Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
sp9hzx

Re: Reel Vs. Float Line

Reels are comfortable in use,even for big fish.
In the Med Sea all guys use reels unless you expect to hunt for tuna.

Float line is good in BWH,and reall big and fierce fish

===========================
http://spearo.republika.pl
sp9hzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearkid16 View Post
Hey thanks for the info! I am a little confused but I think I got it. What size float are you using?

So basically when you are swimming out you just have 40ft of rope because you are in the shallows but once you get deeper you attach the other 30ft so in the end you have 70ft of float line. No need for 70ft of float line in the shallows. And for around SD with all the kelp is it best to have a breakaway system instead of having the float attached to the butt of the gun?
The float i have is not a heavy duty one for BWH like the Riffe, i just use a 'standard' one bought from my local dive shop for like $20 - mind you i lost the flag early on when swimming out through the surf.

My addition of the extra 30ft of rope has only come into force over the last couple weeks as i am now starting to reach 50 and 60ft on the drop off's. Yea i basically swim out with one length (the 40ft) attached from the butt of the gun to the underside of the buoy (btw, the bottom of the buoy has a rubber 'ring' for attaching things to, i got some steel wire and crimped a circle of it which allows me to attach things easier including my recent stringer). When i am out at the drop off/desired depth i just quickly un tie the looped up rope and using the double ended clip just attach it to the buoy and the other length of line.

When i get home later i will take a couple of pictures so you can see wha gwan on!
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
AlexbeeintheUK

In the mean time, if you regularly dive over Kelp i hear people saying this line and clip is worth the money for rigging a buoy whilst you swim between the sea grass
Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
djsmits305
DJ

Send a message via Skype™ to djsmits305

I love how you hyperthread (?) everything Alex!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmits305 View Post
I love how you hyperthread (?) everything Alex!
Haha, thanks. I like to be very visual, especially when trying to explain how to improve accuracy
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

When diving in the kelp, it is best to have no float (or a very small one) on the end of your floatline. I use a customized one of these. I had Josh make a 120' white line, thin diameter tubing, a pigtail swivel clip on one end and a spectra loop on the other. I have a large lifeguard float that I use when going for yellowtail. I see you're in La Jolla, you should swing by James and Joseph, they will have nearly everything you need. If you go custom, go with Neptonics floatlines. The best out there. Not the cheapest, but well worth it. I used a 100' Riffe line for years, but it's black, and tough to see on low vis days. Also, it only has a 400# core, while the Neptonics has a 1400# core. I know I'll never need 1400#, but it is a peace of mind kind of thing. You can always use a polypro line, but it tangles a lot, and will degrade quickly in the sun and salt.

Hope this helps.

Alex, that is an awesome .gif.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
AlexbeeintheUK

It is by far my favourite gif, especially seeing as someone took the time and effort to show it from 3 different angles!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #23
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

you could use both...... they both have advantages and dis-advantages. reels are fun to use but if you do see a big fish and shoot it, be prepare for a ride. i like using a reel on amberjacks, sometimes groupers and snappers are fun to shoot with it. now when im hunting cobia, kings, mahi, or something that can run hard if its big ill have my float tine... break away setup is the way to go. so after your shot you can surface with your gun. i prefer that incase any toothy critter want to check me out while im pulling my fish in, i dont have to use my knife ill just poke with my gun. its all personal preferance my friend. i would say try them both, theres always a lesson to learn.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

then again, california is another realm to me. would love to try it in the near future though!

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote