Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #1966
water_moccasin

Dive Barnegat Inlet in December

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
You said most NCO's wouldn't put up with it from a civilian. I said no they wouldn't, but they would from a SNCO.

If you don't know what an E4 is, which isn't an NCO, what, did up Google the term NCO? Talk about confusing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
E4 is an NCO, in which branch of service is it not?

Yes, very confusing. You took it out of context. My point was that most E4's I used to know, Corporals that is, wouldn't put up with civilians giving them a bag of shit about doing their job.
water_moccasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #1967
njdiver

Re: Daily Vis report thread

When I served, E4 was split as Senior Airman and Seargent. You did not get the NCO status until time in grade and passing a test.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #1968
Ric

Re: Dive Barnegat Inlet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by water_moccasin View Post
Well, I do have a 7mm ...

Ric, how long were you diving with 20lbs, when did you lose the sandbag? I figure I could use 2-4 lbs more -- it would help me both invert and drop faster. However, I think having the weight properly balanced is more important. That's why I've stuck with sixteen pounds, on my belt, for all recent dives in my 5.5mm suit. Vests make me too top heavy and I believe they could cause me to tumble in a dive. Even unbalanced lead on my belt throws off my form, so I've opted for dialing in the weight, then figuring out how to disperse it around the belt without impeding movement on my strong side.
I had 14lbs on the belt and 8 on the back, so 22lbs total. Loosing a 2lbs bag didn't make any difference that I could feel and I don't even know when I loose that bag. Which means that I could have had 20lbs in the first place....With my 5 mm suit and 16lbs only on the belt, I am still buoyant at 12-15 ft (I tried) so my optimal weight load would be somewhere between 16 and 20/22lbs. 4 lbs difference, well at this point I think this is close enough.
I am ~ 5'7" and ~157lbs but I must have a lower density body perhaps, I don't know, but 16lbs only is way too much buoyancy with my 5 mm. By the way, the suit is a farmer style Open suit so there is a significant overlap of the lower and upper part at the level of the chest. So there, it is 10 mm of neoprene, not 5 mm. Perhaps that explains why I need so much weight?

I made a movie with some clips, i'll put it online tomorrow.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #1969
water_moccasin

5mm in Oyster Creek ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I made a movie with some clips, i'll put it online tomorrow.
Great, I need a still for my profile.

Ric, I think you're correct, there's more neoprene on your suit, even though mine is 5.5mm. A few more lb's should help compensate. I just picked up three, eight pound Sea Pearls. I'm going to put the 24lbs on a Marseillaise belt and see how it counteracts the buoyancy of my 7mm. Next time we dive the inlet I'll bring a few different rubber belts -- 16lbs, 20lbs, and 24lbs, you could try one out and see how it feels with the vest.

One other thing Ric. Plastic fins are a must in the inlet, too many rocks for fiber blades. Stiffer fins aid in ascending and descending though. They may be less maneuverable in shallower water and more tiresome, but they're a must for deeper diving -- beyond equalization.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #1970
Ric

Re: 5mm in Oyster Creek ...

Quote:
Great, I need a still for my profile.
and we will all see that you were in the forty-ish-isher ft away from the jetty.

My 5mm suit is brand new, perhaps it will compress as it ages. Your 5.5 looked indeed thinner than mine.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #1971
Ric

done !

https://youtu.be/WP_7pVhVRQw
WM, I don't know how you can make a good still out of that, it's 720p X 60fps. But some frames could make an avatar.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #1972
Dugan26

Quote:
sure, they are public, you pay for it with your taxes

Currents for Barnegat (location 382)
http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/382.html
other locations are indicated with dots.

Northeast granules and other regions
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/oc...667_daily.html
I noticed some sort of 2 days cycles, clear one day, granules the next etc. To me, it has to be spotless for 2 days straight to have good visibility in the channel. Right now it looks pretty good, but the coming rains are not going to improve the visibility.

Ric- thanks for the great info - and if i am being a pain just ignore me.

I get the tide charts - those i have followed -

The interesting one are these Granules charts - any quick notes on how to read those? whats the correlation between water clarity and what is on these charts?

Many thanks in advance

dugan-
Dugan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #1973
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugan26 View Post
Ric- thanks for the great info - and if i am being a pain just ignore me.

I get the tide charts - those i have followed -

The interesting one are these Granules charts - any quick notes on how to read those? whats the correlation between water clarity and what is on these charts?

Many thanks in advance

dugan-
Hi Dugan, no problems, as I said the links were given by jerseymud snipper more than a year ago.
Regarding the granules, honestly, in the place where WM and I have been, the water is 'clean' only when the granule map is totally clear in the North East map, and it has to be clear for two days straight, which never happens in Summer. In Summer, when one day it's clear, the day after there are granules, but it translates in my experience in bad visibility ALL the time, starting in early July.
What are these granules ? the chart says it's linked to the chlorophyll content, aka algea bloom, aka nutrients from run off that accumulate in the bay and turn into algea. But water is too cold to make algea bloom now, yet you've seen in the video that I've posted that the water is full of particles and that was before ebb. So in short, I don't what they are, clay particle, sand, algea ?
When we arrived last Sunday with WM, around 10:30AM there were several tug boats with a train of long floating 'sausages' and also there was some boats digging the bay. I don't know what they are up to, probably cleaning the channel, and that possibly created the disturbance.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #1974
water_moccasin

low vis, fog, poor seal ... great dive

Quote:
done !

https://youtu.be/WP_7pVhVRQw
WM, I don't know how you can make a good still out of that, it's 720p X 60fps. But some frames could make an avatar.
Good job Ric. No problem, I'll pull something out of it. As you can see my mask was giving me problems. Your mask looked clear. Is it new, or do you wash it with a special detergent or baby shampoo?

You made a couple of nice dives on the clip, showcasing, 'for the record' descending and ascending in poor vis, as well as the bottom of the inlet at a depth of between 25 and 30' in the two locations that I've dived at off of the South Jetty this Fall. Good relief down there Ric -- nice sandy bottom, littered with large boulders. That should be good habitat for predators, I recommend approaching with both stealth and caution.

Come Spring, if you need someone to get in the water with you, let me know. --John
Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #1975
Ric

Re: low vis, fog, poor seal ... great dive

Quote:
Good job Ric. No problem, I'll pull something out of it. As you can see my mask was giving me problems. Your mask looked clear. Is it new, or do you wash it with a special detergent or baby shampoo?
Yes I noticed you had some fog. Mine is not new, I just spit in it and 'wash' it only with tap water. No soap. I don't remember the brand, Cressy maybe, not sure.

Thanks about the video. It's basic settings done in goprostudio, but I can say that it is much better on my computer than the uploaded version in you tube. Beside the pixelisation, I also feel the Youtube version is more shaky, which is annoying because I specifically shoot in 60fps to have a smooth video. I guess that issue doesn't belong in this thread.

Quote:
Come Spring, if you need someone to get in the water with you, let me know. --John
I can't wait for the Blue fish, in Marsh maybe. It's a long wait and I'll have to do 'body maintenance'.
See you in Spring then, unless there is a warm weather episode in between.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #1976
water_moccasin

Re: low vis, fog, poor seal ... great dive

Quote:
Thanks about the video. It's basic settings done in goprostudio, but I can say that it is much better on my computer than the uploaded version in you tube. Beside the pixelisation, I also feel the Youtube version is more shaky, which is annoying because I specifically shoot in 60fps to have a smooth video. I guess that issue doesn't belong in this thread.
I noticed when I downloaded it too, much clearer on my desktop. I'll have a gun ready for the Bluefish run, looking forward to it. In the meantime, read Carlos Eyles, Last of the Blue Water Hunters. http://a.co/4EpOUp3
Old 12-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #1977
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

Re: Dive Barnegat Inlet in December

Quote:
E4 is an NCO, in which branch of service is it not?

Yes, very confusing. You took it out of context. My point was that most E4's I used to know, Corporals that is, wouldn't put up with civilians giving them a bag of shit about doing their job.
E4s are not technically NCO's. They can write paperwork when they've had whatever training, but in no one's realm are they considered an NCO to anyone other than themselves.

I didn't take it out of context. I told you I went in there and talked to them. I'm not a civilian, I'm an E7. And when I ask to talk to the CO, I get a PO2, and tell him he's enforcing waterways that aren't really his to enforce laws on, and then enforcing incorrect laws, I'm not really carrying civilian status... I'd have told the same shit to an CO. I could care less if it's an officer. If I have printed regulation/laws, I'll tell an O6 he is wrong.

I guess you just assumed I was a civilian and didn't live my life by regulation. Nothing gets done in my job unless it's to a regulation T. So having an E4 show me they don't know what their job is, strikes a cord with me when I'm out trying to relax....
Old 12-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #1978
SJ_Spearo

Anyone have a recent viz report. I might try to dive this weekend
SJ_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:40 AM   #1979
anywater

World spearfishing event

http://www.freshwaterworlds.com/wp/usa-2017/videos/
Could use a little help promoting this World Spearfishing Event.
Our US team still has opening for women and Juniors and Masters 60+
But our foreign divisions have lots of opening.
Please review the web site above and call me with any questions
I really appreciate the help in passing this on
Mike McGuire
970-216-5902
anywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #1980
Ric

Hi guys,
Sunday forecast for NJ shore is 3-4 ft waves and 40kts wind gust. Rough, but could it be manageable in Barnegat inlet since the jetty is supposed to break the waves ?