Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #46
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Re: Catalina Great White Shark attack caught on video!!!

tailsurfer why did you delete your abalone thread?
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #47
CaptainLeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oak View Post
Lol I never said they weren't parasites Leo, there are a million different type of copepods but there are even more types of parasites, parasite is a generic term. This particular one is a parasitic copepod, a lot of them are species specific and you'll find them on specific areas of the fish, i.e. gills, fins, between scales etc. I believe there are even copepods that you find internally like on the heart, etc. The only reason I know is because we've got a copepod ph.d who is always bugging me for samples. I do a small amount of work with pelagic and benthic copepods for larval fish food, the type I work with are not parasitic.

I showed this vid to one of the shark guys and he said he was unsure but thought it was a mako due to the shape of the head. Whatever it scares the shit out of me. I think that big one that they had at redondo had part of a sea lion inside it as well.
Seriously? You can't just let me have this one? I knew they looked just like the ones you see crawling around the skin of a lot of fish, just with longer "tails". Well, I'm saying mako and not backing down one bit. It's probably the same one they videotaped from the Trueline last year eating that sealion. They do tend to give me the creeps when I think about them being there.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #48
Chris Oak
the ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLeo View Post
Seriously? You can't just let me have this one? I knew they looked just like the ones you see crawling around the skin of a lot of fish, just with longer "tails". Well, I'm saying mako and not backing down one bit. It's probably the same one they videotaped from the Trueline last year eating that sealion. They do tend to give me the creeps when I think about them being there.
Okay you win Leo, it's in my face . I agree, it looked ALOT like the same footage from the Truline video which also gave me the whillies.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #49
tailsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediver17 View Post
I work with sharks. It is definitly a mako. You can tell based on the shape of the snout as well as the placement and shape of the dorsal fin. The snout is very pointy, just like a mako's. The dorsal fin is closer to the pectoral fins than on the great white. Also the shape of the fin. The mako has a a straight fin while the great white has a very curved dorsal fin. Definitly a shortfin mako.

Well then that is one scary ass Mako.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #50
CaptainLeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oak View Post
Okay you win Leo, it's in my face . I agree, it looked ALOT like the same footage from the Truline video which also gave me the whillies.
I finally get to use this!
YES! In the face - YouTubeAnd I still think it would be a little scary to see a huge shark like that destroying a sea lion. No matter how much I want those things eradicated.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #51
tailsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
tailsurfer why did you delete your abalone thread?
The Mods did, I'll have it back up soon... some video should be up by tonight.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #52
Bob Ballew

Typical west end action...that is why the hair always stands up on my neck when diving bluewater outside the point....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #53
Sean E
Is it paddy time yet?

I had this video in the back of my mind today every time I reached the outside edge of the kelp and the ledge dropped off real steep into the blue... No monster hungry makos seen over there today though. Wooo
Sean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #54
DrySack

Hi J.B! Thanks for posting the vid's.

I had fun reading the comments. And also glad to see I'm not the only one who wasn't 100% sure if it was a GW or Mako, even after 30 years on the water and even though I was close enough to touch it when it was biting my bait receiver.

Like one poster said, "it is very hard to tell at that size".

The video I shot last week was almost EXACTLY where the Truline footage was shot last year and THAT (Truline) shark is clearly a big mako.
Same shark? Who knows?

A little more back story: It was Saturday, August 20th, 2011. I made three dives that day. One directly inside of the attack area, but way in by the kelp line. I also dove Eagle rock and another one tight to the kelp inside Eagle Rock. I didn't have my gun with me that day, as I was targeting something that doesn't swim. There were 4 or 5 spearo's in a Grady White also diving the kelp line just to the west of where the attack occurred. The last guy was just getting out of the water when the shark hit the sea lion for the first time about 100' behind my boat. I was putting away my gear when the shark hit for the first time. It did not attack from the surface. It came rocketing out of the water with the sea lion in its mouth and then turned and took another 20# bite out of the sea lion. The video (part 1) shows the third strike.

The way it hit reminded me of that footage you see from South Africa of the GW's breaching on sea lions. Also, the huge circular bites (missing chunks of meat) that I saw made me think GW too. I always thought Mako teeth were made for grabbing and shaking, but I guess when they get that size they can bite clean through a medium sized sea lion like the ones in West Cove. I was also influenced by the lack of copepods, but I guess when a Mako gets that size even copepods are afraid of them.

Aussie: I know it is common place these days to swim with big sharks, but I am confident that in this instance a diver would have been bitten. The shark was (obviously) exhibiting very aggressive posture and was (obviously) hunting. I think the only reason it didn't get the second sea lion was, it had lost the element of surprise and it was slowed down (a bit) by the 50 or 60 pounds of meat already in its belly. A human can't swim like a sea lion and would have been bitten for sure. I would like to see a video of you trying though...

I did jump in the water at the same spot later that night to try and ward off the jitters or "jump back on the horse", so to speak. But I was in for less than a minute.

Anyhow, it would seem that this type of attack by this size shark is a pretty common occurrence. It has to happen a 1000 times more when no humans or video cameras are there to witness it. I was laughing when I went to post my stuff on YouTube and there were already 5 other videos of the same thing at almost the same spot. I thought I had one-of-a-kind footage...
DrySack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #55
tailsurfer

Nice Marc... What were you diving for? scallops? bug scouting?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #56
Bob Ballew

Around the corner at Parsons, a female scuba diver got some great video footage of a big great white coming straight at her camera..she kept filiming...that is the kind of gal you want at your back!
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 AM   #57
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Nice footage.

Looks like a huge Mako to me.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #58
turtle714
IDGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Around the corner at Parsons, a female scuba diver got some great video footage of a big great white coming straight at her camera..she kept filiming...that is the kind of gal you want at your back!
Where's this footage at? please tell me she put it on youtube or vimeo.
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
AquaHunter
Ray Ayus, Jr.

(Flashback) Bad memories, glad the GWS gave me a chance to see her before the attack, I do know you usually don't expect seeing a GWS until after the first attack. Definitely a big Mako!

Mercruiser, Evinrude, Crusader, Johnson, Volvo Penta, Mercury, OMC, Mariner, Force, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Nissan, Tohatsu, Yanmar, PWC, and Jet drive are my specialty. For mobile service, e-mail me at RayAyusJr@yahoo.com or text me at 619-756-0972

Speardeals
AquaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #60
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Sharks?!? In the ocean?!? Surely you jest. They are land based animals.

at least that's what I tell myself when I'm swimming around here.