carbon shaft, you could drill a hole in the back fin and set your loop so it doesn't interfere when you load a wishbone on the front pin. I think you will find that you get better accuracy that way. If this is a carbon shaft then forget it as you can't drill into that without compromising the corrosion resistant coating.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote