Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Mana'squal

Alaska

I'm going to be fishing for Halibut in AK this August. I'm obviously not going to pass on the opportunity to spearfish. Anyone done it? Water temp is reportedly 58 degrees that time of year and I'm used to that temp.

Anything to watch out for?

What to target?

any feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Diesel1

Re: Alaska

Do your research on where you are going to be spearing well in advance, or pick a guide who does spearing charters. 60m depths are quite common all the way up to the shore.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Mana'squal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	241303

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Mana'squal

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	241304

Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Mana'squal

I’m going to be staying at the Green Rocks lodge in Petersburg.

Looks like the shore would be something I could drift at slack tides before the drop off in the channel but I’m completely speculating here.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

The owner of Bamboo reef dive center in monterey CA did it. He showed me a picture of a lingcod he shot thats mouth was wide enough to easily swallow a full grown man.

Said there was an absurd amount of trophy fish.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	241312He showed me a picture of a lingcod he shot thats mouth was wide enough to easily swallow a full grown man.

Said there was an absurd amount of trophy fish.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #8
sixguns79

Far out man, that should be a good trip. Your 5mm suit oughta be fine in August, I dive a Mako 3mm bottom and 5mm top from mid spring through summer in Ketchikan. Visibility can get pretty bad at the height of summer, so be ready to take quick shots in the murk. I’ve speared everything from rockfish to a 100lb halibut with Rob Allen railguns in 70cm and 80cm. If you dive near freshwater drainages with a salmon return you may get a shot at salmon, just make sure you are spearing them well into the salt, no freshwater spearing is allowed. If you want to try for halibut, working with your charter may be your best bet. The big halibut I speared was after about 7 years of diving up here, and was a chance encounter when I was going to check out a deep wall on scuba with my buddy. Rockfish really like big boulders, so look for those when you are scoping out terrain to hunt. If they are there, odds are there will be good lings too. You can also chase Dungeness crab around the river mouths when you are freediving for the salmon. Good luck, and hit me up with any questions you come up with.
sixguns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixguns79 View Post
Far out man, that should be a good trip. Your 5mm suit oughta be fine in August, I dive a Mako 3mm bottom and 5mm top from mid spring through summer in Ketchikan. Visibility can get pretty bad at the height of summer, so be ready to take quick shots in the murk. I’ve speared everything from rockfish to a 100lb halibut with Rob Allen railguns in 70cm and 80cm. If you dive near freshwater drainages with a salmon return you may get a shot at salmon, just make sure you are spearing them well into the salt, no freshwater spearing is allowed. If you want to try for halibut, working with your charter may be your best bet. The big halibut I speared was after about 7 years of diving up here, and was a chance encounter when I was going to check out a deep wall on scuba with my buddy. Rockfish really like big boulders, so look for those when you are scoping out terrain to hunt. If they are there, odds are there will be good lings too. You can also chase Dungeness crab around the river mouths when you are freediving for the salmon. Good luck, and hit me up with any questions you come up with.

I dive New Jersey and if I have 5+ feet of vis it’s a good day. How bad is the AK murk?

I have midhandles in 28” 42” and I’m building a 3 band 52”.

I’m assuming the 42 is the gun for the job and from the videos I see online the rockfish are almost sitting ducks so I wouldn’t need the range of a big gun.

I’m going to look into the crabs and where they feed that’s awesome.