Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Sheepshead are in

Went out Saturday in all that heavy fog and made it safely 17.7 miles out of the Stein to the shrimpboat wreck. The water was clear enough to make out the hull in 38 ft. No Amberjack at all but there was a sizeable number of sheepshead and gag grouper down there. Another boat was using live shrimp and doing well on both species. The bite was a bit hard for us with only boating four sheep's on frozen shrimp with several cutoffs.When cleaning them, I found the roe sacks in a very premature stage of development. I plan on getting back out asap but the real bite should be near the full moon in March.
The water temp was 61 degrees which surprised me a bit. I thought that it would be a bit cooler.
Seahag Marina says that the ARS are holding good numbers of fish.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Sheepshead are in

Quote:
Originally Posted by searaydiver View Post
Went out Saturday in all that heavy fog and made it safely 17.7 miles out of the Stein to the shrimpboat wreck. The water was clear enough to make out the hull in 38 ft. No Amberjack at all but there was a sizeable number of sheepshead and gag grouper down there. Another boat was using live shrimp and doing well on both species. The bite was a bit hard for us with only boating four sheep's on frozen shrimp with several cutoffs.When cleaning them, I found the roe sacks in a very premature stage of development. I plan on getting back out asap but the real bite should be near the full moon in March.
The water temp was 61 degrees which surprised me a bit. I thought that it would be a bit cooler.
Seahag Marina says that the ARS are holding good numbers of fish.
One of my most memorable dives was on that wreck at first light. Looking upwards from below, the sun shimmering off the sides of the massive bait fish ball above was surreal.
Thanks for the report. BTW, I haven't had a bad roe sack yet. Snappers are sweet. I hate seeing it going to waste having been raised on mullet roe/gizzards. Gizzards were always the first to go.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
jbsrq

thanks for the report searaydiver! We were out running around for triple tail Saturday and the conditions were great once the fog burned off.

Marcus, how do you prepare the roe? I haven't used the roe sacks but would love to give it a try.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
kwyoungspear

I think you mean Sherpa
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
I think you mean Sherpa
I was confused when I read the post title, thank you for clearing it up!