Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #2206
Sanny

Re: SLO Dive Conditions

cayucos vis was a good 12'- not great, but good enough.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #2207
Chadms04

Dove Avila just north of the jetty today kind of surgey but awesome time couple of rockfish vis was bout 10’-12’. Nothing super stoic just that no one has posted on here in a bit!!!....Any spearos in the area that want to buddy some time let me know!! I got some skis and a yak but I don’t like big swells �� and I am a Leo......lol
Chadms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #2208
Youngun1998

Hi all, 3rd year Cal Poly student here. Finally actually logged into spearboard after making account a while ago. New to SLO area and have only dove spooners and even then only been out a handful of times. Looking for other spot ideas and even better a dive buddy. I'm a good freediver and willing to dive wherever and whenever, shoot me a text at (530) 574- 5-zero-seven-seven. Also super down for lobster diving, got a light and a bag and all. I normally hunt with a riffe 2 but just bought a hole gun as the riffe was a little cumbersome in the close quarters stuff I was seeing. Really appreciate any and all advice!
Youngun1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #2209
slodiver

do you have a kayak or are you shore diving? what depths are you comfortable hunting?
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #2210
Youngun1998

I've got a kayak (12 ft scupper classic) but so far have just been shorediving. Breath hold is a little weaker than it used to be so I generally prefer hunting as shallow as i can (10-15 or so) but can drop 20-30 if need be
Youngun1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #2211
slodiver

PM sent
slodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #2212
Dunnder

Pacific Coast Shark News 2018

Shell Beach — On August 1, 2018 Kristen Sanchez was paddling an outrigger with two companions 0.75 miles from shore about 50 feet Southeast of White Rock at Shell Beach in San Luis Obispo County at 6:50 PM. The recorded air and water temperatures were 61 and 57 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. There was a mild 5 MPH breeze from the ESE. Marine mammals were present in the area. Sanchez reported;“I was paddling with my outrigger canoe club. We had just rounded White Rock, a small emergent rock off of Shell Beach, and our 3 canoes were gathered up, discussing our next moves. I happened to be looking toward the rock when I saw the entire white underbelly (12 – 14 feet long, broad jaws, massive body, both pectoral fins splayed) as it emerged from the water, blood streaming from its mouth. When the shark resurfaced, I was able to see the grey dorsal fin and the tail fin, as it thrashed and submerged. A couple more disturbances on the water, a crimson pool, and a bird feeding frenzy...then nothing. It was difficult to tell what the shark had attacked but there had been 2 large rafts of Sea Otters that had been resting in separate kelp beds, nearby, and were all now disturbed. Moments before the attack, my canoe had passed through the area and I witnessed a single otter swimming in open water between kelp beds. I would guess this was the victim. We did not paddle over to investigate remnants.”
Dunnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #2213
Dunnder

Its been quiet. A little too quiet. Yaked out of spooners sat. Things were a little murky with the red tide. Around the corner to the south we could see the bottom in 15/20'. Saw a couple people on the beach with gear and guns. Why has this thread died?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #2214
iambluesman

Guessing the thread has died for the same reason other shore site condition threads have died. Reports of crappy vis up and down the coast.
iambluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #2215
Dunnder

Funny how aggressive and territorial dudes can get with the hook n line shit then when it comes to our local diving stuff you can't get enough individuals to give it a go.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #2216
surfer349

throwing this out there....seeing if any one will throw some good karma.

I'm a TX kid visiting in-laws next week in Pismo/SLO/AG area and bringing my dive gear. Anyone want to buddy dive?

Any tips for places to jump in for a quick dive?

I'm only in town for a few days so its not like I'm going to blow up your spot. just a one-time share.

PM me?
surfer349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #2217
NorCalTom

Hello SLO fish fans! I'm coming into town (down from SF) and thought that I might try my luck on the 16th. It'd be great to find a dive buddy to go out with. If you want to plan a dive or will let me tag along on something that you have planned, please let me know.

Tom
NorCalTom is offline   Reply With Quote