Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Krosys1

Channel island overnight advice

Good evening all,

looking for some advice on staying overnight, on a boat at channel islands.

i plan on making the crossing in the mid-afternoon time saturday and staying until sunday afternoon.

Any good spots to settle up and out of the wind other than smugglers? we're just looking for a relaxing spot but also to throw the rod out at night to see if anything bites!
Krosys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Channel island overnight advice

Haven't dove up there for years, but, when we did, we made sure to have plenty of anchor chain and rope and a good high powered battery light...the wind can come up over top of the mountains and blow you off your anchoring spot (usually at 3 am)….hence, the need for a powerful light to see the rocks and cliff areas....this constant south swell/wind and n/w swell combo makes for some choppy nites on anchor...weather watching is key...you don't want to get caught out there with small craft warnings flying....know where the potato patch is located between the islands...that area can get dangerous at times....that said, there are wsb to be had and probably some bluefin at the footprint area below the islands....
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Krosys1

Thanks for that Bob. Yah, i'm actually quite nervous about the wind. when i camped on santa rosa island the wind was blowing pretty good through the canyon at night. I'm getting a double anchor set up (front and back of the boat) to help secure the boat over night. i think for my first go around i'm going to look for a good cove to tuck into if i can. otherwise it's smugglers cove. I'm hoping the full moon will make some good night fishing action. i'm bringing my dive gear and some rods.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Watch the weather, and Anchor up on a east facing area if possible. That channel is almost always wind from the west, get behind the island and get out of that wind. Summer months usually has a swell from the south, but the wind is what you need to be concerned about and water. The more east you are the less wind. (East edge of Santa Cruz is the best, just north of Yellow Banks) The more you camp towards Santa Rosa to more wind you will see.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Atractonobilis

Should be a great trip! This is a good time of year to go out there, and typically won't get as windy as in the spring time. If you are flexible on your trip dates, just check the wind forecast on Magic Seaweed, or NOAA, and adjust accordingly, because it may be windy for a few days, but usually there are lulls. As for using two anchors, it can help you tuck in out of the wind if you're anchored up close to a bluff, and they are both set really well, (i.e. 5 or 6 to 1 scope) however they are more prone to drag if you are not lined up perfectly with the prevailing wind.

Another small cove you could anchor in, which has northwest protection is Albert's Anchorage up next to Coches Prietos. Coches is good too, inside the cove, but often get's packed on the weekends, and the afternoon winds are on your beam.

Santa Rosa is typically windier than Cruz, if that makes you feel any better.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Krosys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atractonobilis View Post
Should be a great trip! This is a good time of year to go out there, and typically won't get as windy as in the spring time. If you are flexible on your trip dates, just check the wind forecast on Magic Seaweed, or NOAA, and adjust accordingly, because it may be windy for a few days, but usually there are lulls. As for using two anchors, it can help you tuck in out of the wind if you're anchored up close to a bluff, and they are both set really well, (i.e. 5 or 6 to 1 scope) however they are more prone to drag if you are not lined up perfectly with the prevailing wind.

Another small cove you could anchor in, which has northwest protection is Albert's Anchorage up next to Coches Prietos. Coches is good too, inside the cove, but often get's packed on the weekends, and the afternoon winds are on your beam.

Santa Rosa is typically windier than Cruz, if that makes you feel any better.
Definately keeping an eye on the wind. it looks like it's pretty calm after 7pm, so far. i've been scoping a couple of coves off google maps so i have a few spots in mind. i'm hoping to get some early morning diving in before we turn in. It should be fun!
Old 08-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Sanny

Little scorpion has good shelter from wind in the lee of scorpion rock- seems fairly popular for overnight stays. I heard someone say that the wind is coming up out there this weekend.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #8
aus
squid

Don’t double anchor, Hug the island up tight on the east end, chuck one hook and sleep like a baby, it’s not fun if you’re worried. If the weather forecast is supposed to blow over 20knots from the south, try another week.
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
Bob Ballew

You might want to rethink anchoring overnite this coming weekend...NOAA predicts rising seas 5 to 7' from Santa Cruz island out and N/W wind gusts to 30 mph....that puts it over on the iffy side...a day run and back in the wine room by 3 pm would be my call....I am heading out in the morning (Wed) for 3 days...changing plan from San Clemente Island's 5 to 7' forecast to Catalina's 2 to 3'ers....chasing dorado on the paddies and scoping the horizon for a swordie or marlin early am...afternoons in Avalon town at the El Galleon patio watching tuna go by or out at Descanso beach with the party crowd...retirement has it's benefits....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-21-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Krosys1

Thank you guys.

I'll keep an eye on that but if it holds true come friday for the wind then we'll cancel it...... damn it....
Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Krosys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Don’t double anchor, Hug the island up tight on the east end, chuck one hook and sleep like a baby, it’s not fun if you’re worried. If the weather forecast is supposed to blow over 20knots from the south, try another week.
what depth do you look for when you go in close and do you let out the 5:1 ratio? i think for my first time i'll be sleeping with one eye open anyways :P.

Yah the weekend i'm seeing now it says it will be between 10 to 20 mph (including gusts). We really want to go out because with my wifes work schedule she's always booked out 2-3 months.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosys1 View Post
what depth do you look for when you go in close and do you let out the 5:1 ratio? i think for my first time i'll be sleeping with one eye open anyways :P.

Yah the weekend i'm seeing now it says it will be between 10 to 20 mph (including gusts). We really want to go out because with my wifes work schedule she's always booked out 2-3 months.
Recommended 6:1 or 7:1 on your scope for an overnight expecting a good night's sleep. If you have a lot of chain, that can reduce the scope. If your boat is really light or does not catch the wind, that can reduce your scope...

Figure if you have 200ft of rope plus chain the same or greater length of your boat, your good out to ~30 ft of water.

If your running 150ft of rope plus chain equal to your boat length, your good in ~20ft of water.

Conditions will vary... honestly if there is zero wind and zero swell you could get away with a 4:1 scope... but best to not risk it and anchor somewhere shallow enough to accommodate your rope length
Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
batt

One anchor. Be sure to set it. Be prepared to face the opposite direction in the middle of the night. I always drop my weight belt down the anchor line. Some times 2 at Scorpion with the small 4" boulders.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #14
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by batt View Post
One anchor. Be sure to set it. Be prepared to face the opposite direction in the middle of the night. I always drop my weight belt down the anchor line. Some times 2 at Scorpion with the small 4" boulders.
Interesting advice. That's an extra 20-40 pounds on the anchor which I'm sure is very helpful...

Thanks for that

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

That is funny. I have carried a kettlebell before, and clipped it to the anchor where it connects to the rhode. The extra weight really helps keep the chain on the floor and prevents the anchor for pulling up. I love the weight belt idea to accomplish the same thing. I believe there is a product out there that you can buy also. It reduces the swing arch, and helps in a tight anchorage as well.

Some awesome tables here for anchoring scope based on wind

http://fortressanchors.com/resources...nchoring-guide