Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
GottabKevin

Wetsuits?

Hi, im new to this board and also new to expensive wetsuits. I wasnt sure if i was supposed to post here because im new but my question seems like a general one. Anyways to the point, i have been using the wetsuit ive started out with called scubamax. But now that im more experienced i think i need to upgrade to a picasso, yazbeck, omer wetsuit. Thats where my question comes in, i need a 7mm because i do a lot of diving in norcal, which one of those wetsuits is the best? which will last and keep me warm? My budget is around 350-400.
GottabKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
almazing

Re: Wetsuits?

The best one is the one that fits you the best. Different manufacturers have different cuts for their suits. There's also different camo, features, durability, flexibility, etc. If you have the chance, try on different brands. Get the one that fits you the best. I use a Mares Instinct Camo top and a Mares Instinct black long john bottom. Had it for about 6 months now and it keeps me warm and has no tears inside.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
GottabKevin

but as durability goes are they all equal? ive heard things about the yazbeck like 5 years ago that says there were problems such as tears, fading, but im not sure if those problems were resolved
Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
almazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottabKevin View Post
but as durability goes are they all equal? ive heard things about the yazbeck like 5 years ago that says there were problems such as tears, fading, but im not sure if those problems were resolved
No they are not all equal. Some are made better than others and are more pricey. Some aren't made as well and are less expensive. Look at stitching, the glued seams, etc. But the biggest factor in wetsuit durability is the owner. Treat it like crap, and it'll fall apart on you.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
SEATUX

The first thing to look for;
Is it glued and blind stitched, or just thru sewn. If they skimped on the time and money to not glue and blind stitch, they skimped on the grade of neoprene and EVERY thing else, in order to market a really cheap suit.
As they say; You get what you pay for! (Not to say all crappy suits are selling cheap!)
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
yakfisher

I bought a 7mm Rob Allen last year for NorCal. There hasn't been a single problem with the suit and it is incredibly warm. It's quite a bit warmer than the Picasso I had before. I had to switch from my nice warm Yazbek gloves to crappy worn out gloves to get some water circulation over my hands so I wouldn't be too warm in the Rob Allen. Fit is by far the most important. To me it is even more important than warmth or quality. My neck is messed up and it's very uncomfortable for me if the suit doesn't fit right in the hood and shoulders. I bought the Rob Allen because it fit me right.

The freediveshop in West Sac has a bunch of brands and they will patiently let you try on as many as you want.
yakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
GottabKevin

thank you everyone for giving me your inputs. I guess i will have to go to the shop and try them on. Another quick question, are wetsuits in the 350-400 range good wetsuits? Just want to make sure. I live in Riverside SoCal and if anyone knows a good dive shop in SoCal please let me know. Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
almazing

350-400 range wetsuits are basically the top of the line suits. Most normally average 250-300 new.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
zootielolo

The other thing to consider is that different types of neoprene have different benefits. Softer types of neoprene (yamamoto 45 comes to mind) are quite soft and very flexible. The downside is that it is prone to tearing more easily that others. The opposite is true for denser, more tear resistant neoprene: while they will generally last longer, they will be more uncomfortable.
zootielolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #10
FiftyFathoms

Riffe makes an excellent wetsuit...That being said everything riffe seeling costs an arm and a leg so you WILL be spending around 400$ on it. They're closed cell and it keeps you pretty much as dry as any wetsuit can. Good luck with your choice!

http://www.makospearguns.com/
Tell um' what you want, what you really, really want!
FiftyFathoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
almazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFathoms View Post
Riffe makes an excellent wetsuit...That being said everything riffe seeling costs an arm and a leg so you WILL be spending around 400$ on it. They're closed cell and it keeps you pretty much as dry as any wetsuit can. Good luck with your choice!
You mean open cell right?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
FiftyFathoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by almazing View Post
You mean open cell right?
yeah, my mistake

http://www.makospearguns.com/
Tell um' what you want, what you really, really want!
FiftyFathoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Check out makos wetsuits. I love mine. And its a good price to yamamoto neoprene.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Just Mom

Check out PolosubUSA.com They are custom made and most of the european divers use them. We are freedivers and have the forza tre for winter skin out also the spaccata cloth out for warmer water For the price, durability, comfort you can't get a better suit and shipping to the US is free. If you should tear the top or pants, hopefully this don;t happen you can reorder either one. I will be at their shop for 2 wks learning about different neopremes. They don't sell any other products so they concentrate on the best for their wetsuits since 1994.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Slider136

Mom/Jonny
Dan here from Key West give me a call. 561-248-8147
Dan, dinner is ready.
Slider136 is offline   Reply With Quote