Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #91
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: 2015 Key West Wahoo Shootout

Egg-zackly!

It was fun watching people drop like flies in those conditions. I hope this year's results pull at the heart strings of those die hard guys that didn't go this year. So what if a few people realized this tournament was too rich for their blood! Haha

Meeting many new TOP divers and getting a chance to dive with them all and make future connections is a good enough reason to show up by itself. I prob planned an additional 4-5 trips for 2015 at the capt meeting alone (and I arrived late
Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #92
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

This isn't like shooting sheep's head under a bridge. If it was Zacker would have shown up and won. This is the type freedive elitist stuff that makes scuba peeps cringe and over fill their tanks for longer BT
Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #93
Spearooo

I doubt it would be easy, by definition competition is never a forgone conclusion.
Seeing the event grow is something I would like very much, as I feel we dont have enough of the mainstream exposure we deserve.

The event having some family friendly aspects/categories and holding a few of the right kind of charity raffles and games would only serve to better what already seems like winning formula.

What im saying is, we have enough machismo and hardcore by default, making the weighin something that the whols family can attend and have fun at is a big plus in my eyes.

I wasnt planning on competing seeing as im a fair weather weekend warrior, but i was planning on going to the weigh in to see all the cool dudes.

Next year Ill probably drag the family down and dive it.
Not to win, rather rub elbows with the elite
Please take this as constructive

Best regards
Carry on
Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #94
Spearooo

Btw, Zacker aka the great one, might have easily won.
I saw him Spank every local commercial diver in the 06 nationals
With 0 scouting, thats also not like shooting sheephead. Although those did count for points
Old 02-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #95
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

I'm sure zacker would have won but he didn't show so I'm allowed to talk smack in the hopes.he isn't scared for next year
Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #96
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearooo View Post
I doubt it would be easy, by definition competition is never a forgone conclusion.
Seeing the event grow is something I would like very much, as I feel we dont have enough of the mainstream exposure we deserve.

The event having some family friendly aspects/categories and holding a few of the right kind of charity raffles and games would only serve to better what already seems like winning formula.
I agree. And I hope you realize my post was not directed toward you or what you said. I just meant the tournament as a whole is not a charity event. It was extremely expensive to put on. I did not mean there would never be a charity raffle or alternative events. Sorry if that came off the wrong way.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #97
mc diver 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
All prizes were given away to the entrants.
That's totally awesome. Definitely going to have a team ready for next year! Beginners luck maybe!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #98
Spearooo

No offense taken although i have been accused and been guilty of being a hater before, in this case I have nothing but LOVE

I am truly proud of the community, it seems for the most part divers are a good bunch. Ive gotten to the point in my life, where aside from family and my work colleges, I have dive buddies, not much use for extranous "friends", and they are all stand up guys.

This is the only tourney that I wanted to attend, I hope next year, I can make it.

The fact no one landed one this year only feeds the flame to want it!

Good luck next year. I applaud your success!!
Carry on!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #99
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearooo View Post
No offense taken although i have been accused and been guilty of being a hater before, in this case I have nothing but LOVE

I am truly proud of the community, it seems for the most part divers are a good bunch. Ive gotten to the point in my life, where aside from family and my work colleges, I have dive buddies, not much use for extranous "friends", and they are all stand up guys.

This is the only tourney that I wanted to attend, I hope next year, I can make it.

The fact no one landed one this year only feeds the flame to want it!

Good luck next year. I applaud your success!!
Carry on!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #100
AaronC
Sponsor

It was definitely a great idea, and well put together. Keeping it prestigious will make for more allure. I think the people that hunt wahoo on a regular basis know what it takes to get one and it's not always a given to find one. They'll be more than willing to participate in hopes of being "the champ".

Wish I could have hung out longer, but it was great meeting new people and seeing some old faces. Great job JP.

F.I.I Certified Freedive Level 1 Instructor offering courses in the Tampa Bay area. Private courses also available upon request.
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #101
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Aaron thanks for coming down. I haven't talked to a single person who didn't have a blast. It would have been nice for someone to clean sweep the prizes but it's not always about the fish. That was proven last weekend without a doubt. Next year will be huge.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #102
prs77
Paul

Castronova,

Are you planning on doing this again next year? Are there any other events that you are thinking of starting up at other times throughout the year?
prs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #103
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prs77 View Post
Castronova,

Are you planning on doing this again next year? Are there any other events that you are thinking of starting up at other times throughout the year?
Yes, there will be a 2016 Key West Wahoo Shootout and there will be another Sea Sniper Pro Custom.

I thought about carrying the same type of tourny over to a summer reef tournament but I don't think it will be the same. Nor do I think I have enough time and energy in a year to put on another considering the loss of sleep, insane hours, with almost zero monetary return. I also used almost a week of my vacation time from work and I only get 2 a year.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #104
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

I'll be there again next year. A tourney in Key West is so much fun.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #105
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
Yes, there will be a 2016 Key West Wahoo Shootout and there will be another Sea Sniper Pro Custom.

I thought about carrying the same type of tourny over to a summer reef tournament but I don't think it will be the same..
Why wouldn't it be "the same"?