Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
brianmh13

First Day Out LO&Morro

My buddy Andrew and I went out for the first time at Osos and Morro Yesterday.
The weather wasn't great but it was good to be in the water for the first time! Vis was probably about 4-5 feet. I had a hard time getting my ears to clear and am going to try some new techniques other than the Valsalva. The VTO maneuver is the one that I think will work well but we'll see how it goes. Andrew was telling me that there were some guys here talking about using earplugs to help with equalization. I'm gonna look for those threads but if someone wants to send me a link if you know what I'm talking about or any advice would be appreciated. I saw a little Jelly right after I got in the water at Morro. That was pretty cool it was about the size of a quarter and there it was right in front of me! Anyway probably a pretty good start. Going to Cayucos tomorrow...
brianmh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Noah Doughty
Water

Re: First Day Out LO&Morro

Thanks for the post.

Where did you jump in the water at? Morro Bay can be tricky in that you really need to look at what the tides are doing and try to get in during that hour or so before slack high tide to get the best water. If you catch it on the outgoing tide it can be real nasty stuff to dive in.

As far as earplugs go I recently picked up a pair of the JBL earplugs from one of the local surfshops. I think they work great and my ears felt fantastic after diving with them. If you are just getting started though it would probably be beneficial to take the time to learn how to equalize without any plugs. Just part of being more at ease in the water.

Good luck at Cayucos as look forward to hearing how you did.