Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Ron S

Reloading press, single stage vs turret.

Can a turret press reload as precisely as a single stage, or does the rotating turret cause enough variance to be an issue when building consistent rifle rounds?

Looking at replacing some worn out equipment and considering a turret press to replace my 29 year old RCBS Partner press.

Thanks,

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
OBLIGATED

Re: Reloading press, single stage vs turret.

Dillon reloadersMatch grade ammo and a no bullshit guarantee for life on the equipment.I have the 550B with no issue from the machine.
When I moved the reloader got banged around and some parts were broke.Called Dillon to order the parts.They wouldnt charge me even though it wasnt their fault!Customer for life.
I started on a Rock Chucker single stage
Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
Dillon reloadersMatch grade ammo and a no bullshit guarantee for life on the equipment.I have the 550B with no issue from the machine.
When I moved the reloader got banged around and some parts were broke.Called Dillon to order the parts.They wouldnt charge me even though it wasnt their fault!Customer for life.
I started on a Rock Chucker single stage
Yeah I actually already have a Dillon. It's a very well used 450 a friend gave me when he retired. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds of pistol ammo he loaded, and then I loaded several thousand 9mm, 45, and 40.

Problem is, it's just worn out. Tolerances are to the point where pretty much every part of it gives my problems. Then too, it's kind of a pain to use for my rifle rounds that I load each step individually and weigh each powder charge.

The 550B appears to be more of a turret press rather then a progressive. That's the one that looks like it would suit my needs the best, rather than the progressive version, as I'm only loading about 1,000 pistol rounds per year, but always seem to be tinkering with new loads for my rifles...
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
Timinator

I have both too; a Dillon 550B and a Rock Chucker. I reload for my long range rifles/prairie dog guns on the Rock Chucker. All the brass is trimmed and champhored, deburred, primer pockets sized and trimmed, etc. I do all the tasks for this by hand, including priming by hand with a hand press in front of the TV. Then I use an automated powder dispenser and press the bullets in and go back and forth. It's about the perfect timing between them. I check the head spacing initially when setting up the Rock Chucker with a split neck round and then back it down a few thousandths. I reload several thousand rounds like this for a prairie dog trip.

The Dillon I use for pistol rounds and just plinking .223. I can do about 400/hr. on it. But that's with everything all set up and all primers loaded in the tubes and ready to go.

Is there a difference? The Dillon is a pretty nice piece of equipment, but I don't think it's as consistent in everything as the process I do with the Rock Chucker. I don't think any long range shooter uses a progressive press, but for 99% of the people shooting, it's probably way more consistent than their shooting is.....
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Yeah I actually already have a Dillon. It's a very well used 450 a friend gave me when he retired. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds of pistol ammo he loaded, and then I loaded several thousand 9mm, 45, and 40.

Problem is, it's just worn out. Tolerances are to the point where pretty much every part of it gives my problems. Then too, it's kind of a pain to use for my rifle rounds that I load each step individually and weigh each powder charge.

The 550B appears to be more of a turret press rather then a progressive. That's the one that looks like it would suit my needs the best, rather than the progressive version, as I'm only loading about 1,000 pistol rounds per year, but always seem to be tinkering with new loads for my rifles...
Dillon could probably refurbish the reloader.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
I have both too; a Dillon 550B and a Rock Chucker. I reload for my long range rifles/prairie dog guns on the Rock Chucker. All the brass is trimmed and champhored, deburred, primer pockets sized and trimmed, etc. I do all the tasks for this by hand, including priming by hand with a hand press in front of the TV. Then I use an automated powder dispenser and press the bullets in and go back and forth. It's about the perfect timing between them. I check the head spacing initially when setting up the Rock Chucker with a split neck round and then back it down a few thousandths. I reload several thousand rounds like this for a prairie dog trip.

The Dillon I use for pistol rounds and just plinking .223. I can do about 400/hr. on it. But that's with everything all set up and all primers loaded in the tubes and ready to go.

Is there a difference? The Dillon is a pretty nice piece of equipment, but I don't think it's as consistent in everything as the process I do with the Rock Chucker. I don't think any long range shooter uses a progressive press, but for 99% of the people shooting, it's probably way more consistent than their shooting is.....
I bought the 550 for a MAC 11 I had.They eat bullets fast and it got expensive quick.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
Dillon could probably refurbish the reloader.
That press is pretty obsolete. Some of the parts I need are no longer available. The deal now is to upgrade the 450 to a 550, but by the time you buy all the upgrade parts, you could just buy a new 550.

Really leaning towards a good quality single stage press and taking my time. The Redding press looks good. The new Mec press looks even better. Always associated Mec with shotgun reloading, didn't even realize they now make a bullet press too.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
JDSapp

Think of a press the same way you would a long range rifle... A bolt action will always be more accurate/consistent due to the lack of moving parts. This holds true with just about anything. The more moving parts you have the more there is a chance for even the slightest error.
JDSapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSapp View Post
Think of a press the same way you would a long range rifle... A bolt action will always be more accurate/consistent due to the lack of moving parts. This holds true with just about anything. The more moving parts you have the more there is a chance for even the slightest error.
That's been my experience. With the old Dillon, you have to push one knob to load a primer into the cup, and another knob to load a charge of powder. The primer system is problematic and fails from time to time. As a result I'm constantly fiddling with it and have on a couple occasions seated a bullet and realized I forgot to charge the case. Had one squib load in my .45 as a result. Caught the rest and grabbed the bullet puller, but it's just not worth the risk.

If I were only reloading high volume pistol practice rounds and no rifle rounds, I'd go with a new Dillon, but since I only have room on the bench for one press to do both, I was looking at a turret style, hoping for the best of both worlds. Unfortunately reading reviews on all of them, there seems to be some slop/play in the turret, which makes them less than ideal.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Ron S

Well for what it's worth, after doing lots of online research, here's my grand plan. I'm looking at buying a Lee Classic Cast single stage press for rifle. As cheap as it is, it reportedly does a better job than many of the more expensive presses. I'm also looking at buying the Lee cast turret press strictly for pistol ammo. Then I'm going to buy the Lee base plate setup so I can easily swap presses depending on what I need to load for.

I'll post up my results/impressions sometime after Father's Day...
Old 10-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
Ron S

Well I ended up doing what I said I'd do. Bought the two Lee presses on sale, along with the Lee base plate setup. I gotta say, it's working out great. The single stage is rock solid and very precise. Been loading for my 30-06 and 7mm-08 with great results. Loaded about 1,200 rounds of .40 S&W on the turret press very smoothly as well.

For anyone in the same boat as me, wanting to load precision rifle rounds and a moderate amount of pistol rounds, but with limited bench space. This is a nice option.

Ron.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
North Star
Max

Thanks for doing the research and letting us know the choice you made. Helpful info.