Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 05-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
riley's hump

advice on Molokai

I'm going to be visiting on Molkai first of june for 10 days. I'm from the florida gulf coast and look forward to freediving and spearfishing. Haven't been to Hawaiian islands before and looking for advice on spearing from beach, boat?, and gear set up for this time of year. I've been working on fish ID. Sounds like a wonderful place where the residents have managed to keep control of their Island. Thanks
riley's hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Smudge
Squid

Re: advice on Molokai

The windward side is the place to go, but access is very limited from what I understand. The lee side is shallow and pretty sharky.

Be very respectful of the locals and the island as a whole.
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
jstroup
Colorado

Molokai can be pretty hardcore when it comes to locals being protective of there land/water. Be very cautious about where you choose to dive. I wish I could give you better advice in terms a location, but your best bet is to get logged into hawaiiskindiver.com and post to see if anyone who lives on Molokai might be willing to offer some advice, or even possibly meet up with you.

Best of luck!
jstroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Advice on HSD.com...DONT come straight out and say that you want to know places to spear, and or are looking to tag along. They do not take kindly to this, and will probably ignore your post. If you start talking, and then just make a general post about advice on simply molokai in general...you will probably get a couple PM's about people being willing to help you. Good luck, Hawaii is awesome.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
jstroup
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Advice on HSD.com...DONT come straight out and say that you want to know places to spear, and or are looking to tag along. They do not take kindly to this, and will probably ignore your post. If you start talking, and then just make a general post about advice on simply molokai in general...you will probably get a couple PM's about people being willing to help you. Good luck, Hawaii is awesome.
Kingfisherfles makes a good point. I think if you are an experienced diver it may not matter...hopefully you are, otherwise you may not get much in the way of feedback on HSD. Locals won't usually cater to newbies coming from the mainland. But if you have experience...let them know, tell people in your first post what your background in freediving and spearing and you'll likely get some kind of advice. It is worth jumping through some hoops! Diving in Hawaii is a great experience.
jstroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Hands down the most beautiful place Ive ever been... I dove off of Waikiki on my first day on oahu...thought it was a beautiful coral garden, and its "crap" acording to every hawaiian Ive ever talked to about it. Theres reef right there...like ten feet from shore. Nothing like that in Florida or the Great Lakes that Im used to...

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
riley's hump

Thanks guys. I have a connection there who dives and I have been at it about 30 years Florida & caribbean, but every place is different. Have studied up best possible on cultural history and local situation. Mostly interested in pelagics so as not to impact locals fish supply from shallows.
riley's hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
blaiz

Molokai is notorious for sharks too... especially in the areas you might find pelagics. A friend of mine was diving on the NE side not too long ago and said they couldnt shoot a single fish. They were shadowed by about 3-4 10ft great hammerheads the whole time. He said they were mellow but knew that if a fish was shot the situation would change rather quickly.

I want to go there just to dive with the Hammerheads. I think that would be pretty awesome.
blaiz is offline   Reply With Quote