Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Oregon spearfishing

So there was no good solid thread just for Oregon so i am starting one! I am a newly certified scuba diver as of this year. I do however have a little prior free diving experience..... MOST importantly I am a VERY ABLE DIVER, not scared of much... and am down for anything. I like to lake dive, river dive, and ocean dive. I have free dived in Tillimook Bay, Netarts Bay and Nehalem Bay. I have freedived almost every lake on Mt. Hood and several in Central Oregon I have most recently been scuba diving off Barview Jetty (spearfsihing). My dive partner as of now is..... slow and OFP (on Own F'ing Program). Looking for more dive/scuba/spearfishing buddies. Im 26, a veteran, willing to drive to coast often. Have all my own gear. It would be cool to set up an email tree atleast so we all know whats comming up. Let me know.

Last edited by DEATH-BY-SPEAR; 04-20-2011 at 04:46 PM.
DEATH-BY-SPEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver
Re: Oregon spearfishing

Welcome to the board

I live in Bend, and get out to Newport as often as I can - which is usually only once a month. I freedive 99% of the time while spearing, but I am also experienced in SCUBA.

Where are you at?

There are a few divers on here from Oregon, but we're fairly scarce.

-Casey
Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Indeed welcome D-B-S,

Always good to see another Oregon spearo. I'm a northwestern oregon resident (Portland). I'm both free and scuba. In Oregon I prefer scuba for hunting fish but I still free for scallops. My latest mania is actually to try hitting up southern oregon for ab diving (and spearing of course). However, local dives are certainly more feasible.

As Casey said, let us know where you are and then we can start making plans. I'd be happy to be part of an e-mail tree although PM on this board works quite well too.

Again welcome and let's dive!

Clayton
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

So excited to hear from you guys. I am in Lake Oswego. I go to Garibaldi alot because my folks have a house there. Do you guys stay at hotels in Newport or what? I would love to free dive with you, though I am most likely far less conditioned for it then you. I am in the midst of finding a job at the moment so distance traveling with hotels and what not are not feasable AT THE MOMENT. I am going to Garibaldi/Barview sunday night monday night (4/17-4/19...) possibly longer if anyone wants to meet up. When you guys free dive what depth are you normally at? Scuba wise- I own everything plus to tanks... can rent more. Oh and BTW My parents live in Bend as did I for 6 years. I make it there often... Do alot of dirtbiking and fishing overthere.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
winklecl
Lord O' Cabezon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH-BY-SPEAR View Post
So excited to hear from you guys. I am in Lake Oswego. I go to Garibaldi alot because my folks have a house there. Do you guys stay at hotels in Newport or what? I would love to free dive with you, though I am most likely far less conditioned for it then you. I am in the midst of finding a job at the moment so distance traveling with hotels and what not are not feasable AT THE MOMENT. I am going to Garibaldi/Barview sunday night monday night (4/17-4/19...) possibly longer if anyone wants to meet up. When you guys free dive what depth are you normally at? Scuba wise- I own everything plus to tanks... can rent more. Oh and BTW My parents live in Bend as did I for 6 years. I make it there often... Do alot of dirtbiking and fishing overthere.
Cool, you're actually just across the river from me. I'm in Milwaukie.

Hope you had a good trip, the weather on the coast was supposed to be fantastic. Post if you got out.

When I free in the northwest, I never go past about 30'. Never had the need or desire to push past that (it gets dark down there). In north cali I can go to 40' but again there really isn't much need. 90% of my hunting is in the 15'-25' range. I prefer to try and focus on down-time than depth.
I have no problem hunting on scuba, nice and relaxed and you don't miss as many shots. Plus gives you a good long time to check out those holes where lings/reds hide. Different strokes for all.
winklecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
JDiaz

Location: Miami, FL..Hampton, Virginia, Puerto Rico, Washington, San Diego

Hey guys, I'll be moving to Whidbey Island this summer, from looking at the map it looks like not too long of a drive to Oregon, anyways I only freedive, but i will be getting into scuba as soon as I settle down in WA, just wanted to let you know, I'll be available in the Island, I dont mind driving down to Oregon and do a few dives with you guys, specially if is freediving, I'm also trained on freediving rescue/emergency situations with PFI so I will look out for you.

stay safe

Joan
JDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
nileek

Alright! Count me in on this. I've done some spearfishing on the coast. I'm interested in free diving but I'm not to privy on locations.

I'm heading to Pacific City tomorrow morning to check out the surf but would also like to make some kills. Any recommendations on places around there? Also, I head out to Seaside/ Cannon Beach area often, any area's around there?

Please contact me and lets keep each other in the loop. Also, I need some new fins and I'm still working on my weight/ buoyancy. Any advice?

Chris.
nileek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Hey three of us will be at barview jetty north on tuesday for the 1:45ish pm high slack to do some scuba/spearfishing if anyone wants to meet. Its a one tank dive/day trip. if you want to meet text or call me 541 six four seven 3636.

in advice to the weight.bouyancy issue.... ? what are you asking? you refering to free diving or scuba... text me and i will help if i can. - Nick

PS- Barview jetty is between Garibaldi and rockaway (north of tillimook)
Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
DEATH-BY-SPEAR

Hey all havent heard much from anyone. I have been going often and doing well but I really want to get out and FREEDIVE. I need practice and conditioning in that area so let me know if you are going when and where and if you dont mind me and a buddy tagging along maybe we can meet you. I have been SLAYING the lingcod, though they seem to be a bit smaller then earlier in the year... seabass are as many as you want I dont shoot them under 16" any more if at all and greenlings are plentiful right now too- looking for 18" + on them. I also want to BS about spearguns. I have two for sale right now. A polished barrel/stock JBL 38-Special dbl band with brand new bands for $140... and a JBL Mini Carbine single band brand new band for $60. Otherwise anyone else rockin JBL guns I have a few questions. Also I have tricking out my guns if anyone wants to get together and mod their gun. IE- flashlight/laser mounts, GoPro camera mounts, polished or painted stocks/barrels/muzzles/grip assemblies etc... Thanks - Nick
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
heloswimmer
Vuce

Send a message via Skype™ to heloswimmer

Whats up guys, I just recently moved here to North Bend OR. My max dive was 79 ft in Curacao. Off the coast of the coast of Columbia on a port call before I got into aviation. Anyway It was like 3 years ago, but Im still pretty active and im sure I could still do it. I want to get into spearfishing out here in OR. Last time I did some swimmer opps off the siuslaw river near florence, and the water was really clear to my surprise I could see to the bottom. Im guessing it was around 15 to 20 ft deep too. Anyway let me know if anyone is interested in comming out here to spearfish. All I need is a new spear gun, and I'll be ready to go, which Ill be gettin in the next couple of days.
heloswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
North Star
Max

Heloswimmer - Welcome to the board. Are you a SAR swimmer off of a helicopter with the Coast Guard there in North Bend? I have seen the Heli's take off while at a church I have attended there at the North Bend Housing Authority building, just about two blocks east of the base. It is called Mariner's Reformed Baptist Church. Good church if you are interested in going.

I live about 3 hours away from North Bend so I cannot give you any advice about the area as far as diving goes, but hope to learn from you as you explore the area. Post up some reports for us!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #12
heloswimmer
Vuce

Send a message via Skype™ to heloswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Heloswimmer - Welcome to the board. Are you a SAR swimmer off of a helicopter with the Coast Guard there in North Bend? I have seen the Heli's take off while at a church I have attended there at the North Bend Housing Authority building, just about two blocks east of the base. It is called Mariner's Reformed Baptist Church. Good church if you are interested in going.

I live about 3 hours away from North Bend so I cannot give you any advice about the area as far as diving goes, but hope to learn from you as you explore the area. Post up some reports for us!
Yes sir, I am a SAR swimmer. Well actually almost. I'm waiting on a couple more flights till I'm fully qualified to stand the watch haha. I have been looking for a church, and I found one called college park community church that I like so far, but I'll have to check out the Mariner's sometime also.

By the way would you happen to know where I could find the spearfishing regs for oregon? Thanks for the good info, and I'll be sure to let ya know when I explore some more.
heloswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #13
North Star
Max

Great! The DFG regs can be found in print at any sporting goods store that sells hunting/fishing licenses, and it is free. Or, you can get them online here:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/

In general, right now you can get 7 of the rockfish group - cabezon, kelp greenling, and black rockfish in any combination, and two lingcod, for a total of nine fish.

BUT, the lings have to be at least 22 inches long, and cabezon is closed for the remainder of the year, so do not take any cabezon until Jan 1.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
orspearo666
Water wolf

hey guys im kind of new to this forum... i signed up a long time ago and just never confirmed registry. anywise, im a freediver and im looking for guys to go with in oregon. im very mobil up and down the coast. right now all ive got is a polespear but im getting a gun soon. had to rebuy all of my gear (sold it right after highschool... awful mistake). anyway if anyone out there needs a dive buddy just send me a pm and i will send you my contact info!
orspearo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
orspearo666
Water wolf

i know its the middle of the week and such but come on guys! also, beer would most certainly be provided post dive.
orspearo666 is offline   Reply With Quote