Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
MeTo

Re: Fish story, safety lesson!

A dive watch and knowing how any kicks it takes to get to a certain depth will let you know where your at. I dive very conservative and usually not much more then 30-50 and in the past few years less then a minute. In 25 feet or less I have to find a hand hold to stay down. I love this sport and have taken a lot of people on my boat, I stress to them to dive positive. When something goes wrong it's easier to find someone floating on the surface then underwater.
I think it's important to stress safety when we post, no fish is worth leaving behind loved ones. If your diving deeper then 30 you will be negative anyways.
It really bothers me that people don't take this diving positive thing to heart.
There are people diving way longer and deeper then we do up here using this technique with great success.
You do have to play with it and every day is different. I also notice that as the day goes on I have to drop weight to remaine positive.
If you have the time take a PFI course, you learn a lot. I took Teds course a few years ago and was happy with the small class size(6) and private boat.
Just my thoughts on all this!
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
Behslayer

I'll elaborate on what I do and what to watch out for in this situation.. If I'm feeling stressed I undo my weightbelt and hold the end of the belt in place with two fingers. I do this quite often. If I blackout or lose motor control the belt will drop and I have had this happen. In carl's case there is one more consideration.. His fin is broke in half. So he could drop his belt and then have it snag on his broken fin.. Visualization is key. If you run through all these things in your mind before they happen you can avoid that secondary mistake. Like you drop your belt and then you have no knife.. which is why I carry a second knife in my sleeve etc.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #18
MeTo

I under stand your technique. I have done dives to 50 feet +- without any weight and a 5mil, you shoot up like a rocket. I still feel that being weighted positive on the surface is the best thing to do, no fish is worth dieing for.
We can all do what we want, but I would not pass the less then safe things as normal.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #19
prop

you should look into an frv
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #20
cougarprey

Glad to hear you made it home safe. Having never experienced loss of motor control or blackout I have to wonder what that experience is like and if there are any additional signs that someone could look for. Seeing stars? Feeling of euphoria? Convulsing? What about diaphram contractions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cougarprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
longcj

Thank you for sharing. I think a lot of us who love this sport share that 'can do, never stop, never give up' mentality, but no one fish/bug is worth it. I'll bet you money that sharing your story will save at least one life, so thanks.
longcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
jersymudsniper

Was just at block on sat. Tons of slobs in 40 and 50 ft. Was a good day. I had a similar experience in south jersey last year. Shot a nice bass at end of my breathold. Charged it to grab shaft. Fish slipped my grip. She took off and got my shooting line tangled around my ankle. Pulling down and i need to go up still 30 ft down! I got untangled and headed up. I made it but took a while to get right and overcome. In that time i never thought to unlatch belt. I have since then. Good post. Glad you made it home safe.

Last edited by jersymudsniper; 07-25-2017 at 08:20 PM.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote