Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
Castor

Re: Boat advice

Take a good look at the transom. I’ve heard Grady transom issues are pretty common.
I’d also consider that you’re probably going to get about 1.7 mpg with that motor.

Probably a great boat for Catalina.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

2nd the transom thing. In my experience, Grady's are solid 'heavy' boats that tend to pound quite a bit w/ poor gas mileage. IMO, there's better hulls out there to be had at the same price points.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #18
Castor

I don’t know how much money you want to spend but there’s a 1976 SeacrFt 23 with a 2015 Suzuki four stoke on craigslist San Diego for $18K. Do a little research on this hull. Probably on of the best riding and most efficient hulls out there. It will also give you a legitimate 2.5 to 3 mpg. Not as comfy to sleep in as the Grady. You also need to watch the transom on Seacraft since the best ones are over 30 years old.

Good luck

Last edited by Castor; 08-13-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #19
Krosys1

I'd also find a friend that could help you with the buying process. things to look at, projects you're willing to take on and things that you don't to deal with.

regardless what you buy you'll more than likely over look something and will have to be ready to deal with it. i bought my boat back in october and the first thing i did was went through all the maintenance items myself, dont rely on the previous owner to do all of them. you want want to be half way out to the islands and then your motor starts to go into limp mode due to over heating from a worn impeller (that just happened to me).

Good luck with purchase! keep us posted on what you decided on?
Krosys1 is offline   Reply With Quote